LegacyGT.com

New quad tip muffler... stay tuned

lawl

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ I'm gonna miss the melon-shooters, FWIW. :redface::) They were/are special, not many people have them...and they do sound great.

Like maddoc, a part of me is likely going to be comparing the Invidia to my current setup - not exactly fair, considering, again, that even at second-hand prices for the cans, back in '06, I spent nearly $1200 for my Magnaflow/Lachute/Blitz combo - but it's going to be hard not to do so.

I am hoping that the Invidia will actually be quieter, however marginally, but I'm afraid I'll lose the near-Porsche-esque flat-six wail at the top.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

^ Oh, and that reminds me, I should clarify my post above, too.

What *_I_* had meant was that if BCP wanted to put dual rolled tips there - that he would, essentially, buy 4 individual rolled tips, cut-off the current single-wall tips standard of the Invidia product, and then weld the replacements in their place - that there still could potentially be clearance issues, per the description/request from lawl, at the very beginning of this thread.

This is what I meant. I know going from 2 to 1 to 2 again is impractical, if not retarded.

I just ordered the Invidia system and see how it goes. If there's room for rolled tips I might spend the money for it... we'll see!

:)

didnt see if this ? was answered yet

Sorry, forgot to keep up with the thread, didn't realize so much has happened lol.

darkened area... the pictures on there were the day of the exhaust installation. so the exhaust had not done anything to the car yet.

i have my old hks potato shooters to thank for that.

(im running an aftermarket turbo with other stuff in it so its tuned pretty rich right now)

car for sale. PM me!

This is what I meant. I know going from 2 to 1 to 2 again is impractical, if not retarded.

^ Hey, that's what my wife calls me! :):lol:

No worries! ;)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Sorry, forgot to keep up with the thread, didn't realize so much has happened lol.

darkened area... the pictures on there were the day of the exhaust installation. so the exhaust had not done anything to the car yet.

i have my old hks potato shooters to thank for that.

(im running an aftermarket turbo with other stuff in it so its tuned pretty rich right now)

cool ty

^ Actually, it's the resonated section that I'm worried most about - given that this portion will see weathering, our Snow/Rust-Belt exposure likely will single out this area as a potential weakness.

I'm still on my now nearing 3-year-old Injen crossover, and it has yet to breach, but that's in an area covered from the worst of the weather, with the factory splash-shield.

Hopefully, the stainless construction (I can't remember if it was 304 or 303) of this item, and the quality that comes with the Invidia name, will prove-out. :)

Thanks for those pictures, Gmachine! :D Now I really can't wait!

^ Actually, it's the resonated section that I'm worried most about - given that this portion will see weathering, our Snow/Rust-Belt exposure likely will single out this area as a potential weakness.

Thanks for those pictures, Gmachine! :D Now I really can't wait!

Did you actually mean the flex section? I have seen flex sections come apart on OEM exhaust,but usually the cars have a lot of miles on them.

Your welcome on the pics,thought some out there might want a better look.

^ Oops!!!! Yes, I did mean the flex section! :redface: How embarrassing!!!! That's what happens when you've got a rugrat (translation for non-parents: my toddler :lol:) running around you, when you're trying to type!

Indeed, my Injen crosspipe does not have a resonator! :redface: - it's a flex section!

And yes, that's what I'm worried about.

Indeed, most OEM flex sections come apart after many, many miles....but this is, after all, an aftermarket - even one of Invidia's quality, that still concerns me.

^ Oops!!!! Yes, I did mean the flex section! :redface: How embarrassing!!!! That's what happens when you've got a rugrat (translation for non-parents: my toddler :lol:) running around you, when you're trying to type!

Indeed, my Injen crosspipe does not have a resonator! :redface: - it's a flex section!

And yes, that's what I'm worried about.

Indeed, most OEM flex sections come apart after many, many miles....but this is, after all, an aftermarket - even one of Invidia's quality, that still concerns me.

Being in the NE area I'm also concerned about salt. Can we paint the system (sans the pipes) with a black high temp paint and have that be a protection barrier for the system? Thoughts?

^ I'd say that if you're going to do that, to call the manufacturer, first, to see what implications it may have for warranty concerns.

To me, as long as the materials used are of good quality (my current Magnaflow/Lachute/Blitz combo is all-stainless, and although it does weather a good bit in the winter, it's all just surface oxidation that literally wipes off with a wet rag - even after now some 3 years, there's no perforation, nothing more than skin-deep, and a buff will restore full luster), I have no problem with mounting it, "naked," and using the car every day.

However, I do understand that this may be more of a concern for others, and I do think that such considerations of extra protection is completely valid - I would simply suggest to go that route, if you're thinking about it, with due-caution. :)

UPS man just came with my gift. I'm also thinking about chopping off the Invidia tag at the Y-pipe...

Something to note -- the tips bend a bit towards the center on both cans. One goes from 2mm to 1.5mm, and the other goes from about 1.8mm to 1.2mm. Maybe it's intentional maybe it's not...

1592199067_Temp001.thumb.jpg.466643c03a494f3f98fe3674df800076.jpg

1012159843_Temp002.thumb.jpg.d44897474825f9e1adfa5a5c3c48096e.jpg

1814070493_Temp003.thumb.jpg.fd77886e8f44560ab67f308aa5e4d47f.jpg

303857260_Temp004.thumb.jpg.977965366d8d196baf92ac4ac405602b.jpg

1344552705_Temp005.thumb.jpg.628dfd57e3bbfab78f68835199b17980.jpg

1407586489_Temp007.thumb.jpg.d4145cea59e07e7ae706b7568191573c.jpg

607153083_Temp008.thumb.jpg.397bdd0aa08eeae286d83e385b7ba648.jpg

1844703671_Temp009.thumb.jpg.74fa950933e6e399a4b361fdd9b4c855.jpg

how are you doing the measurement? measure at end thats welded and then measure at the tip? it looks like the piping in the close-up picture you took of the welds is smaller right where it meets the can, versus the piping at the tip.

I'm measuring where the welds are and where the tips are. You can see that the tips are closer than the welds.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Ok, so the install didn't go as planned. In fact, it was one of the most frustrating 5 hrs of my life. Before anyone says I'm some newbie when it comes to cars, please note that I've been working on cars by myself for the past 11 years, and I've pretty much done every type of install but for opening engines / transmissions.

Note -- there's a lot of innuendos in the post. That was not the intent, but I'm not spending the time to edit it. Feel free to giggle away.

So I got the old system out in about 15 min -- no problem. Bolts came loose easily and the system is in decent shape.

Next, the new midpipe went in, followed by the Y-pipe -- no problem. Next came the extension and the passenger side muffler and I encountered the first problem. The "female" side of the extension was oval shaped since they have those lines on the sides and the "male" side couldn't go in. Nice. I sprayed a ton of PB Blaster and tried various ways to make it more round and finally was able to get it in. But once I got everything squared away the passenger side seemed too long (jutting out the passenger side). Thinking that I might have done something wrong, I took off the Y-Pipe and tried again with putting on the mufflers first. Those went in without any problems but then I couldn't get the extension and the Y-Pipe to fit since you have to aim the pipes dead on. So I took apart everything again and went with the Y-Pipe / Driver muffler combo first, and then tried to see if the passenger side would just follow. Nope. So now the car has one muffler on the driver's side and and open dump on the other side. I think the problem is that the extension piece is about 1/2 to an inch too long. As you can see from the pics, the system has no give since there are so many bends. I think the only way I could get this to work is if I cut the extension.

Can't believe I fvcking spent 5 hours on some damn exhaust install. :mad: I've installed two other systems before and I was on the road by the 45min mark!!

Invidia's gonna hear from me.

IMG_0058.thumb.jpg.6dce6c84fcc00ad4c8bd3c66887bf5d5.jpg

IMG_0059.thumb.jpg.e7fbdf8066a54eecc9ebb0518d33a451.jpg

IMG_0060.thumb.jpg.1be79156d09148f03509360fcb63e7ef.jpg

IMG_0061.thumb.jpg.758fa3d682c24176c7507bf4b08192f0.jpg

IMG_0063.thumb.jpg.e51dd36f7747b684abbd4176aa471e29.jpg

IMG_0064.thumb.jpg.ce87613c525ee3fb1563bff1bd65c840.jpg

IMG_0065.thumb.jpg.e14c7019dbebaef698a25ab6493c3125.jpg

One side is pretty good,the other is slightly pigeon toed inward. Measurements at the welds won't be accurate compared to the outlet. The tips are slightly tapered at the base.

I think most of this won't be an issue once the system is installed. Not much of a top down vantage point left to view. If it's not too bad,i think a small tweek/adjustment can be applied with a wooden handle stuck in the tip.

Archived