LegacyGT.com

Racer X (itsme) FMIC install

itsme

I clocked the inlet slightly. Was still not happy. I even had to bend the pipe some to change the angle it was facing. This could be because it is a 68HTA and not an OEM turbo. Not sure. Will know better after installing the VF-39 in LALGT's car next week.

Either way, my line was too short and I was unhappy with the bends. So, I replaced it with 25cents worth of hose. Either way, I am sure it works. Funny, looks like you have 3 clamps on the line just like me. As long as the hose is not kinked or leaking it is fine.

Sorry to hear about all the struggles LGTspecB. I hear you had some assistance today in tightening up some of the leaks. Seems you are having the hardest time with the j pipe. Modding can cause headaches sometimes.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was afraid to bend it like that. My stock hose, flipped around, worked fine. Maybe I should replace the bottom hose, it was a bit of a stretch to get it to fit.

Ok so here are pictures.

I had to lift the third hotpipe (the long one), really high to get the pipes even close to lining up. As you can see, the lower the third hotpipe, the worse the angle gets between the crooked fitting. the only way to make that fitting less crooked is to lift the third hotpipe up as high as it can go. so that is what I did. cutting the j-pipe 1" shorter allowed the second hotpipe to line up with the j-pipe, for the most part. Its all still really haphazard. The connection below my intake is not real happy either... it does not line up great since I had to lift that long pipe up. The turbo coupler is pretty stressed too. The other 3 pipes lift up on it. I don't really trust the connection.

Its hard to describe, but this was the best alignment I was able to come up with. Trust me, I tried everything too.

I am going to make a custom hot-pipe.

581217098_SNC12524(Medium).JPG.d04c9a2df78f8fba3109acc6adbdbd13.JPG

1424131055_SNC12525(Medium).JPG.5940f2fc5f1e003aeaf4239a586577a7.JPG

1547049162_SNC12526(Medium).JPG.984cc0d8fc59ab278945cae29450fc6b.JPG

1170538294_SNC12527(Medium).JPG.d00e27c7c7dfd21ff927c695b21b8184.JPG

823272862_SNC12528(Medium).JPG.d27b98818e6207dae44155232c0d99b9.JPG

1103964905_SNC12529(Medium).JPG.38dbf1a32181151ecdb13d6bb5697f67.JPG

2082546742_SNC12530(Medium).JPG.4210aab46e9f80186a54f7eba18406f6.JPG

I clocked the inlet slightly. Was still not happy. I even had to bend the pipe some to change the angle it was facing. This could be because it is a 68HTA and not an OEM turbo. Not sure. Will know better after installing the VF-39 in LALGT's car next week.

Either way, my line was too short and I was unhappy with the bends. So, I replaced it with 25cents worth of hose. Either way, I am sure it works. Funny, looks like you have 3 clamps on the line just like me. As long as the hose is not kinked or leaking it is fine.

Sorry to hear about all the struggles LGTspecB. I hear you had some assistance today in tightening up some of the leaks. Seems you are having the hardest time with the j pipe. Modding can cause headaches sometimes.

:lol: I went back to look at your pics and realized you already had the coolant inlet clocked so I deleted the post. The third clamp in that pic was from burping the coolant system before putting fresh ones on - I didn't feel like doing it again so I put the worm clamp on while the hose was in place.:)

Inlet looks good. Wish mine had lined up that way.

From the pic it looks like your turbo sits a hair farther towards the firewall than mine. I can see the electrical connector under your turbo, where mine is covered by the turbo outlet. This could be the difference in turbos. My 68HTA and yours.

If this is the case it could explain why your pipe off the turbo is too long. The inch could be the tubos mouting and outlet positions. Unfortunately Bryan could not round up every turbo to try. We went off his more than anything.

This is good info though. This could be something that more members see. I will take pix of LALGT's car when we put the VF-39 in. That way we have comparisons of my 68HTA and his VF-39.

I was afraid to bend it like that. My stock hose, flipped around, worked fine. Maybe I should replace the bottom hose, it was a bit of a stretch to get it to fit.

Ok so here are pictures.

I had to lift the third hotpipe (the long one), really high to get the pipes even close to lining up. As you can see, the lower the third hotpipe, the worse the angle gets between the crooked fitting. the only way to make that fitting less crooked is to lift the third hotpipe up as high as it can go. so that is what I did. cutting the j-pipe 1" shorter allowed the second hotpipe to line up with the j-pipe, for the most part. Its all still really haphazard. The connection below my intake is not real happy either... it does not line up great since I had to lift that long pipe up. The turbo coupler is pretty stressed too. The other 3 pipes lift up on it. I don't really trust the connection.

Its hard to describe, but this was the best alignment I was able to come up with. Trust me, I tried everything too.

Have you tried flipping the bend pipe that connects to the J around? I got the best results with the weld closest to the J-pipe coupler, opposite of how you have it in that pic.

Have you tried flipping the bend pipe that connects to the J around? I got the best results with the weld closest to the J-pipe coupler' date=' opposite of how you have it in that pic.[/quote']

I tried both ways, yes. Turns out, that pipe is a mirror image of itself, at least mine is. Perhaps they welded the wrong 2 halves together? (2 short halves rather than 1 short, 1 long). I even measured, my WRX turbo pipe is the exact same pipe on both sides, welded together. At least that is the conclusion I came to.

Like I said, I am going to buy a U-pipe and completely eliminate both the J-pipe and the wrx turbo pipe. I will also buy some random couplers and just mix and match until I get something correct. I personally think a U-pipe would look nice there too. Nice smooth path and I eliminate a coupler.

Thanks for the help guys.

I tried both ways, yes. Turns out, that pipe is a mirror image of itself, at least mine is. Perhaps they welded the wrong 2 halves together? (2 short halves rather than 1 short, 1 long). I even measured, my WRX turbo pipe is the exact same pipe on both sides, welded together. At least that is the conclusion I came to.

Like I said, I am going to buy a U-pipe and completely eliminate both the J-pipe and the wrx turbo pipe. I will also buy some random couplers and just mix and match until I get something correct. I personally think a U-pipe would look nice there too. Nice smooth path and I eliminate a coupler.

Thanks for the help guys.

It should definitely not be symmetrical on both sides of the weld (well mine isn't, anyway), looks like you may have the wrong piece.

Ok so here are pictures.

It looks like the opening of the 3rd pipe (running along pass side) is angled too far down, are you able to clock it upward at all, possibly by readjusting the pass side core pipe? I think this is directly related to your issue with not being able to get the core pipe inside of the tow hook.

Pics of mine:

http://legacygt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=605&pictureid=3250

http://legacygt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=605&pictureid=3249

Ahhhhhh. The pipe should not be symmetrical. The longer side is about 2 inches longer. In a straight line it is like 6.5" one side and 4.5" on the other. Sounds like the factory made a mistake and it slipped through. I am sure Bryan could take car of that.

Grim hit the nail on the head with the pipe alignment. Mine is very similar to his in angles.

Shoot Shamar a email He will cut you some slack. Just explain the issue briefly. He hates long emails, lol.

08Legacy08

Thanks for helping me with the install. Hope you upload those pics off your camera. All that work deserves more cold Sam Summer Ale! Let me know when you order more couplers so we can cut the battery pipe.

M Sprank....I did what you did with the engine cover. Thank you for the idea.

1894125263_2010-05-1511_52_38.thumb.jpg.08c26e119bb192bc0ce79c153afc1225.jpg

hmmm I will look again.

I might just try cutting more of my j-pipe to make it shorter. If you look at my pictures above, it looks like it will level out the WRX pipe and make it line up better with the third hotpipe.

Meanwhile my 30 day timer with Infamous is counting down....

I would look again... I can see in the third pic you posted above that it is not the same length on both sides. I'm pretty confident if you angle the long 3rd pipe up a bit (rotated counter clockwise from the front) and flip that pipe around you'll be ok.

btw you're bpv return hose is not NEARLY as kinked as mine:lol: Seriously though I need to find a more permanent solution for this...

http://legacygt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=605&pictureid=3260

I would look again... I can see in the third pic you posted above that it is not the same length on both sides. I'm pretty confident if you angle the long 3rd pipe up a bit (rotated counter clockwise from the front) and flip that pipe around you'll be ok.

It might not be symmetrical, but it looks nothing like yours. BTW one side is further in the coupler than the other, so in the pictures it might not look as symmetrical.

Looking at your pics, and spranks pics, my pipe is VERY different than the ones in your pictures.

I cannot angle the third hotpipe any differently to make it better, I tried. I seriously think my WRX "adder" pipe is wrong.

When you use a STI style turbo you don't use the turbo flange and use the 6" extendion in this picture. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u156/itsmebryan/P1060286.jpg

Bryan,

My pipe does NOT look like this. See how the left side is shorter in the above pic? The pipe I have is 2 left sides welded together. I would say my pipe is at least 2" shorter than what is depicted above.

Because of this, I am having a heck of a time lining up the pipes (as you can see in my posts). I did not even think of this, but I should have looked at Balrock01's pipes when I was over at his house to see what his looked like. crap.

Question: After the install....my car vibrates alot when the car is stopped or idle. Do you think I would need another tune or is one of the pipes hitting something to make the car vibrate? I checked all the bolts and everything is tight.

Question: After the install....my car vibrates alot when the car is stopped or idle. Do you think I would need another tune or is one of the pipes hitting something to make the car vibrate? I checked all the bolts and everything is tight.

Are any metal bits touching/close to anything else or are all the FMIC pipes clear except for the battery? Definately a rattle at idle could be an FMIC rattle particularly if you did not have it before. Mine did till I adjusted it a bit - had to make sure it was clear of everything.

Its best not too. but i understand that it might have to.

sorry, it is 4:30am here. i am going back to bed. the wife gets pissed when i stay up all night "playing" with my car and chatting with "boyfriends" on the forum.

btw you're bpv return hose is not NEARLY as kinked as mine:lol: Seriously though I need to find a more permanent solution for this...

http://legacygt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=605&pictureid=3260

Did you take off th bolts that hold the return hose to the manifold? It should give you more slack then that.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Its not hitting the masterC. Jpipe is clear but vibrating. I can feel it on the brake pedal and steering wheel.

So you say you feel it not here it? When the car is running is the engine shaking? You already said it's not hitting the brake cylinder and the pipes run nowhere near the steering. You could have a leak somewhere? The engine can vibrate when you have a vac. leak or a lose t-clamp.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Archived