LegacyGT.com

Found lots of great clutch replacement info here, but still need advice...

TimGinCentralNJ

My TO bearing started to squeak around 65K miles. I thought that was premature based on other makes/models of cars I've worked on. Do I think that stock TO bearing assembly is an issue? Yes.

It could be to the design. Or it could be due to incorrect lubrication from the factory. Who knows.....

Out of curiosity... I purchased a TSK3 TO bearing assembly. My buddy, RaGe is going to buy a standard Subaru TO bearing. When I get both... I'll do some analysis and contrast/compare reviews.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No worries Tim. We're good.

Ok, good deal :)

Let me share with you a little more of my experience. I NEVER EVER EVER launch my car, drag race it; take it to the strip, or otherwise abuse it. I drive like a grandma, I consistently get 30 mpg on the highway and 20-22 in mixed driving in Chicago where traffic jams are a nightmare. And if someone does rattle my nerves, I never do it from a stand still meaning I do not rev 4000 rpm and drop the clutch.

Ok...that's good to know. Sounds like our driving styles may be similar.

Hmmm....I didn't think of this before, but we have our share of traffic here in NJ, too (:spin:) and I know that the TOB wears more when you have to leave the clutch depressed repeatedly or for long periods of time. I, for one, am not always diligent about shifting into neutral and leaving out the clutch because it's not conducive in stop and go traffic--nor is it safe; you never know when you'll need to get out of someone's way quick-like. I do leave the clutch out while waiting at stoplights, etc. Maybe some of the folks who're getting more mileage out of their TOBs do not experience the same traffic conditions we do (?)

On a totally unrelated note, you really get 30 mpg on the highway? Wow, I thought that was a myth. I know my OB's final drive ratio is slightly lower, but I've never gotten more than 20-21 mixed and 24/25 highway...but that was with the cruise set on 65mph, with no occupants and a brisk tail wind....;) The biggest problem is that NYC commuter traffic early in the AM is moving at 75-80 mph, so my OB is constantly in boost...thus the awful gas mileage.

The reason I ask is because I'm semi-considering the idea of selling my OB at some point and maybe looking to a later-model LGT sedan/wagon with the 5EAT...but was concerned that I could only expect the same 20-22 mpg.

Cheers,

Tim

Well the Subaru service manual does mention that the TOB should be inspected to diagnose clutch noise :eek: , so Subaru obviously knows that there is a problem and is trying to cover it up :lol:

OBVIOUSLY! :lol:

Smart ass! ;)

No one has anything other than unfounded theories as to what the "problem" is with the stock TOB. The aftermarket TOB makes lots of claims, but ask for a warranty that covers parts and labor and see what you get.

Geez, I would give at least a few of the members here a little more credit that that :lol:.

I could be wrong, but for that matter--I haven't run across any parts + labor warranties on any clutches either--OEM or aftermarket. Since SoA won't be stepping up with any kind of explanation, the only thing left to go on is a leap of faith based on the collective experiences of any board members who've tried these non-OEM setups--assuming they experienced better results. Although the results differ from person to person, one thing's for sure; we each know about how long another OEM clutch setup will last for us. So, if that's not acceptable--why not try something else?

You can speculate all day long (and most people here do :lol: ) but that will not prevent a new TOB from failing "early" or cause one to last forever.

Haha! Sorry, compulsive speculator here :redface:

Cheers,

Tim

My TO bearing started to squeak around 65K miles. I thought that was premature based on other makes/models of cars I've worked on. Do I think that stock TO bearing assembly is an issue? Yes.

It could be to the design. Or it could be due to incorrect lubrication from the factory. Who knows.....

Out of curiosity... I purchased a TSK3 TO bearing assembly. My buddy, RaGe is going to buy a standard Subaru TO bearing. When I get both... I'll do some analysis and contrast/compare reviews.

Awesome! Thanks for doing this...and definitely keep us posted.

See? Not all info in a community like this is "unfounded", rao! ;)

Tim

Ok, good deal :)

Ok...that's good to know. Sounds like our driving styles may be similar.

On a totally unrelated note, you really get 30 mpg on the highway? Wow, I thought that was a myth. I know my OB's final drive ratio is slightly lower, but I've never gotten more than 20-21 mixed and 24/25 highway...but that was with the cruise set on 65mph, with no occupants and a brisk tail wind....;) The biggest problem is that NYC commuter traffic early in the AM is moving at 75-80 mph, so my OB is constantly in boost...thus the awful gas mileage.

The reason I ask is because I'm semi-considering the idea of selling my OB at some point and maybe looking to a later-model LGT sedan/wagon with the 5EAT...but was concerned that I could only expect the same 20-22 mpg.

Cheers,

Tim

Cruise Control

@ 80 mph 24-27

@ 70 mph 27-30

@ 60 mph 30-33

This is based on LONG trips such as Chicago - Great Smokey Mountains and back (1400 miles); or any of my Cruises 1-6 which are 5-600 miles of mixed highway driving and hours upon hours of acceleration bursts in twisty, hilly terrain. In fact, when I drive on any of my cruises which typically involve about 300 miles of highway cruising and 2-300 miles of hills/twisties and 20-30 other cars all eager to show some speed, my overall fuel economy is around 23-25. Really is all in how you drive: coast in gear to slow down, and downshift only to rev-match, than coast some more. And cruise control everywhere: in the school zone; on the boulevard; on the highway; to the grocery store etc.

Not sure about you being in boost. I can drive out of boost all day...

I suggest you get it pro-tuned if you have not done so.

side note: 2008 LGT, stock, 2 people and minor luggage. On a 400 mile trip from new hampshire to PA, I got about 27-28mpg on a newer engine with crusiing at 70mph, so I can believe what he's saying. There's no way it has ever come close to 30mpg, but I was happy at 27. I made it from Sandwich, NH to West Chester, PA on a single tank....I'll never forget that.

As far as the stock TO bearing is concerned....*warning: conjecture ahead*....from what I've read, there is an issue with the bearing's lubrication drying out. Now whether that's from improper bearing design, inadequate grease, or lack of top-notch synthetic-grease usage (that was for you Rao!), I don't know :)

Whatever the cause, it seems to fairly consistently across years make noise early, especially in cold wet weather, and start "grinding" by hand at a young mileage.

Well I am on my second ACT clutch with the old ACT pressure plate and LWFW (for the 06-07 WRX) and my new TOB is the Subaru TOB for the 06-07 WRX not another new ACT one. Whatever the thing...it engages smoothly, it rattles less, it is quieter compared to my previous install.

I used the TOB with the ACT clutch... only because I hadn't read the excellent detailed "analysis" of the TSK3 kit... otherwise I would have gotten that.

The post I refer to is here (quoted in my post): http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2771970&highlight=tsk#post2771970

Too late. Clutch went in 3 hours ago ;) Pedal feels softer than stock surprisingly but after the 3rd or 4th stoplight it started to get grabby. I need to adjust the pedal throw a bit to maybe fix this. Chatter about the same as stock IMHO. BTW....i only did this clutch because of the TOB. U guys don't even want to see my 109K miles stock disc...:lol:

BTW...why did ACT paint their pressure plates?!?! Who really is going to see that?

"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

I got the OEM TOB today, and comparing it side by side with the TSK3...doesn't show much of a difference. In fact, the rubber on the OEM TOB is pretty thick, considerably thicker than the TSK3. Probably because the TSK3 needed to make room for the cylinder that covers the transmission snout, while staying with the same form factor of the stock TOB. Other than that, it's got a spring clip that attaches to the clutch fork, which honestly, anyone could machine up because it fits in the same groove around the outside that the stock TOB has. I figure that whoever made the TSK, just took stock TOB's and machined them a bit...it wouldn't suprise me if that was the case....it even has TSK3 filed/scratched on the metal...no professional engraving or anything. Anyways....i've decided that if the snout has damage, then use the TSK3, if not, F it and go with the stocker. If it's every 80k for this part to go bad..meh, that's almost 5 years for me. Who knows if I'll even have the car anymore then.

I got the OEM TOB today, and comparing it side by side with the TSK3...doesn't show much of a difference. In fact, the rubber on the OEM TOB is pretty thick, considerably thicker than the TSK3. Probably because the TSK3 needed to make room for the cylinder that covers the transmission snout, while staying with the same form factor of the stock TOB. Other than that, it's got a spring clip that attaches to the clutch fork, which honestly, anyone could machine up because it fits in the same groove around the outside that the stock TOB has. I figure that whoever made the TSK, just took stock TOB's and machined them a bit...it wouldn't suprise me if that was the case....it even has TSK3 filed/scratched on the metal...no professional engraving or anything. Anyways....i've decided that if the snout has damage, then use the TSK3, if not, F it and go with the stocker. If it's every 80k for this part to go bad..meh, that's almost 5 years for me. Who knows if I'll even have the car anymore then.

Wait a second - are you suggesting that it is not made by the same caring artists that craft the Spec B :eek: You mean they didn't "re-engineer" the entire bearing (with newly discovered bearing technology) and make it better than any other bearing? Are you SUGGESTING that they machined out the stock bearing so that it would clear the quill protector :eek:

:lol:

Wait a second - are you suggesting that it is not made by the same caring artists that craft the Spec B :eek: You mean they didn't "re-engineer" the entire bearing (with newly discovered bearing technology) and make it better than any other bearing? Are you SUGGESTING that they machined out the stock bearing so that it would clear the quill protector :eek:

:lol:

Yes :-D

Archived