LegacyGT.com

Full tune of 68HTA, KSTech 73 MAF, Racer X FMIC and DW750s

LittleBlueGT

Great work figuring out the issue with Meth injector flow in the cold! Impressive work. ;) And it absolutely makes sense. (Your formula is in keeping with antifreeze to water proportions in the very cold.) And I'm sorry you don't have better fuel -- drop in any time and we'll fill up that blue GT with nice 93 Octane Massachusetts Sunoco--my treat. :)

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A heater at the nozzle would be a good fix. I didn't realize there was such a larger pressure cut with those systems. They could also do a small heater pre nozzle to heat the fluid prior to injection as well.
"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

A heater at the nozzle would be a good fix. I didn't realize there was such a larger pressure cut with those systems. They could also do a small heater pre nozzle to heat the fluid prior to injection as well.

A small in-line heater just before the nozzle is the plan. Having a heater anywhere else just would not work, as most people only use their alky in small spurts here and there.

Humm maybe if my motor wasn't so high in mileage I would try meth too..I don't even care to run more than 18.5 psi up top on the 68HTA....Trying to get another 60-80K out of it. Currently have 110K.
"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

Humm maybe if my motor wasn't so high in mileage I would try meth too..I don't even care to run more than 18.5 psi up top on the 68HTA....Trying to get another 60-80K out of it. Currently have 110K.

You may change your mind on meth in the next few months when you see the comprehensive report I will have on it, including logs of a failsafe in action! (forcing failsafe to go into action for purpose of testing)

Interesting....even with your crap gas, should be fun running meth 24/7

Meth allows me to have a decent consistent tune period.

I think I may do a torco and meth tune just for kicks, if I get a chance to do the 1/4 this summer. I am taking days off to do some road courses, but maybe I will hit the strip too.

You may change your mind on meth in the next few months when you see the comprehensive report I will have on it, including logs of a failsafe in action! (forcing failsafe to go into action for purpose of testing)

How much time elapses between the sensor detecting no flow, and the controller cutting boost?

How much time elapses between the sensor detecting no flow, and the controller cutting boost?

On my system it is not variable, so I will be logging make believe failures from partial throttle runs, IIRC it is about 0.3 secs.

If it is not cutting boost (well, it is right now) but it will be sending a signal to test-mode connectors which will drop IAM (DAM) to 0. I am not the 1st one to do this, but I think I will be the first to log it, and describe in detail.

Essentially whatwill happen in the event of too little flow is this:

-DAM drops to 0

-DA table (which is about 8 degrees for high load on my alky map) will drop to 0 thus running less timing then my pump tune

-this drops WGDC to 0%

-enables failsafe fuel map (which will be 10:1 AFR or so)

All said and done, if I have an alky failure my tune will be less aggressive then my pump tune. How will the delay (delay can be changed from AM, or if you have an HFS-6 it is user adjustable) affect things? I don't know. But we will see.

5000 RPM = 83 revs/second = 25 revs in .3 seconds = hmm...

Just thinking out loud.

I hear yah. There has to be a delay in the system to work, any other system with a failsafe also has a delay.

FWIW a clogged jet, or a leaky fitting or a pump that suddenly failed likely wouldn't instantly stop all injection. I believe that the majority of alky failures would result in the injection slowly ceasing over the period of likely less then 1/2 second, but I doubt it would go from 100% to 0% injection in 2ms.

That is why I do logs of it.

I believe that the majority of alky failures would result in the injection slowly ceasing over the period of likely less then 1/2 second, but I doubt it would go from 100% to 0% injection in 2ms.

That's a good point.

Have I mentioned that I hate our gas lately?

Just took a LV of a maturely driven 09 WRX completely stock, pulling a few degrees of timing in anything above 4400 rpm and 2.0 load. Worse above 5600 rpm. And this is on Shell 91 octane, which appears to be the best gas we have.:icon_neut

Makes me want to cry.:icon_cry:

I haven't' logged my car in a while for two reasons:

1) I hate running real low timing on pump gas, and

2) I was still getting a bit of knock on runs in any gear higher then 2nd

I figured it was best to wait for new FMIC (which should be on it sway tomorrow).:wub: Then I will continue to tune.

On a side note, my alky system:

Many alky users have noticed a diminishing amount of alky injected as it gets real cold. I was seeing 2 bars of flow vs 7 when it was -15F outside.

I have been working on this issue for some time, but never was able to test everything needed. We have the problem worked out now;

-I thought it may have been the flow sensor not working properly in the cold, but now that I have the front O2 in the DP, I was able to easily verify AFRs in any temp (before I could only check with my non-permanently installed WBO2, and I didn't like installing it through the window in the cold), I was able to ascertain that the alky system was flowing less, as the flow sensor read.

-I then thought it may be the pump that was affected by cold temps, but Richard from Aquamist sent me a gauge, and sure enough it held rock steady at 170 psi, no matter what temp.

-this led to the only logical possible answer; when it gets below about 30F the pressure drop from 170 to about 20 psi was enough to cause momentary freezing at the injection nozzle. I then tried mixing in a bit more meth (app. mixture was 70-80% meth vs 50/50 by volume) This seemed to solve the problem. When it got below about -10F or so flow was still reduced a very small amount, but I think it will be easily livable.

I don't know the possible long term consequences on my WWF system of running a high meth mix, I guess I will find out. FWIW Richard says he will design an in-line heater to solve this problem for next winter.

Now I can run my alky all year!!!!!!:)

Cliff notes:

-if you run your alky system below 30F, consider running a higher concentration of meth, say 70% or so, if running it below 0F consider running 80% or so

That must be the same crap gas I had when I tuned my car.

I filled up Shell 93 but calvin from Cobb said it had to be 91. It was shell and it knocked like crazy! Put the E85 in and all was good.

• 3 weeks later...

FMIC is on, painted black so it is not really noticeable.

I will have more info in the weeks ahead, but it definitely has helped a bit. I would say the better cooling resulted in 10 whp, and the 1.5 to 2 degrees of timing I could add resulted in another 10 whp.

The throttle response has changed, I don't like it. I am getting used to it though, not the end of the world. In the future if I buy a new STI I will stick TMIC as they have a much bigger scoop, and better TMIC options. Sliding a car in the snow and placing it exactly where you want is easier with better throttle response.

Boost threshold is exactly as it was before.

I mostly made this post to see my signature change.;)

That's good to hear. I haven't tweaked my tune as of yet with the FMIC, but it's nice to know there's likely a few degrees of timing on the table for me. I haven't noticed any difference in throttle response though.

FMIC is on, painted black so it is not really noticeable.

I will have more info in the weeks ahead, but it definitely has helped a bit. I would say the better cooling resulted in 10 whp, and the 1.5 to 2 degrees of timing I could add resulted in another 10 whp.

The throttle response has changed, I don't like it. I am getting used to it though, not the end of the world. In the future if I buy a new STI I will stick TMIC as they have a much bigger scoop, and better TMIC options. Sliding a car in the snow and placing it exactly where you want is easier with better throttle response.

Boost threshold is exactly as it was before.

I mostly made this post to see my signature change.;)

That's good to hear. I haven't tweaked my tune as of yet with the FMIC, but it's nice to know there's likely a few degrees of timing on the table for me. I haven't noticed any difference in throttle response though.

Maybe it is because I am anal about that, maybe it is because you have a turbo that isn't quite as responsive.

Do you notice a difference in boost recovery after a shift? I do.

Is the altered throttle response perhaps a function of the 91 Craptane you're forced to endure? Or maybe the 7cm-2 hotside of the 68HTA? Or the KS-Tech intake? (just fishin...) Are you running meth yet?

And before you buy a new STI with better TMIC options and lose a bunch of bread on depreciation, how about one of those Full Race twin scroll turbo kits for the blue GT? :wub:

RRR

Is the altered throttle response perhaps a function of the 91 Craptane you're forced to endure? Or maybe the 7cm-2 hotside of the 68HTA? Or the KS-Tech intake? (just fishin...) Are you running meth yet?

And before you buy a new STI with better TMIC options and lose a bunch of bread on depreciation, how about one of those Full Race twin scroll turbo kits for the blue GT? :wub:

RRR

Tuned 91 before, so no. 7cm hotside and KSTech intake were all on with TMIC. The altered throttle response is from the FMIC. Many people notice it, some don't.

I am following every single TS thing I can. I have logs from everyone I can possible get them from (including begging) from US, Canada, UK down under, you name it.

So far no real kit that will for sure fit our car, too much custom work, and I cannot weld.

Besides, my car is turning out very nice. No need to push it on our platform.

In a few years, dual AVCS, wider tire options, more power and a 6-speed tranny w/ front LSD would be nice!

Sooooo.... If you could do it all over again with having meth, would you still take the plunge with the FMIC????

I would. I was sooooo frustrated with our gas. I kept thinking maybe I was missing something in the tune. But many other local cars have the same problem. Now I can actually run a pump gas tune that is somewhat respectable. The difference from AVO380 to HTA68 was enough to throw off the IC balance+our gas combo.

That being said, I still wish I had a TMIC, but it won't really work for our cars for me. So if/when I do get a new STI that is what I will stick with.

Archived