LegacyGT.com

Found lots of great clutch replacement info here, but still need advice...

TimGinCentralNJ

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Instead of starting a new thread I'll chime in here. If I'm stock engine wise and really dont plan on doing anything is there any reason to spend $800 on an act clutch/flywheel vs the exedy oem replacement which i can get with the flywheel for like $520
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

No :lol:

:icon_sad::icon_sad::icon_sad::icon_sad:

So i understand that youre saying that i should be fine with the oem replacement one by exedy, i'm just wondering if anybody has any experience with that one before I order it.

And for example will the ACT one be more resilient to aggressive driving (which honestly i dont do that often)

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

^ If your having any doubt's go with something like a Spec 1+ or stage 2. All of these companies make good clutches. I have Spec 2+, almost 50,000 miles on it and I drive the car. It will still spin the tires on the shift 2nd gear.

You should be fine.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

So i understand that youre saying that i should be fine with the oem replacement one by exedy, i'm just wondering if anybody has any experience with that one before I order it.

And for example will the ACT one be more resilient to aggressive driving (which honestly i dont do that often)

Anyone with a LGT that came from the factory with a single mass flywheel or an 08-09 WRX will have experience with that setup. I would say get it considering it's an inexpensive OEM replacement.

"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

AFAIK, the ACT clutch isn't "more resilient" to aggressive driving. It just grabs much harder. You slip it, it'll wear just as fast as a stock clutch. But it will hold on with more force than a stock clutch will. And in exchange, your engagement should be "snappier", which some like and some don't.

On a stock LGT, the OEM clutch seems like a fine choice.

I have the OEM exedy replacement with the ACT lightweight flywheel in my Outback and am happy with it. Next time I would go with the prolite flywheel though if there's an ECU workaround for the check engine light

What does he have? What is his setup?

Well I am on my second ACT clutch with the old ACT pressure plate and LWFW (for the 06-07 WRX) and my new TOB is the Subaru TOB for the 06-07 WRX not another new ACT one. Whatever the thing...it engages smoothly, it rattles less, it is quieter compared to my previous install.

Looks like the ACT and single mass flywheel.

Keep us updated, I am thinking of doing the exact same thing.

I picked up my LGT from the dealer today. I dropped it off at 7:30 and they called just after 11 to let me know it was finished. I had the 2007-09 OEM clutch, TOB, and SMFW installed. I've only put 6 miles on the new clutch, but here's my initial impression:

It feels very light compared to the old clutch. I actually miss the heavy feel the clutch pedal had with the DMFW. Engagement feels precise; just light. It doesn't feel substantial, if that makes sense...I guess I just liked that heavier feel. I haven't heard any chatter or TOB squeal. I did hear what appeared to be some kind of transmission whine...a droning sound when I was decelerating in second gear at a stop light. Didn't hear it again the next time I slowed down.

Anyway, I will see how I like this SMFW in 500 miles or so. Right now I have mixed feelings. It feels good to not be driving on a dying clutch, but I was hoping for that heavy pedal I had before.

I picked up my LGT from the dealer today. I dropped it off at 7:30 and they called just after 11 to let me know it was finished. I had the 2007-09 OEM clutch, TOB, and SMFW installed. I've only put 6 miles on the new clutch, but here's my initial impression:

How many hours of labor did you pay for? 3.5 hours is a fast clutch job.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Guys,

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but it's the closest one I came up with when doing searches to find the correct year clutch/flywheel.

My 2006 LGT is currently at the Subaru dealership for a new clutch/Flywheel/TOB. I had them order the OEM 2007+ Legacy GT clutch and flywheel kit.

My wife got a call from them and the tech said there is no way that clutch/flywheel combo will work in our '06 GT. I was unable to call them back before they left for the day, but I just want to verify that I am not going crazy and the 2007-2009 Legacy GT clutch and flywheel will indeed work?

My wife said that the tech mentioned something about the push/pull action of the transmission being different.

But again, just to be clear, the 2007-2009 Legacy GT SMFW and clutch WILL fit in a 2006 Legacy GT, yes?

Thanks so much,

-Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Oh well, the dealer still claimed that the '07 LGT clutch kit would absolutely not work, so they installed an '07 WRX clutch/FW/PP/etc. They could not give me a direct answer as to why the LGT wouldn't work, just that it wouldn't :)

That being said, I could not be happier with the WRX parts. I also had the TSK3 kit installed, along with new bearings in the center diff and a new tail section of the tranny. Everything is so quiet and smooth now!

FWIW, our GT(primarily my wife's car), is bone stock with 106,000 miles. NEVER driven hard/launched, etc. Hoping no more tranny issues for a while(as it will be my daily driver as soon as she gets her '15 WRX) :)

Archived