LegacyGT.com

Full tune of 68HTA, KSTech 73 MAF, Racer X FMIC and DW750s

LittleBlueGT

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is all assuming your WB solution is accurate as well...

That is a good point, but I just had it in my friend's 09 WRX, and it was within 0.5% from the last time I used it in his car.

At any rate, he made 280 whp on alky and was pushing 275 g/s at 80F

I was making 330 whp on alky and was pushing 325 g/s at 80F.

Same gas, same alky mix, same tuner, same temps, same road, same guy entering data in airboy (measuring tires etc...). So I feel pretty good it is close.

Besides, now I can run timing that makes sense to me.:)

Little Blue,

How has the internal WG affected that bit of off-throttle lag you had reported (and accepted, though not happily) with the addition of the FMIC?

R3

No change.

I honestly don't know why people say an EWG makes a turbo spool faster. It doesn't. I have very little pre-load on my IWG, and it spools up exactly the same. 0-18 psi is identical, 18-21 psi might be a bit slower, but I actually prefer it that way, smoother to drive.

• 4 weeks later...
Hey LBGT....Would you mind posting you MAF IAT compensation table for your intake? I want to change mines to keep my AFRs more consistent regardless of temps.

To be honest, I am still working on it. It is pretty close to stock, just rescaled a bit:

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg194/littlebluegt/MAFcompIAT-1.jpg

I think I may spend some more time on the low flow end, as high IAT (like when in traffic) causes my AFR learning A to go quite high (+7% vs +/- 2%). But I haven't really analyzed it close enough yet.

Hey thx again LBGT...I also made the same change to the higher end MAF row. Im really curious as to how one can properly set this table up for different intakes. I take it with most hot air intakes, the compensations should be about the same vs say an AEM CAI..
"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

Hey thx again LBGT...I also made the same change to the higher end MAF row. Im really curious as to how one can properly set this table up for different intakes. I take it with most hot air intakes, the compensations should be about the same vs say an AEM CAI..

I would tend to agree.

Lots of logging in different temps, and don't forget to always log IAT.;)

• 2 weeks later...
Hey LBGT....I have been having problems with my HTA setup recently. Regardless of which 93oct gas I buy, I get high load knock from 4K-5.2K with the same boost, timing, and afr that I have been running all this time. I am wondering if a restriction in the exhaust would cause this? I changed the gasket on the shorty DP 3 months ago. Weird thing too is that I still hit 4.66v on the MAF with the AVO intake. I could post a log later when I get home. Thx.

Hey LBGT....I have been having problems with my HTA setup recently. Regardless of which 93oct gas I buy, I get high load knock from 4K-5.2K with the same boost, timing, and afr that I have been running all this time. I am wondering if a restriction in the exhaust would cause this? I changed the gasket on the shorty DP 3 months ago. Weird thing too is that I still hit 4.66v on the MAF with the AVO intake. I could post a log later when I get home. Thx.

Sure. Temps the same? Sure everything is the same?

Not to hi jack this great thread but Ridgeracer, my Tuner Mike Kinsman of Tuning Alliance (.com) is pretty good and likes the 68HTA. He's in W.Springfield MA, why don't you call him and see if you can meet up with him, he has reasonable rates.

When it comes time, I will go with this turbo too and he will do the tune.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

IIRC your tune had a LOT of timing in it vs my 94 pump tune.

Max Capacity....Im going to pass on Mike. Real nice guy but....let me not go any further..:lol:

LBGT...I ran this pull in 75 deg weather at 4 am this morning. Granted my timing might be a little aggressive (maybe a deg too high) but I have a FMIC. Car was moving at highway speeds with AC off for 8 mins prior to this pull. Had a tank full of Sunoco 93.. BTW if you try to run this .csv file in Airboy's sheet I have 18" wheels all around with 225/45 tires.

I was also changing the amount of timing I run to the right side of the IAT timing comp table. If you think I have too much timing then i'll cut back 2 deg on that table.

romraiderlog_20100819_040811.csv

That looks bad, AFRs look ok.

Try some torco, see if it goes away, then you know 100% for sure it was real knock. If it is, then possibly bad gas or something else. Hard to tell how much timing you are running as it is obviously pulling a lot with all the knock sums increments going on, something is off.

Yeah....I'm staying out of WOT of course. As per LV in high load it pulled 1.21 deg from 4K-4.8K. Then above that 2.82 deg. On another note, I pulled out that exhaust gasket and made the ID a little larger yesterday afternoon. I had some knock in 2 low load cells that seems to be cleaning up now. I'll try and see if I can find some torco as well. Really hope this motor isn't shot.

• 4 weeks later...

LBGT.

Sorry, not been keeping up on the thread, so I hope this was not previously covered.

Since my car has been down for 3 months (been VERY lazy about the current build) I am getting antsy. I got myself motivated today to start working on completing the car.

I pulled the turbo for inspection today and had a brain fart. These usually cost me thousands of dollars. Basically I was trying to stop myself from buying a new turbo. The build isn't even done and I am thinking I am going to want more than the 68 can give.

I started looking into the new XT's from Blouch (2.5XT-R?). Then got side tracked all day looking at turbos. In the end maybe I am too nuts. Shamar thinks we should maxx out the 68 before moving on. He is worried about me blowing the block too soon, lol. 500whp?

So, the million dollar question... your thoughts on swapping the 7cm hotside for a Blouch 10cm hotside. I know that the 68 can push more air. No way am I using all 47lbs. Do you think the 10cm hotside would increase efficiency up top and give the extra ponies from 5000rpm north? I am on e85 and with all the timing I can give up a few hundred RPM of spool. Plus the external wastegate now.

A penny for your thoughts sir.

8 cm hotside will yield some more power, 10cm is a complete absolute waste IMO. You will gain 8 whp over the 8 cm housing and lose 500 rpm of spool.

DOM2.5XTR spools like crap. I was excited about it as well, and begged people for logs, I have yet to find one that even spools as good as an old DOM3 or ATP3076.

If you can wait a bit, there is some EXTREMELY exciting turbo option coming soon exclusively from FR. I can't spill the beans, but I have seen pics, and we are talking new technology like we have never seen before!

8 cm hotside will yield some more power, 10cm is a complete absolute waste IMO. You will gain 8 whp over the 8 cm housing and lose 500 rpm of spool.

DOM2.5XTR spools like crap. I was excited about it as well, and begged people for logs, I have yet to find one that even spools as good as an old DOM3 or ATP3076.

If you can wait a bit, there is some EXTREMELY exciting turbo option coming soon exclusively from FR. I can't spill the beans, but I have seen pics, and we are talking new technology like we have never seen before!

Im happy with the AVO380 on E85......

but I am all ears :spin:

You are the second member to tell me this. When, when , when? Spill the beans in private, lol. I have MAJOR money (like $10k+) in this build. I dont want to tear it down 1 month after completion for a new turbo. Damn I hate thinking too much.

This will blow away everything you have seen to date, I guarantee it!

Sigh... damn... just when I thought I was up-to-date on the turbo of the month something else comes along. Will these new turbos suit my tastes? LGT bolt-on a must...

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

They are referring to Full Race. They have been producing twin scroll set ups for some time. They just released a MONSTER Civic Si set up capable of 700whp with INSANE spool.

I am assuming their is a new Full Race twinscoll V3 set up coming soon. But knowing Full Race, that means a new uppipe, downpipe, header, possibly a new FMIC, turbo and other parts included in the kit. Will probably retail for $5k or more.

I LOVE FR parts. But in reality they are a little out of my price range usually. With all the money I blew on this build I dont think a FR twin scroll set up is going to happen anytime soon.

With that realized. Now what to do? I want spool in the 3500RPM area. But also want to hit 450-500whp on this build. Then build a motor, then get a BIG turbo to use with an engine that can flow air.

Archived