LegacyGT.com

JDM 20MM Rear Sway Bar Install Instructions (w/pics)

Thanks to the OP for this walk-through, very useful. One more thing I would suggest if you're having trouble getting the stock sway out or new sway in: remove one bolt from one muffler, rotate it down by a few inches, and this gives you that extra clearance to slide the sway bar above the muffler.

Now that I have the RSB on in addition to the FSB, and a new set of Hancook Ventus V12 Evos, the car handles just great. Haven't had a chance to take it on a canyon run, but did some local driving, including a few hot laps around a roundabout, and the car remained noticeably flatter and plowed less. The feeling that the rear end is coming around on you takes a little getting used to, but that's a welcome bias in my book.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's good to see 5 and a half years later that members are still getting some utility out of this write-up.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

can't help on the limiter. custom ecu tuning....

PM me about the bar.....I will give you a couple links. Might also be talked out of mine... :D

Is your RSB a 20mike mike? I would be willing to buy it for the right price.

**There are two types of people in the world, those who build horsepower and those who buy it. Which one are you?

• 1 month later...

According to the "torsional shear stress theory" a hollow bar is a better design than the solid one, since the torque only exert on the most outer surface of the bar. It has almost no effect on the inner surface and is 0 at the center..

SOA changed the design for a reason, could be cost cutting? :confused:

Ok, so I got mine in the mail... getting ready to put it on this weekend...
**There are two types of people in the world, those who build horsepower and those who buy it. Which one are you?

Ok, so I got mine in the mail... getting ready to put it on this weekend...

dude, mine is on the way, ordered from Rallitek, they have only 1 kit left, lol

will have to wait till next weekend to install :spin:

edit: I also purchased 2 brand new OEM endlinks, mine is in pretty bad shape at 80k :(

Ok so I did it on Saturday. Best upgrade I have done yet.

How did I do it? Well I didn't need to lift the car at all. I "slid" under the back of the car. Removed the two mufflers and unbolted the oem sway bar and put the new jdm sway bar in. Put the mufflers back on and good to go. LOVE IT!

Ok so I did it on Saturday. Best upgrade I have done yet.

How did I do it? Well I didn't need to lift the car at all. I "slid" under the back of the car. Removed the two mufflers and unbolted the oem sway bar and put the new jdm sway bar in. Put the mufflers back on and good to go. LOVE IT!

very nice, I haven't done it yet. Will do this weekend :(

^Sweet. How did you do it? How does it ride?

a friend helped, he's a mechanic so it took him 15 mins to replace the bar and 2 endlinks...

about the ride, there is a very little roll now :cool: (I have a set of H&R springs, so I guess it is a combo)

I love my car handling so much now lol:wub:

• 10 months later...

I just finished installing my JDM RSB. My endlinks were seized up and the inner nuts rounded on me so I had to make a run this morning to get some new endlinks... But other than that the install went well.

Has anyone had one of the supplied yellow bushings be too large? One of mine fits snug and the other is quite loose.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Everything about my install was spot-on - no issues at all with the AVO bushings front or rear.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I've been looking for a used 20mm JDM RSB for a LONG time and it doesn't appear to be happening, so I'm going to pull the trigger on a new one from JapanParts - as they seem to be the only vendor still supplying them.

Has anyone else bought the bar from them? I need to know if it comes with the 20mm bushings or if I have to buy them separately. I assume the stock 16mm bushings won't fit.

This is a non adjustable bar, correct? Should I expect any issues with fitment/clearance? I'm running spec.B Bils/pinks and SPT V2 exhaust. thx

2013 Ford Taurus SHO

2009 Spec.B SWP Stg 2+ Airboy tuned

2010 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 5.7

I've been running mine since I did the original walkthrough way back when. It sits on Bils/Swifts (wagon) and came with the urethane bushings. It's set at 20mm and it's hollow so lighter weight with more structural resistance. No fitment issues with the Perrin Mid-Y pipe. Did also purchase the AVO RSB stabilizer brace to further decrease the flex in the stock brace and increase the RSB's responsiveness. FWIW - I noticed that AVO does have a 20mm adjustable RSB on their site.

Thanks SBT. I asked Yuki at Japanparts if they could supply larger 20mm bushings as well as the 20mm sway bar ('stabilizer rear' on their website) since I didn't notice any bushings listed. Thy haven't supplied them in the past, but he has since added the bushings in 16, 17, 19, or 20mm to the website catalogue for LGT fitment.

Link to the bar and the bushings

http://http://www.japanparts.com/db/partsli...VOLKEY=107-042-

price: 1400 yen for a pair of bushings, 10100 yen for the bar - plus shipping

I think I will just go with the oem bushings for the 20mm bar for now and go from there

2013 Ford Taurus SHO

I got my JDM 20mm rear sway bar from RalliTEK (they used to have it on their website) and it comes with grease and polyurethane bushings. Maybe see if they can source one for you. Probably cheaper than ordering from Japan Parts...

Last time I called RallitTek (about a year ago) they said they aren't bringing it in anymore. I've been trying to find one for at least a year new or used, but japanparts is the only that has it AFAIK. With shipping it is about the same as buying the AVO 20mm, and I prefer to stay oem

2013 Ford Taurus SHO

• 4 weeks later...

They are interchangeable. The stock sway on the LGT is 16mm IIRC, the stock OB SB is 13 or 14mm, so even going to the LGT SB is an upgrade - sortof.

I was the West Coast importer for the first group buy of the JDM 20mm SBs in late 2004, and I believe at least a couple of the members in that GB were buying them for their OBs.

ISTR that some other members on here (2.5 Scooby) comes to mind, have upgraded their OB SBs.

HTH

Thanks for the tech info there. Hopefully, I can pick up that LGT sway bar set from the member here in Guilford this weekend, if he's still got it. It sounds like it will help improve the rear of the OB without spending big bucks on a Rallitek or Whiteline sway bar. Sorry I probably could have found this by searching, so thanks for not flaming. By chance do you also know if there is a difference between the OB and LGT in diameter for the front sway bar as well?

Archived