LegacyGT.com

JDM 20MM Rear Sway Bar Install Instructions (w/pics)

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are any of you needing an alignment after this install?

shouldn't be an issue. You don't need to unbolt anything that needs adjusting in the rear. Plus, only the toe can be adjusted in the rear, not camber.

Awesome, thanks for the write-up! I installed mine today. Only note after re-reading this thread is that if you are not replacing the endlinks you do not need to un-bolt them completely, just the top bolt. This might be obvious to anyone attemping such a mod though. Hmm, 6 bolts in total, and an hour of work including set-up / clean-up / clean the dirt and gease off myself. If you are reading this, why haven't you ordered yours yet? That's right, off to AVO you go.:dm:

The JDM bar feels much lighter then stock, is it hollow or something?

• 2 months later...
Cusco is probably the better buy, if you are looking for aftermarket. I had Perrin bars, but ended up back with a JDM 20mm after issues with Perrin. Search...the issues are well documented. The Perrin bars were recently redesigned.

hey guys,

Perrin has the option for 22mm front and rear. Do you guys think that that is a good set up? What about just the 22mm rear? Looking for answers.

-T

If you can't find anything in a search, you might want to start a new thread for this kind of question - most folks hitting this one will be looking to find or supply info on the JDM sway.

• 4 months later...
Do the endlinks make much difference?
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

• 2 weeks later...

So yeah, put the bar in today..took me oh..5 hours. It was cool though, I was going slow, and getting frustrated with oh let's see the exhaust hangers, and getting the bar out. Then when putting the new one in, I got it in there backwards, so had to do it over.

But it was fun, I took it for a little joyride, couldn't feel that much of a difference, but I am sure it will help when I am going a little faster around turns. It was dark by the time I could try it out, so I didn't want to risk going off a cliff or anything.

By far the hardest part was getting the bar out. Like...at first I thought you could get it out over the mufflers....buzz...wrong.

I had to finagle it out through the wheel well.

Also, that JDM bar is HELLA lighter than the USDM one. Must be like 5 pounds or something. I was getting tired holding the USDM bar up while trying to get it out, not so with the JDM one. Anyways, its on now....I have the AVO endlinks, but I didn't put them on yet. I am going to wait until the iONs go on.

• 1 month later...
OK, I just realized the JDM is hollow. So the question is, is it really stiffer than the 16mm LGT bar I put in (replacing 15mm stock)? How much?
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

It's definitely stiffer and tightened up the whole car, reducing lean and keeping the car square and true on the twisty turnys. Take a look at the swift sways/springs group buy, there's some information in that thread about swaybar comparisons including % stiffness vs each other.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Thanks - Interesting..

Time to get out the calipers & calculator again...

The swift GB thread lists a 19.1 mm JDM hollow bar with a stifness of 8.8 - is that what the 20mm really is? Or is it really approx, given we don't know the wall thickness, (20/19.1)^4 * 8.8 = 10.6?

Anyway, using their numbers of a 20mm solid bar having a stiffness of 15.8, the USDM 15 mm is (15/20)^4 * 15.8 = 5.0; USDM LGT = (16/20)^4 *15.8 = 6.5 ...

There is more than one JDM bar, with the b and c revision Legacies getting a 19mm rear bar, and the Spec B even got down to a 18mm bar. The 20mm OEM JDM bar is from the A revision (first year) Legacy GT.

Cheers,

Paul Hansen

www.avoturboworld.com | www.sevenphotos.com

Interesting... sooooo what are the recomendations as to which bar to get?

Is the 20mm JDM still the most popular upgrade????

Which bar will give me best performance over stock USDM Spec B.

thanks

There is more than one JDM bar, with the b and c revision Legacies getting a 19mm rear bar, and the Spec B even got down to a 18mm bar. The 20mm OEM JDM bar is from the A revision (first year) Legacy GT.

Cheers,

Paul Hansen

http://www.avoturboworld.com | http://www.sevenphotos.com

Any idea why SOJ is going to smaller rear sway bars?

Ken

yeah..interesting...

One of the things I liked abou the JDM is that it is lighter...

I like reducing weight...

although I already have reduced weight in rear, alum. rear arms, no engine in trunk etc.

I've heard that if I reduce weight in the rear it will give me poor grip especially in snowy conditions....

I'm guessing changing out the sway bar isn't going to kill me...as far as wegiht reduction. Probably only a couple of pounds difference.

Archived