LegacyGT.com

JDM 20MM Rear Sway Bar Install Instructions (w/pics)

Yep, definitely noticable. The as-delivered understeer was just plain scary, and moving from 15 to 16 made it manageable. Recommended if you can get the bar cheap ( No more than $50)...

I replaced the stock 16mm in my LGT with a 20mm so I've got the 16mm sitting in my garage. I've been considering putting it in the Outback but wasn't sure if it would be worth the effort.

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I installed the AVO RSB and brackets today. The install went quite well. It certainly helps to remove the mufflers and wheels. The only hiccup was with the left side bracket. As you tighten it down, it wants to rotate away from the stock bracket. Difficult to torque down and keep it aligned. I'd reccomend temporarily returning the boltsto their proper place and tighten them down before the final tightening of the bolt that holds the bracket in place.

Oh, another tip. If you have a hard time getting the endlink bolt into the upper of the two swaybar holes (assuming you want the less aggressive position) it helps to jack up the hub (put jack under the lower end of the shock). That gets the endlink bolt to line up with the rsb hole.

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

I got my JDM rsb yesterday, and took advantage of the great weather to put it on. Did it EXACTLY as per subietonic's excellent instructions, using ramps. No problems at all, took me 1 hour 20 minutes of wrench time. Did not have to remove the cans, it took me about 30 seconds to figure out how to get the rsb in or out. What slowed me down was the upper link bolts, as my crappy old sears ratchet handle was pretty worn. I recommend using a fine tooth 3/8" drive handle for this, because there is not much angle to turn the handle.

To me the change in driving characteristics is subtle, but definitely noticeable. I guess I need to toss it around a bit more. Too bad I have to work today.

Next mod is JDM spec b Bilstein struts and springs, on their way from Japan. Can't wait!

Thanks Subietonic for the help!

• 1 month later...

I'm in the process of installing the JDM RSB and I ran into a problem. I got the new bar into position and went to put the stock bushings back on. Obviously, they don't fit. I ordered the bar from Rallitek and they didn't send new bushings. I might be able to force the stock bushings into place with the bracket over them, but I don't think that will be ideal.

I need to get everything put back together today. Is it possible to pick up new bushings at an auto parts or hardware store? Anybody have any suggestions? Will it be bad to drive the car without the swaybar and endlinks, in case I have to order new bushings? I really don't want to put the old swaybar back in.

Put the stocker back on or leave it off until Rallitek sends you the right bushings. If you leave the bar off, just dont corner hard and you should be fine. The stock bar is 16MM so I don't think you can reuse the old bushings.

Good luck, BTW Welcome to the site. I'm over in Bloominton/Normal

I'd put the stock bar back on until you get the new bushings. Without the bar I suspect you'll have HEAVY understeer which could be a problem in an emergency (heavy braking with no ability to turn the car). I guess it could be an educational experience to see what the effect of no rear bar is but be very careful. I definitely wouldn't use the smaller stock bushings since they will tend to not allow the bar to rotate freely. This will transfer the bar's torque to the brackets which could be enough to break them. It happened to me on another car where the dealer, while replacing the sway bar hold down bracket, replaced my 22mm bushings with the stock 19mm bushings. The torque transfer cracked the car's sub frame. Good luck.

I just put the original one back on. I never tried driving without it. The rear of the car feels a little more responsive now, but I'm sure I'm just imagining that.

Hopefully Rallitek will take care of this and send me the bushings. It sucks that I spend a good part of the day trying to put the new bar on. It shouldn't take me too long to get the new one on when I get the bushings since I have plenty of experience now. :)

Just got the rear COBB sway in today (finally after it sitting in my shed for months). It was straight forward using this walkthrough, and wasn't difficult at all. Took about 90 mins to do. Made a significant difference IMO.

• 1 month later...
I just installed the JDM rear bar (kept the stock endlinks) this weekend per subietonic's directions. What took the longest was figuring out how to get the old bar out from under the car. I had to re-read through the followup posts and what worked perfectly was rotating the bar 180 degrees like a couple other people said. After that, it came out easy as pie. I wish I tried that first! Did the reverse to get the new bar in, start out 180 degrees, angle bar in, and rotate 180 back down to line up with endlinks. Maybe subietonic can put that in his directions to help others following them step by step. Great directions otherwise, I went the ramps + pb-blast exhaust hanger method too and that worked fast and easy.

I finally received my JDM RSB and AVO mounts. I would agree that getting the endlinks off is the hardest part. After about 30 min of trying to get the bar out I gave in and took a tire off, after that it slipped right out. How in the heck did some of you rotate the bar 180 degrees? I took the cans off the mounts, but with no luck. I can see though I will be replacing the JDM with something stiffer soon or later.......

________

MOTORCYCLE TIRES

• 4 months later...

RSB installation NIGHTMARE!

CRAP! OK, did I read the instructions wrong? I took the mufflers off their hangers and was working the original sway bar out when all of a sudden, BANG! Everything from the Y back came crashing down!

The exhaust broke right at the weld of the Y. Sure made replacing the sway bar a breeze though! :lol: :lol:

So, were you supposed to only unhook one can at a time or what?

IMG_2045.jpg.8da7f5288439505b23e3aa90ceffac35.jpg

IMG_2042.jpg.876628f43f4739b3baa1854bb8a06ea1.jpg

IMG_2043.jpg.21ebecaa25b4b1345aa9c2a7e5d13b2f.jpg

Any sign of existing leaks at the Y joint? Looks like the weld was pretty much broken seeing how it's already mostly rusted. Should be inexpensive to have a muffler shop weld it back together if finances don't allow for a new cat back.

That sucks. Even after disconnecting the muffler cans, there's a good amount of support for the exhaust. There must have been some weakening in the joint, though that would be surprising and could be warrantable. The good news is you have a better handling LGT (and it must sound awesome).

No existing leaks that I could tell. It does sound pretty sweet! I wasn't sure I'd like it but I do! :lol: :lol: ;)

I'm a bit scared of taking it to the dealership to ask about waranty work since I did this install myself. I guess I'll take it to a muffler shop first and see how much that would cost. No budget for a catback at this time unfortunately. :(

I've attached a couple more pics.

Hope you're all getting a good laugh out of this. I'm getting to the point that I can at least smile. Though that may go away quickly if the wife finds out or until I get the bill for a fix. :lol:

Cheers!

Just put the cans back on the hangers (disconnected from the exhaust) and call it good!

That's what I've done. I don't think it will pass the wife test though! :lol: :lol:

I guess I know how a Perrin cat back would sound now (or the hogzaust ;)). Not too bad actually. I drove it on the freeway a bit last night and I didn't notice it at all. On the surface streets I had to put the windows down a bit so I could hear the rumble. NICE! :wub::eek::lol:;)

That's what I've done. I don't think it will pass the wife test though! :lol: :lol:

I guess I know how a Perrin cat back would sound now (or the hogzaust ;)). Not too bad actually. I drove it on the freeway a bit last night and I didn't notice it at all. On the surface streets I had to put the windows down a bit so I could hear the rumble. NICE! :wub::eek::lol:;)

I've got hawgzaust stage 1, and it's really quite subtle. Just a little extra rumble down low. I've gotten so used to it, that it might be time to add another washer...:lol:

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

• 2 months later...

I installed my Perrin 22mm RSB yesterday (crazy to think that in MA in the middle of winter it was nice enough to do it).

The one thing that helped get the Perrin bar in was to remove the exhaust hangers like everyone else has said, wrap my leg around the top of the muffler and just pull down.

All that force of pulling the muffler down gives PLENTY of room to slide the old bar out and the new bar in.

All totalled an easy install....now I just need to put miles on the car and get a feel for it's handling characteristics again.

so whats the better choice for a rear sway in everyones oppinion? this(which seems like it is a very good choice from reading this) or cobbs(havent heard much)?

Everyone seems to have a different favorite. My favorite is the AVO 20mm along with the AVO reinforcement brackets (which strangely enough is the one I installed). This works well with the stock front bar (and springs/dampers) and makes for a really balanced handling street car. Other bars might be more useful for specific purposes like autoX or if you want more understeer left in. I'm not sure I've read a thread where people have described the handling result from their particular bars (Cusco, Cobb, Perrin, etc) and other suspension changes (springs, dampers, caster/camber adjustments) if any. I'm curious how many have been installed without other mods.

Archived