LegacyGT.com

Just bought Conti ExtremeContact DWS!!

08LGT80

Actually it was 2" of snow and about 300 feet away from the turn but thanks for coming out.

Repost the video then. You're 100% right, correct? Just post it and we can all be amazed at your driving and the statement of the exact conditions, speed, and distance. Seems like a win/win for you!!! :D

Waiting on you. :)

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, it's pretty obvious that Pinter doesn't know how to drive in snow and/or has unreasonable expectations of what an A/S tire is capable of.

For what it is worth Consumer Reports rated the tire as "Good" on snow and ice which is a blank circle and they did rank some A/S tires higher in snow traction.

The thing to remember is that All tires are a comprimise and it is up to the individual and their needs to determine what they must have and can live without.

Just curious on those rated higher on snow and ice, are they high performance tires available on the typical 17" or 18" sizes that the Legacy uses?

If you could post the particulars I think a lot of us are interested. You may also help our friend Pinter choose his next set. I'm sure he's itching to be rid of his DWS's. :lol:

I was mistaken, they didn't rate any higher than the DWS in snow and ice performance. The tires rated above the DWS all had "Good" for snow and ice but were rated higher in some other categories. These are all UHP AS tires btw. Ratings go like this:

1) Pirelli P Zero Nero All Season

2) Sumitomo HTR A/S PO1 (a bargain at $99 a tire)

3) Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus

4) Continental Extreme Contact DWS

5) Sumitomo HTR +

6) etc...

The DWS was rated tops in wet braking btw.

Thanks Shrinermonkey

The equivelant top 6 UHP AS tires as rated by users on Tirerack's site is as follows:

1 Continental ExtremeContact DWS

2 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus

3 Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position

4 Yokohama AVID ENVigor (W)

5 Continental ContiExtremeContact

6 Pirelli PZero Nero All Season

The DWS's ranked highest in all categories except cornering and dry traction.

I swapped my DWS tires and put on Gislaved Nordfrost 5's for the winter. Drove around in 3" of fresh snow last night to test them out. The difference is absolutely night and day in terms of snow performance. It made me a true believer in the virtues of dedicated snow tires. Now I see why they are mandatory in Canada. The snow performance of these tires is as good or better than my original RE92's were in the rain.

Burok, Snow tires are not mandatory in Canada. Only in Quebec which is one out of twelve provinces.

As I posted earlier if you live in a moderately snowy area and drive cautiously in snowy conditions then good AS tires with a reasonable tread depth will be fine.

If you don't mind the cost and inconvenience of changing tires/wheels twice a year, or live in an an area where it's warranted then by all means get snow tires.

Watch out for saying this tire isn't good for snow. I got attacked when I said it.

Again, worst tire ever for snow.

I also went with the Gislaved Nordfrost 5 and now I am driving around with full confidence and this tire is 200 times better then the DWS is snow. Yeah it's a dedicated winter tire but it's like going from full slicks to a decent tire in snow.

AGAIN THIS IS NOT A DEDICATED SNOW TIRE IDOIT!

I love my DWS. In the snow we have had, felt more secure than the bridgestone's it came with. Again this is NOT A DEDICATED SNOW so in no way shape or form will this be better than snow tires, but I must say, you comment about this tire being "the worst tire ever in snow" is completely absurd.

Actually it was 2" of snow and about 300 feet away from the turn but thanks for coming out.

I don't know how to drive in snow? Um ok, do you even know where I live? Also I know what an A/S is capable of and compared to other AS tires I have owned, this one performs the worst when there is snow. With no snow, it's a decent tire. I am not the only person who is saying this. The tire doesn't stop or turn in any safe distance with snow on the ground. How is that good?

Doesn't stop or turn? I have had no problem coming to a safe hault, or turning with snow on the roads this winter so far. Someone needs to learn to EASE into the brakes, not just slam on them. I bet if you went hard on the brakes with dedicated snows you still would slide.

And I don't think anyone on here would complain with getting a little drifting action around a corner in the snow. Hence the reason we bought AWD, so when we do slide, it can correct with ease. Someone probably is a new young driver here and needs to learn proper mechanics of driving in snow.

BTW, that video was the essence of stupidity driving in snow conditions.

Where's that awesome video? :iam: I thought we were going to "out" those HORRIBLE PR people at Continental??? :confused: They CAN NOT be allowed to continue to spread such drivel by writing fake reviews under hundreds of AE's as they pose as people on various tire review sites that claim this so called "All-Season" tire is good!!! :mad: We must STOP the conspiracy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :spin:
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

AGAIN THIS IS NOT A DEDICATED SNOW TIRE IDOIT!

I love my DWS. In the snow we have had, felt more secure than the bridgestone's it came with. Again this is NOT A DEDICATED SNOW so in no way shape or form will this be better than snow tires, but I must say, you comment about this tire being "the worst tire ever in snow" is completely absurd.

I never said it was a dedicated snow tire. Learn how to read please. Also, it has been the worst AS tire in winter I have ever experienced.

Doesn't stop or turn? I have had no problem coming to a safe hault, or turning with snow on the roads this winter so far. Someone needs to learn to EASE into the brakes, not just slam on them. I bet if you went hard on the brakes with dedicated snows you still would slide.

And I don't think anyone on here would complain with getting a little drifting action around a corner in the snow. Hence the reason we bought AWD, so when we do slide, it can correct with ease. Someone probably is a new young driver here and needs to learn proper mechanics of driving in snow.

BTW, that video was the essence of stupidity driving in snow conditions.

Yes I had issues stopping or turning and no I was not slamming on the brakes and no I am not a new driver. I am a 6 star driver (as per insurance) with zero accidents since the beginning of my time driving.

Where's that awesome video? :iam: I thought we were going to "out" those HORRIBLE PR people at Continental??? :confused: They CAN NOT be allowed to continue to spread such drivel by writing fake reviews under hundreds of AE's as they pose as people on various tire review sites that claim this so called "All-Season" tire is good!!! :mad: We must STOP the conspiracy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :spin:

I could upload it and have no problem with the video but most of you people can't handle it when others disagree and act like 12 years old. It's seriously like arguing with a wall. I wish one of you lived close to me, I would swap out the DWS back onto the car and would go for a drive and show you how there is zero traction in snow above 20 km/h.

For the people who is saying it's one of the best AS tires you have had, I am glad you feel that way and the tire is working out so good for you but 10 minutes out in a car with real tires would show you just how crappy they are.

I could upload it and have no problem with the video but most of you people can't handle it when others disagree and act like 12 years old.

I can handle it as I do not own a set of ExtremeContact DWS's, and I am not 12.

Please upload video.

habitual derail-er

I could upload it and have no problem with the video but most of you people can't handle it when others disagree and act like 12 years old. It's seriously like arguing with a wall. I wish one of you lived close to me, I would swap out the DWS back onto the car and would go for a drive and show you how there is zero traction in snow above 20 km/h.

For the people who is saying it's one of the best AS tires you have had, I am glad you feel that way and the tire is working out so good for you but 10 minutes out in a car with real tires would show you just how crappy they are.

I know the feeling.

Anyways. GTFO. You live in a place where you need dedicated snows and you tried to get away with all-seasons. You failed. You learned your lesson. Now seriously GTFO!

"I wish one of you lived close to me, I would swap out the DWS back onto the car and would go for a drive and show you how there is zero traction in snow above 20 km/h."

We don't need to I have the same car as you with the AWS's and the above statement is ridiculous.

Pinter, Look at the the table on this link from user ratings from Tirerack: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=UHPAS

The AWS's rank as #1 in the category including on snow and ice, outranking much more expensive tires such as Michelin and Pirelli's, this is based on people who have driven 3.7 million miles on them.

Are you trying to tell us that you have have some special insight that the hundreds of people who have driven the 3.7 million miles on them have missed ?

Please, get real!

A troll is throwing you guys bait, and you're taking it.

The DWS is nowhere near a snow tire, but the best all season as far as noise levels, wet weather performance, and snow and ice. I was skeptical of the tire at first, but its amazed me this winter.

Was going to get the Michelin A/S Plus but just cost too much money.

I can handle it as I do not own a set of ExtremeContact DWS's, and I am not 12.

Please upload video.

I am sure you can but not all the others can.

I know the feeling.

Anyways. GTFO. You live in a place where you need dedicated snows and you tried to get away with all-seasons. You failed. You learned your lesson. Now seriously GTFO!

I don't need dedicated winters here. It's is not the law therefor not required but nice to have. I am sorry I upset you to write GTFO 2 whole times in a sentence. I know it must have been hard to write out all those letters.

"I wish one of you lived close to me, I would swap out the DWS back onto the car and would go for a drive and show you how there is zero traction in snow above 20 km/h."

We don't need to I have the same car as you with the AWS's and the above statement is ridiculous.

Pinter, Look at the the table on this link from user ratings from Tirerack: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=UHPAS

The AWS's rank as #1 in the category including on snow and ice, outranking much more expensive tires such as Michelin and Pirelli's, this is based on people who have driven 3.7 million miles on them.

Are you trying to tell us that you have have some special insight that the hundreds of people who have driven the 3.7 million miles on them have missed ?

Please, get real!

I read the same reviews as you and saw it was one of the best tires. However once I received them and has my first snow fall, my opinion was greatly changed.

Again, the tires are fine in the dry and wet but as soon as there is snow in the equation, then no, it's a tire that performs poorly in my experiences.

I don't know how a tire can be good when your not able to stop and slow down in a safe distance. You also can't drive 1/4th the speed limit just because that's the safe speed at the tires. Where I live for the most part, people still do the speed limit in snow and if I can't safely stop when doing the speed limit because my tires have no grip at all so again, how do these make the tires good?

Again, good tire for 3 seasons but not 4.

A troll is throwing you guys bait, and you're taking it.

The DWS is nowhere near a snow tire, but the best all season as far as noise levels, wet weather performance, and snow and ice. I was skeptical of the tire at first, but its amazed me this winter.

Was going to get the Michelin A/S Plus but just cost too much money.

Not trolling, just explaining myself over and over again because a few members here are very special and don't understand different people have different opinions and that they just like to argue.

Let's be clear about one thing: we argue when facts are misrepresented and video proof backs it up. That's it buddy, plain and simple. Your account of what the tire was not doing and the video "proof" you posted made it very clear you did not know what you were talking about. Very straight forward.

If you would like to post another video that better explains and shows what issues you are having in the snow, please, by all means do. Don't hide behind "you're all 12 years olds and won't get it" BS. Just post the video and we'll talk about this like adults. You act like a kid, you get treated like one. You're acting like an adult now, so let's talk in an adult manner. Post the video so we can see what you're referencing about these only being able to travel in snow at 1/4 the speed limit. That is simply me asking you to back up your above claim. Nothing else, nothing more. :) Ready when you are.

I do not put much faith into user rankings on tirerack.

I would read lowest score opinions to make sure that is nothing very bad but reading that "my tires suck in snow" and reviewer writes about summer tires.

It says more about person than about tires.

I pay more attention to test results, hopefully from multiple sources.

Krzys

^^^what he said. Seemed to me that car in the video comparison was getting along just fine...

And the reason ppl in your area are driving faster than you in snow is bc they are most likely using dedicated snows. You live in an area that needs dedicated snows so stop your complaining and move along...

Archived