LegacyGT.com

JDM 20MM Rear Sway Bar Install Instructions (w/pics)

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
does the jdm bar need anything else to be installed? (kit from avo)

I think the JDM is not as stiff and therefore doesn't stress the brackets as much. But I'd install the AVO reinforcements while you're under the car if you've got the budget. Just some insurance.

Nope, the kit should come with new 20mm bushings which you'll need as the old ones won't fit over the bigger bar (for obvious reasons :rolleyes:).

crap, bought the 20mm bar from a board member and did not realize (forgive my ignorance) that the old bushings wouldn't work. do you think the dealer will have these on hand or will i have to go aftermarket?

i need to get the JDM swaybar mounted anyways- any suggestions in the OC?

crap, bought the 20mm bar from a board member and did not realize (forgive my ignorance) that the old bushings wouldn't work. do you think the dealer will have these on hand or will i have to go aftermarket?

Try Renick Subaru/Motorsports in Fullerton (1100 Euclid). I haven't used them but they seem to be pretty well equipped.

You can try calling South Coast Subaru, they have a lot of aftermarket stuff, so they might have something that will work. Superautobacs might have something too, you never know. There are lots of shops in socal, so I would just call around. Good luck!

I have installed the JDM bar with the AVO brackets and I don't have any other mods concerning the suspension. I could tell an improvement in the ride! I thought about going for something stiffer, but decided on the JDM because I was afraid of going too stiff with the stock front bar. I have no plan of swapping out the dampers, I can't go crazy with the mods.

So far so good on my stock brackets with JDM RSB. I put the bar on at about 40k, have about 51k now (along with pinks and bilsteins). No bending or cracks yet, but I have been checking them frequently due to issues other people have had.

:orly: is it really that horrible?

hmmm i guess i'll consider getting them... but ouch $80...

I wouldn't consider them extremly horrible, I would consider myself anail at times.........:rolleyes: Plus the brackets are sweet.

I'm at 50K+ and everything is exactly the way they were when I mounted it all up. Stock all the way around though otherwise.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Well I just finished my O5 LGT wagon RSB install. Thanks to some posters here things went smoothly. Used jack stands and did not take the wheels off. No doubt had to drop the cans for removal. Also used the leg over the can drop assist technique .For the record the bar is a progress bar 22mm redesigned version with mounting brackets similar to the AVO ones. Fit and finish are of excellent quality. I was very wary of them (due to unfavorable posts on this site). But decided on them from a past experience on a 97 LGT and the fact I could get sway bar and mounts at a decent price ($ 170). I also have it dropped with swift springs and have the bigggish Magnaflow CB exhaust. Happy to say no fitment issues. Did NOT have to wack my spare tire well as in the instructions (don't care to bludgeon my ride anyhow).

As for the ride it really makes a great difference. Neutral to slight lift off oversteer. Even bests my highly moded WRX with Cobb front and rears with prodrive springs. Perfect match for the 22mm FSB. Used the softer setting BTW. At this point won't switch out the front bar. Straight line wandering is almost completely gone, car feels faster, much better high speed transitions. Finally gettting something out of my Toyo t1 r's. I'll update later with more input and an Autocross or two.

• 2 months later...
I'd contact someone who really knows the AVO products, like Ross or Paul, and ask them. That said, iirc, on the website they recommend the OB ones for stock suspension USDM LGTs and the LGT ones for lowered USDM LGTs.
Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

• 2 weeks later...

How long is this swap taking you guys? Just got my Perrin sways F/R and endlinks. I have only this evening or tomorrow evening to install before Sat. morning auto-x. ;)

Sounds like maybe 2 hours total at most, no?

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

sublo, thanks for asking. I would like to know as well. My IPD sways and endlinks are comming tomorrow.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

I answered my own question. I did the swap last night without removing the tires. It's a little tricky that way - not much squiglle room with the ratchet in the back. The front endlinks are a little tricky to get off as the link side spins. I did it with hand tools only (no power tools), floor jack and 2 jack stands at night with little lighting. Budget 3 hours. Haven't had a chance to drive the car yet.

:redface:

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

Archived