LegacyGT.com

Found lots of great clutch replacement info here, but still need advice...

TimGinCentralNJ

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cut out kids.

Do you guys use synthetic grease or just teflon spray your TSK3 kit ?

I am considering buying one up for when I change my clutch again in 35k miles or 3 years from now and I want it to be preserved properly and I don't know if I should sink it in a jug of grease or just spray it with teflon ?

My clutch started slipping in 4th and 5th gear late last summer. I've babied the car and have put off buying a new clutch since then, but I realize I need to get this taken care of before I get stranded somewhere. My dealership is going to do it for $570, which I think is reasonable. I have read extensively on this matter, and am still undecided on which option to go for. 2008+ OEM clutch with SMFW? Or ACT with 2006 WRX SMFW?

I have no power mods on the car and don't race. I don't plan on adding power mods, but would like the clutch to last longer than the original one did (started slipping at 47,000 miles; I am now at 52,000). I'd like a clutch that doesn't stink, and I want a decent TOB (started squealing over a year ago).

Is it worth the extra $300 to go with ACT? Someone help me make my decision - need to get this done within the week!!

Just FYI... the flywheels are the same. Same part number and everything.

So your choice is Stock clutch / Pressure Plate or ACT clutch / Pressure plate.

;)

OK, so the question is - for my driving style, is it worth the extra $300 for an ACT clutch over the OEM clutch? If everything else is the same (flywheel, TOB, pressure plate), what's the $300 difference in cost really get me?

It feels good! It doesn't really feel too much different than the DMFW, it just feels newer. Like when you switch out your brake pads...you don't realize how crappy your brakes have become until you put some new stuff on there.

Cool. One thing I always liked about this stock clutch is the smoothness of it. I had a Honda Prelude with a stiff aftermarket clutch and that was fun for zipping around in, but I guess I am getting old enough to appreciate a more refined driving experience (such as it is with this car!). I feel good about saving $300. I am buying my first house this spring and need every extra dollar.

Archived