LegacyGT.com

Just bought Conti ExtremeContact DWS!!

08LGT80

I can understand the snow traction complaints from people who have used snow tires before.

I cannot understand the noise complaints. These are by far the quietest performance all season tires I've ever had on my car.

I guess noise is all relative though. Try riding on some Z1s.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oddly enough RE92's were mounted on the car when I bought it a month and a half ago. Really strange is the passenger side tires were worn more then driver side.

Nonetheless I don't remember the car exhibiting the same noise before the new tires. May have been covered up by the faulty wheel bearing??

I'm pretty close to taking Continentals offer and sending these back to TireRack.

I'll let you guys know if that magically cures the noise and vibration issue.

After several days of snow driving on these DWS tires, I have come to the conclusion that a dedicated snow tire set is necessary here in New England. Another blizzard possible on Saturday and the winter is only getting started. Will be ordering Gislaved Nordfrost-5 tires to put on my unused original Leg GT rims. If they can't make a snowtire in Sweden, then no one can.

DWS is great for D and W but forget the S bullsh**. Seems like an advertising gimmick, but I fell for it.

After several days of snow driving on these DWS tires, I have come to the conclusion that a dedicated snow tire set is necessary here in New England. Another blizzard possible on Saturday and the winter is only getting started. Will be ordering Gislaved Nordfrost-5 tires to put on my unused original Leg GT rims. If they can't make a snowtire in Sweden, then no one can.

DWS is great for D and W but forget the S bullsh**. Seems like an advertising gimmick, but I fell for it.

Watch out for saying this tire isn't good for snow. I got attacked when I said it.

Again, worst tire ever for snow.

I also went with the Gislaved Nordfrost 5 and now I am driving around with full confidence and this tire is 200 times better then the DWS is snow. Yeah it's a dedicated winter tire but it's like going from full slicks to a decent tire in snow.

Watch out for saying this tire isn't good for snow. I got attacked when I said it.

Again, worst tire ever for snow.

I also went with the Gislaved Nordfrost 5 and now I am driving around with full confidence and this tire is 200 times better then the DWS is snow. Yeah it's a dedicated winter tire but it's like going from full slicks to a decent tire in snow.

You thought this tire was going to be some sort of magical snake oil tire. You were asking this tire to do things that I wouldn't attempt without dedicated studded snows.

If you live in the snow belt, GET SNOW TIRES!

No, you got flamed after you put up a video of you driving like an idiot on 4" of snow on all seasons. Meanwhile you blamed the tires.

:whore:

You thought this tire was going to be some sort of magical snake oil tire. You were asking this tire to do things that I wouldn't attempt without dedicated studded snows.

I don't think driving the speed limit warrants studded tires in my area. Maybe in the Arctic. You like to take things to the next level. From that video I posted, there could be 14" of snow and I would be able to stop now in 1/3 the time as in that video.

The tires do very poor in snow. No other way to say it. You can say I drive like an idiot or whatever but the tires still suck in any snow unless you want to do 10km/h everywhere or it doesn't snow in your area.

No, you got flamed after you put up a video of you driving like an idiot on 4" of snow on all seasons. Meanwhile you blamed the tires.

Yes driving the speed limit is driving like an idiot! The tires are still very poor in any snow conditions no matter how I drive.

+34,958,231 Retardness does not pay. :)

I agree. Buying tires you think will be able to handle minimal snow and then finding out the PR people at Continental are blowing stuff out their rear does not pay in the end.

Yeeeeeaaah! Put the video back up! That'll show those PR people at Continental what crap they're spewing out their butts! :) Yeah! Let's show them, all you have to do is post the video back up so we can all be amazed at your video proof of the PR ass spewing done by Continental. :) We'll show them, right???
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

I don't think driving the speed limit warrants studded tires in my area. Maybe in the Arctic. You like to take things to the next level. From that video I posted, there could be 14" of snow and I would be able to stop now in 1/3 the time as in that video.

The tires do very poor in snow. No other way to say it. You can say I drive like an idiot or whatever but the tires still suck in any snow unless you want to do 10km/h everywhere or it doesn't snow in your area.

That's funny because I had no trouble slowing down from 40mph in 5 - 6 inches when I went out in the storm we had last week.

Slowing down in 14 inches of snow? lol Of course you could stop faster. You'll be plowing a good 8 inches of it.

Yes driving the speed limit is driving like an idiot! The tires are still very poor in any snow conditions no matter how I drive.

So you're saying it's ok to drive as fast as the posted limit, with complete disregard for conditions. Bravo, that's the dumbest comment I've heard in a while.

I agree. Buying tires you think will be able to handle minimal snow and then finding out the PR people at Continental are blowing stuff out their rear does not pay in the end.

They do fine. You bought all season tires for an area that sees a lot of snow every year.

Go ahead and ask how many of our Canadian members run all seasons in the winter.

That's funny because I had no trouble slowing down from 40mph in 5 - 6 inches when I went out in the storm we had last week.

Slowing down in 14 inches of snow? lol Of course you could stop faster. You'll be plowing a good 8 inches of it.

So you're saying it's ok to drive as fast as the posted limit, with complete disregard for conditions. Bravo, that's the dumbest comment I've heard in a while.

They do fine. You bought all season tires for an area that sees a lot of snow every year.

Go ahead and ask how many of our Canadian members run all seasons in the winter.

I believe that snow tires are mandatory in Quebec and possibly other provinces. I wish that they were mandatory in all 6 New England states from Nov 15 to April 15 - everybody would be safer overall.

Yeeeeeaaah! Put the video back up! That'll show those PR people at Continental what crap they're spewing out their butts! :) Yeah! Let's show them, all you have to do is post the video back up so we can all be amazed at your video proof of the PR ass spewing done by Continental. :) We'll show them, right???

:lol::lol:My thoughts exactly.

+1 to that. We don't get that much snow in our area so it in no means makes snow tires a requirement but I had no issues in our 7 or inches of dry, powdery snow.

I believe that snow tires are mandatory in Quebec and possibly other provinces.

I thought the exact same thing. :iam:

:lol::lol:My thoughts exactly.

+1 to that. We don't get that much snow in our area so it in no means makes snow tires a requirement but I had no issues in our 7 or inches of dry, powdery snow.

I thought the exact same thing. :iam:

Just researched the Canadian snow tire question. SInce 2008, all vehicles registered in Quebec must have snow tires on from Dec 15 to Mar 15th, otherwise a $200- $300 fine.

I did a fair amount of research before settling on the DWS's as replacement for the original Yokahamas on my Legacy. These tires are consistently rated as top of the line high performance AS tires specially on snow, by users at sites such as TireRack (#1 out of 24), amongst others.

Although I've only had these tires a few weeks I have driven on enough snow, including a good sized fall today to conclude that these tires are the best AS tires on snow that I've ever driven on.

To Pinter and other disappointed reviewers: As many members have posted these are all season tires! If you choose to use all season tires in a moderately snowy area as I have for the last 30 years without any problem you have to drive according to conditions. This generally means slow down and drive cautiously on snowy or slippery roads. You also need to replace them once you get to around 5/32nds before going into a winter as I just did with the Yokahamas.

Yeah, it's pretty obvious that Pinter doesn't know how to drive in snow and/or has unreasonable expectations of what an A/S tire is capable of.

For what it is worth Consumer Reports rated the tire as "Good" on snow and ice which is a blank circle and they did rank some A/S tires higher in snow traction.

The thing to remember is that All tires are a comprimise and it is up to the individual and their needs to determine what they must have and can live without.

True testament of these tires is:

Every winter season they've been out they are always sold out/on back order. Not that they are a dedicated snow tire, but they're obviously good enough for many folks out there.

/thread

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

just imagine going 50mph and trying to slow down to turn right onto a street in about 30ft in 6" of snow. that's pretty much the summary of the vid.

Actually it was 2" of snow and about 300 feet away from the turn but thanks for coming out.

Yeah, it's pretty obvious that Pinter doesn't know how to drive in snow and/or has unreasonable expectations of what an A/S tire is capable of.

I don't know how to drive in snow? Um ok, do you even know where I live? Also I know what an A/S is capable of and compared to other AS tires I have owned, this one performs the worst when there is snow. With no snow, it's a decent tire. I am not the only person who is saying this. The tire doesn't stop or turn in any safe distance with snow on the ground. How is that good?

For what it is worth Consumer Reports rated the tire as "Good" on snow and ice which is a blank circle and they did rank some A/S tires higher in snow traction.

The thing to remember is that All tires are a comprimise and it is up to the individual and their needs to determine what they must have and can live without.

this couldnt even have made the turn going the speeds he was in that vid

http://image.internetautoguide.com/f/aftermarket/cars-you-need-to-survive-what-will-happen-in-2012/26123054/subaru-sti-car-with-tank-tracks-on-all-fours.jpg

I had a chance to swap the tires from DWS's to Michelin Pilot A/S Plus.

Wow what a difference in dry handling. The Michelins inspire quite a bit more confidence then the DWS's.

Although the Michelins are slightly quieter and smooth they didn't fix the whirring noise I complained about before. My Legacy has appt with the dealer this coming monday to have a tech look for more wheel bearing issues. Hopefully thats what it is so I can finally get to the bottom of this.

Side Note - I shipped the tires back to Tire Rack and they are giving me refund on tires minus shipping. I'm glad I got the Michelins but if I knew it wasn't going to completely cure the noise I wouldn't have swapped them. The DWS are good but not as good as the Michelins from what I have experienced so far. If I had it to do over again I would have ordered the Pilot Sport A/S Plus's from the get go. The DWS's did fine at 70-75mph in the 2"+ storm we received a few weeks ago. I had no issues even beginning to get out of control. Keeping a good distance from other cars I was easily able to apply light/moderate braking and slow down without slip. Changing lanes was no problem either. Starting from a stop was a big issue. Every other tire Ive used, including the previous Conti Extreme Contact all seasons I had on my WRX were good for very minimal slip on take off. The DWS's just spin if you don't feather the clutch and come off really easily. Low speed braking sucked in the snow compared to other all season tires I had!! There is no bite at all and ABS is completely ineffective if you need to "hit the brakes" in an emergency situation. Even the crappy Yokohama's I had on my 95 Impreza L with no ABS did a much better job of biting in similar situations.

I haven't gotten the Michelins out in the snow yet, but if they are even slightly as good as my Arctic Alpins were on my 99 Legacy GT I'll be very happy!!

Archived