LegacyGT.com

Racer X (itsme) FMIC install

itsme

Targets are the same. But getting there is different with a FMIC. Not just different pressure drop from core, but piping also. You need to make more adjustments. Send Infamous or LBGT a PM if you have questions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Satin finished and painted my IC pipes. I'll probably wrap the 2 pipes off the turbo sometime soon. I also plan to replace all the blue couplers eventually.

Painted my AEM pipe too.

http://photos.imageevent.com/mattg/legacygt/huge/IMG_2425_1.JPG

Finally got my intercooler on. :rolleyes: I've had it since the 1st GB and I may be the last to have installed it. :lol: :lol: Finally got 2 days off in a row so installed it with a buddy 1 day, and he tuned it the next. Fitment was pretty straightforward, but I had to ditch my tall battery. In time, I will make the necessary modification to the pipes with the supplied coupler, but it's good for now.

I have an 05 LGT limited and my bumper must be very different than what everyone else has. We cut where the IC couplers obstruct bumper fitment, but as we cut more into them, the middle of the inside of the bumper got closer and started obstructing. Spent a considerable amount of time cutting the bumper, and it's still not quite right, but it was getting late and we were getting looney so we just put the bumper back on. I realize that any IC core would create this same problem unless it's mounted higher, but that's not as efficient. One thing we noticed that may make a difference; this bumper looks like it was repainted or painted after initial manufacturing, possibly an aftermarket knockoff. But who knows? That could account for the necessary trimming. :confused:

The FMIC is in, it's partially tuned and that will be a work in progress as we install more and more parts that are in waiting. I have a big turbo with meth that will probably be an early fall project so we will challenge the limits of this intercooler. :cool:

All in all, I do not regret the purchase. Seems like good quality materials were used and though fitment is tight, its pretty slick, nonetheless.

pics of your trim job?

When we take the bumper off again to trim it more as necessary, I will be sure to post up pictures. I'm certain my bumper has some different specs, otherwise this thread would be blowing up with the same issue. If I knew as much trimming were required, I would have taken before and after pictures to possibly aide in other people's installs.

When we take the bumper off again to trim it more as necessary, I will be sure to post up pictures. I'm certain my bumper has some different specs, otherwise this thread would be blowing up with the same issue. If I knew as much trimming were required, I would have taken before and after pictures to possibly aide in other people's installs.

I think he is talking about bumper skin. The '05-'06 go deeper into the lower opening.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Correct, the bumper skin. It does go very deep and will still require a considerable amount more of trimming to be perfect. Have others reported this in the early models as I have that I missed?

Otherwise, it fits nice and snug behind the bumper beam.

i dono about this kit but with the xo2 and judging by how close that pipe is to the positive terminal i would recomend a battery relocation kit they range between $40-$70 on ebay i think its worth it for the extra room and not a very difficult project

Welcome to the forum. The battery you are referencing is aftermarket with large cables for a stereo. This plays into the fit. Over 60 kits have been sold. The kits come with an adapter for larger batteries and easier removal of the battery. I have 2 kits. I have installed 4. They fit just as good or better than any of the FMIC's available for our cars.

There are also several features of this kit that no other kit offers.

i dono about this kit but with the xo2 and judging by how close that pipe is to the positive terminal i would recomend a battery relocation kit they rage between $40-$70 on ebay i think its worth it for the extra room and not a very difficult project

I've installed a kit. Battery fitment/terminal issues were non existant to the best of my memory.

this kit def seems to have solved every major issue i ran into with the xo2 kit wish i would have found it before, not that the xo2 was that bad but would have been nice to save a day of wresting with 2.75 tube and hacking the bumper and moving battery lol and getting bov flange

this kit def seems to have solved every major issue i ran into with the xo2 kit wish i would have found it before, not that the xo2 was that bad but would have been nice to save a day of wresting with 2.75 tube and hacking the bumper and moving battery lol and getting bov flange

That is why I made this one. There were things I just couldn't do when I made the XO2 kit. This one even has beads on all of the pipes.;)

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Just to let anyone that missed out on the GB, I ordered extra kits and they should be in at the end of this month. Bryan

Finally got my intercooler on. :rolleyes: I've had it since the 1st GB and I may be the last to have installed it. :lol: :lol:

You're not the last ;)

I got one of the extras that was ordered as part of GB #1. I'll be starting the install tomorrow :)

So what are people doing about the cold pipe hitting the brake fluid reservoir? I am getting a lot of vibration / chatter and I think its because the cold pipe is wedged right against this. Is this the brake booster?

I was thinking about putting my TMIC bracket on, then using a strap around it to pull the pipe up a bit (and off the brake booster).

The vibration in the pedals is driving me nuts!

Love the FMIC otherwise. The hot-side for STI turbo did not line up so well though.

Dont have that issue on any of the kits I installed. Is the coldside pipe in the coupler on the throttle body all the way? Could the angle be adjusted? If not try some cut heater hose between the pipe and master cylinder to absorb the vibration. It should be close, but not touching.

Your problem is that the pipe isn't pushed all the way into the coupler on the TB. Trust me on this. I did my install today and was like.... Huh? I just pushed it in further and now I have space in between the master cyl and the pipe. Hope that helps!

Installed mine today... some crappy cell phone pics:

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m38/KineticTheory/2010-05-09193035.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m38/KineticTheory/2010-05-09140303.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m38/KineticTheory/2010-05-09134421.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m38/KineticTheory/2010-05-09193103.jpg

Archived