LegacyGT.com

Racer X (itsme) FMIC install

itsme

I was thinking of installing an LCD TV in there! What do you think? LOL. Honestly though, I'm going to put some mesh grille material in there and match it to the mesh in the front.

I agree - it looks awful silly the way it is!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Installed mine today... some crappy cell phone pics:

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m38/KineticTheory/2010-05-09193035.jpg

Your core is MUCH more on center than mine. Time to take the bumper back off and move everything back around. I will try pushing the cold pipe further into the TB coupler... though I feel like its in there pretty far.

Sprank, did you just use a 2" coupler on the STI turbo? Its a little loose, I just cranked the clamp down hardcore.

Yup. Used the 2" coupler that is supplied. It is a little loose before clamping. Once it is clamped it is good to go. Mine holds 23si no problems.

All the kits I have installed the core is about 1/2 inch off center. That is all. You can not really tell without a measuring tape. It is all about the fit off the core and how you trim the metal to allow the pipes to come closer to the car.

I hate how mine is in there crooked... I've noticed this on other's installs too. I'm pulling it apart this weekend to do some more cutting (while my buddy has his plasma cutter). I might even trim the beam a little bit.The cold air up pipe (driver's side) is awfully tight in there I wonder If i can make some more room... I'll update...

I hate how mine is in there crooked... I've noticed this on other's installs too. I'm pulling it apart this weekend to do some more cutting (while my buddy has his plasma cutter). I might even trim the beam a little bit.The cold air up pipe (driver's side) is awfully tight in there I wonder If i can make some more room... I'll update...

Whatever you do DO NOT CUT THE BUMPER BEAM. That is the antithesis of this kit. Just away a bit more flash around the frame rails at the bottom to nestle the fmic pipes BACK and UP where you need them to be to be even.

Don't cut the bumper beam. No one else is.

I found the places that might have them are at the bov, the tb and the connection at the j pipe to the ic pipe on driver's side. The other side seems to have a little more space to wear the pipes should make good connections. I would start there and see what you find. I know I had a boost leak and it came from the driver's side....never found out exactly where the leak was, but adjusted all the pipes and it appears to be gone.

Sounds like you were a little easy on the t-clamps. You need to tighten them down more than expected. They are holding pressure.

+1....I was afraid of bending pipes by tightening the clamps down to hard but I wouldn't worry.

I admit to popping the hotside tube off the turbo the first time I punched it.

After that I torqued the ever loving crap out of all the t-clamps. Never had an issue again until a certain local mechanic working on my clutch decided to strip a t-clamp with a gun. I fixed it.

I think I have some kind of boost leak:When I get on the throttle, right around 2800RPM, I can hear a swoosh begin and as soon as I give it more gas the swoosh gets rediculously loud but it doesn't seem like the car has any balls. Car starts pulling around 4000 rpm but by 4500rpm, the turbo maxes out (the sound that sounds like launch control).With the factory top mount and my Typhoon intake, it had MUCH more responsiveness and didn't make anywhere near the amount of swoosh noise as it does now. Does this sound like boost leak to you? I checked all the silicone clamps... they'r very, very tight. I'm wondering if it might be leaking at the factory BOV and flange. There doesn't seem to be much more than a tiny little rubber gasket between the two...

It could be the bov....the sound seems normal....that parts that bothers me is the lack of "balls". Did you use a new gasket at the bov? Iv'e hav gasket issues there before. You can try some rtv to see if it seals.....otherwise you can do a smoke test and see if any is leaking. If you can't do that, you can get some carb cleaer and spray around all the clamps. If the car revs up whenever you spray it...you know you have a leak. Just spray one place at a time.

There was actually no gasket on the factory BOV other than a tiny, thin rubber gasket that was recessed into the bottom of the BOV valve flange. Should there be a larger flat gasket to seat between the Pipe flange and the BOV to cover more surface area?

There was actually no gasket on the factory BOV other than a tiny, thin rubber gasket that was recessed into the bottom of the BOV valve flange. Should there be a larger flat gasket to seat between the Pipe flange and the BOV to cover more surface area?

I seem to recall someone talking about this, possibly using gasket paper? I am also curious, mine is on with just the little rubber gasket right now.

Upon quick look, it appears as though the BOV flange and Pipe flange are not lined up perfectly (a tiny, tiny bit - although the bolts are through and tight. I'll have to take it apart when I get home and see what's up. I'm thinking there should be a better gasket. What do aftermarket BOV gaskets look like? I'm sure they're bigger like the one we made up for the Turbo/Pipe flange. Anyone?

OEM BPV uses an o-ring. It is recessed into its groove. That is all you should need. The o-ring probably needs to be replaced. When you put the new one on put a small drop of motor oil on the ring to lubricate it. Most aftermarket BPV's have a flat flange and use standard gasket paper.

OEM BPV uses an o-ring. It is recessed into its groove. That is all you should need. The o-ring probably needs to be replaced. When you put the new one on put a small drop of motor oil on the ring to lubricate it. Most aftermarket BPV's have a flat flange and use standard gasket paper.

+1

That's all that the factory bpv requires. For aftermarket bpv/bov's I would recommend gasket paper (i used that and some rtv). But when you take the bpv off the stock tmic, you really should go ahead and replace it as it couldn't has easily ripped and it probably not sealing properly. I think those oem rubber rings are like $6-$8. You could prob just get away with gasket paper and some rtv (if you paranoid).

The flange on the IC piping does not have a groove in it for this little rubber gasket. like the factory TMIC has. So now, the soft skinny gasket is getting squished between the BOV and the flat, non-recessed IC pipe flange and I just don't believe it is proper.We'll see...

Upon quick look, it appears as though the BOV flange and Pipe flange are not lined up perfectly (a tiny, tiny bit - although the bolts are through and tight. I'll have to take it apart when I get home and see what's up. I'm thinking there should be a better gasket. What do aftermarket BOV gaskets look like? I'm sure they're bigger like the one we made up for the Turbo/Pipe flange. Anyone?

That seems to be normal with this kit, my OEM and COBB BOV flanges were both off (outer sides were not flush), especially toward the rear of the pipe flange. There is enough metal on metal to make a seal, though.

If you're looking to make a paper gasket this might help:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/lgt-style-bov-bpv-gasket-template-131741.html?t=131741&highlight=GASKET+TEMPLATE

That seems to be normal with this kit, my OEM and COBB BOV flanges were both off (outer sides were not flush), especially toward the rear of the pipe flange. There is enough metal on metal to make a seal, though.

If you're looking to make a paper gasket this might help:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/lgt-style-bov-bpv-gasket-template-131741.html?t=131741&highlight=GASKET+TEMPLATE

Okay, that answers that question then. I'll tighten it down a bit and see if there's any room there. Maybe an aftermarket BOV is in my near future after all!

Okay, that answers that question then. I'll tighten it down a bit and see if there's any room there. Maybe an aftermarket BOV is in my near future after all!

Keep in mind it is pretty thin aluminum, and will easily warp if overtightened. I also used washers on both sides of the bolt to help distribute the pressure. You will need a gasket, I didn't mean to imply that you wouldn't. The alignment issues I was taking about have to do with the shape of the flange, it is slightly different than the standard LGT one.

Archived