Two more guesses.

1)Maxed out your MAF?

You know that is impossible unless it ingests water

2)60-80 under 1.5? :lol:

Also impossible unless downhill

3)Your gearbox hates you?

That would be a bad thing

4)You ran 11.99 @ XXX.XX

I actually think that is possible with my clutch and really good driving, If I hit the track at cooler temps, but no, not it.

5)

One more guess. [hint, it ends in 4]

You're able to hit 24psi with the HTA?

Of course I could. I could probably spike it to 28 if I wanted to.

Game is over. You guys suck.

I just found out a station close to my house is carrying 94 octane gas!:wub: Now our 91 octane gas sucks (I know cause I can go south of the border and run more timing on their 90 octane) so I am not holding my breath for this 94 being near as good as Eastern US 93 (which COBB says tunes like 100 octane race gas)

It is 91 octane gas, and then Ethanol is added to bring it up to 94 (about 10%).

Either way, I have tuned an STI on it before, and I was able to run about 2 degrees more timing and .5 AFR points leaner w/o any knock then similar set-ups do on our local 91. I may have been able to get even more power out of it, but we only had 1/2 hour to play.

Let the fun begin!!!!:) Now maybe, just maybe I will be able to run 26+ degrees of timing up top on meth (before I could only run 19 or 20 with my AVO380 and TMIC) like some people I know.;)

so I am not holding my breath for this 94 being near as good as Eastern US 93 (which COBB says tunes like 100 octane race gas)

ha ha! ha! :lol: Seriously? Did they actually say that? I am guessing they would have been somewhat sarcastic. It may be nice compared to crappy 91 out west, but its not 100 octane race gas. lol

Your 5 speed might hold up, for a little while. Its really 50/50. If I ever get my 20g I will be testing my 5sp a lot.

ha ha! ha! :lol: Seriously? Did they actually say that? I am guessing they would have been somewhat sarcastic. It may be nice compared to crappy 91 out west, but its not 100 octane race gas. lol

Your 5 speed might hold up, for a little while. Its really 50/50. If I ever get my 20g I will be testing my 5sp a lot.

Two people from COBB have told me that (Christian, and I can't remember the other guys name).

I have found that the 94 gas is the same 91 gas from the same refinery, but with the added E it goes up 3 points.

I find it funny how they come up with octane ratings. Simplifying things a bit; it is very exact, government regulated, a calculation of two methods for determining octane, but both of those methods figure out the fuels anti-knock characteristics on a less then 1000 rpm engine. How this translates into real life seems to differ.:spin:

I found the knock limit of this 94 pretty easily. I am now running 11.1:1 AFR vs 10.6:1 and I added about 1.5 degrees of timing. I still need to tweak it a bit, but that is about all I can gain from it. (10-15 whp maybe)

I have many logs of others with a 68HTA and they easily run 3 or 4 degrees more timing on 93 gas. This has driven me nuts for the past couple of years. I kid you not when I say that Oregon 90 (yes, 90 not 92) octane gas is as goods if not better then our 94.

And all the guys that run 23+ degrees of timing up top on STI turbos, on 93 gas, I just wish I had that gas, that is all I can say.

I thought it was just my car, but I see it on many people's cars here. Sti turbos, 18g (COBB's map) etc.... 20Gs. Some locals get OTS maps from others with the same mods, and the DAM is never much more then 1/2 of what it should be.

I suppose on the bright side, with my 91 tune, I know I can get premium gas pretty much anywhere in CAD or US and not have problems.

I have also found the limit of the 68HTA as far as airflow goes:

I was hoping for more, but in normal temps it seems to top out at 17.5 psi at 6500 rpms. In the cold I could run 19 psi at 6500 rpms. Now keep in mind that I have EWG, TGV, ELH, you name it, so the 17.5 psi I am running is about comparable to running 19 psi for less mods. I could run higher boost, but the airflow actually went down when I did (so did power).

I am still hitting full boost at 3100-3200 rpms on a 70F day, so that is nice.

The only way I am gonna get a solid 370 whp out of this thing is 94+meth+torco. For now 310 on pump and 345 on meth is gonna be where she sits.

20g will be ok on pump gas, once you start adding methanol it gets really sketchy. Mine blew on near 370wtq which is what you can make on a 20g hta68 with lots of timing and nice fuel :). Still, as always enjoy your thread lbgt.

06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

What's your meth/water mixture. I used to just run 95% meth with a splash of water, kept the kc down and allowed much more timing up top.
06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

20g will be ok on pump gas, once you start adding methanol it gets really sketchy. Mine blew on near 370wtq which is what you can make on a 20g hta68 with lots of timing and nice fuel :). Still, as always enjoy your thread lbgt.

I make lots of torque. Running 21 psi (could run much more if I wanted to) in the mid-range I can easily get 340 wtq. With meth and more psi and cold weather, I have no doubt 420+ wtq is very do-able.

I will probably leave it at 350-370 with meth, as I actually find it easier to drive on a road-course with a more linear torque curve.

FWIW I would place this turbo between an 18G and a 20G. Maybe 20 less whp then a 20G. I wish it could out-mussel a 20G above 5500 rpm, but it won't. (depending on the 20G we are talking about).

I am closely following Blouch's new 18 and 20G turbos with Billet comp wheels.:)

My tranny blew on me once already at just stage 2. I think it was 2 years ago mine went. Twisted main shaft, had to replace 1,2, and 3 gears, bearings, and I believe the synchros. I plan on keeping my car for a long time though, so I am either going to get an extra tranny, or some day maybe trade for an STI. I like the new STI sedans, Id trade my car in for one. May not look as good as my Legacy, but for all the other upgrades its more than worth it to me. "I wanna go fast!" and not break.

What's your meth/water mixture. I used to just run 95% meth with a splash of water, kept the kc down and allowed much more timing up top.

I use it on the windshield too, so 50/50 (by volume) in the summer, and about 75/25 in the winter.

Why 75% in the winter? The big temp drop in the winter seems to cause partial freezing at the nozzle tip (where the pressure drop is) and that reduces flow considerable below about 0F, the higher meth mix seems to solve this problem. (been working with Richard from AM on this for a while now)

LittleBlueGT, if you find yourself compelled to get that 8cm hotside, you can sell your HTA68 and have Bryan@BNR build you a 68HTA with 8cm hotside in a VF39 shell for less net then you might expect. Or put on a VF 8cm hotside on your existing 68HTA. Just an 'in case' comment.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

LittleBlueGT, if you are so compelled to get that 8cm hotside, you can sell your HTA68 and have Bryan@BNR build you a 68HTA with 8cm hotside in a VF39 shell for less net then you might expect. Or put on a VF 8cm hotside on your existing 68HTA. Just an 'in case' comment.

Given my present curiosity level and my want to keep tuning something, I just may do that.;)

Archived