LegacyGT.com

Full tune of 68HTA, KSTech 73 MAF, Racer X FMIC and DW750s

LittleBlueGT

Given my present curiosity level and my want to keep tuning something, I just may do that.;)

I think you're better off going with one of the new xtr 10cm blouch turbo offerings.

06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think you're better off going with one of the new xtr 10cm blouch turbo offerings.

I don't. I have yet to see one of them spool very good at all.

The only one that would be of interest would be the 2.5 XTR, but if the 3.0 w/ 10 cm turbine side doesn't spool well, then why would the 2.5XTR? I kinda think if it is big for a 3.0, then it might really be too big for the 2.5.

FWIW I have seen quite a few logs from a friend with a 4.0XTR, and it actually spools very well for a 60ish lb turbo. IMO that means the right sized turbine housing for that comp wheel.

Blouch supposedly has a TS housing in the works too, but we all know that TS housings take about 8 years to develop, so hopefully I will not be on old-age pension when it comes out.

If you want to spend an additional grand, you can buy a jdm twinscroll turbo (preferably blown), and have Bryan@BNR put anything you want into the housings. He said he already did one. I was thinking TD05H or even TD06 hotside, and HTA68 compressor side with twinscroll. Exhaust shop or anyone with a TIG welder can use a JDM-style DP flange and make a DP. BTW I am in no way associated with him, I just really like that he'll make what FP and blouch are much less willing to do.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

LBGT: You've summarized extensively the performance changes the HTA68 produced. I wonder if you could check in on the intake swap (some months ago, now). As I recall you switched from the AEM CAI to the KS-Tech 73mm unit. Your thoughts or conclusions at this point? Right move? Better flow? Any regrets? How does the noise of the KST compare to the AEM? Thanks so much. (And so good to hear--better fuel has arrived for LB! :icon_razz)

LBGT: You've summarized extensively the performance changes the HTA68 produced. I wonder if you could check in on the intake swap (some months ago, now). As I recall you switched from the AEM CAI to the KS-Tech 73mm unit. Your thoughts or conclusions at this point? Right move? Better flow? Any regrets? How does the noise of the KST compare to the AEM? Thanks so much. (And so good to hear--better fuel has arrived for LB! :icon_razz)

KSTech is a lot bigger, so can easily flow more air. AEM is good for anything smaller then a 68HTA, or even a 68HTA if used in warmer climates, and not below about 50F or so.

AEM goes deeper in the fender, and is more susceptible to getting the filter wet (not talking about hydro-locking motor, but I suppose it could happen easier on the AEM, but I have never heard of it happening).

IIRC both are about the same volume, well maybe the KSTech is a bit louder, but neither are near as loud as the K&N.

Both were easily tuneable.

• 2 weeks later...
Where to from here LBGT? How go the meth adventures? Will you stick with the HTA68, or seek power elsewhere? What do you think of the new billet wheel Blouch turbos, the 18g-xt and 20g-xt?

Still trying to get the test-mode-connector style of fail-safe to work perfect for alky. So no real tuning yet on meth.

I am in China now (1 month) so nothing has changed anyways.

I am closely watching every thread I can find on the new xtr stuff (18G, 20G, 2.5XTR etc...) If not for the LGT, then maybe for a new STI a few years down the road.

I also know that Garrett will be releasing their new wheels too, so a rotated 30R might be a very attractive option in the future.;)

And then there's the borgwarner S255 and up, which makes for a very sweet compressor map plot as well. No doubt you're keeping tabs on that option in TS as well.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

And then there's the borgwarner S255 and up, which makes for a very sweet compressor map plot as well. No doubt you're keeping tabs on that option in TS as well.

I am. BW has the better comp wheels already, but Garrett is catching up. I prefer a water cooled cartridge anyways (I know it is not needed).

I think the new 3071 will be a 49 lb wheel vs a 47, and with the right trubine housing may work very nice. On IWSTI a TS hta3076 performed very well, but I would prefer something smaller.

A SS 3076 (normal 3076) w/ the 0.63 AR performs very well on a dual AVCS 08 STI. Perhaps a SS tial housed new 3071 (when it comes out) will perform very well on a dual AVCS motor. (by performs well, that to me means close to 380 whp on 94 gas and spool by 3500 rpms)

I am also watching the new blouch TS 20g that should be coming out. If it used their XTR wheel it might flow 48-49 lbs/min which is about right for me. I have no qualms at all using a JDM manifold, they are very very good.

On a side note, I am taking my DP off soon as I think my cat is melted or broken or clogged. I could not run any higher then 17 psi at red-line on the last few logs on my 68HTA, and my car seems quieter.:confused:

Been watching them for a while, but I have seen no cars with it installed.

FWIW I have solicited logs from guys in the UK, and will do so again, if I find someone with their turbo over there.

Could be interesting.... a twinscroll garrett BB turbo.

I thought the turbo they developed and tested on the type 25 was a pretty good one. Should be interesting to see how the new one does.

I would love to have one of their cars

Could be interesting.... a twinscroll garrett BB turbo.

I thought the turbo they developed and tested on the type 25 was a pretty good one. Should be interesting to see how the new one does.

I would love to have one of their cars

Yeah but those list prices... :(

Noting yet, as the AVO380 was run on alky w/ EWG, but so far no hta68 on alky.

It flows about 30 g/s more air and spools a couple hundred rpm faster. Nothing huge, but just enough to be a noticeable difference in both spool and power.

I think that when Garrett has the new GT28 comp wheels out, that might make the AVO380 a real nice turbo. (expect that to take a year or more)

This is probably the route I will go when/if the rebuild ever comes.

I am really happy with my AVO380 so far especially on the E85 hitting 360wtq by 3500 RPM.

New comp wheel and a FMIC may be in my future.

Of course if I go FMIC I could switch things up a bit.

Of course I could. I could probably spike it to 28 if I wanted to.

Game is over. You guys suck.

I just found out a station close to my house is carrying 94 octane gas!:wub: Now our 91 octane gas sucks (I know cause I can go south of the border and run more timing on their 90 octane) so I am not holding my breath for this 94 being near as good as Eastern US 93 (which COBB says tunes like 100 octane race gas)

It is 91 octane gas, and then Ethanol is added to bring it up to 94 (about 10%).

Either way, I have tuned an STI on it before, and I was able to run about 2 degrees more timing and .5 AFR points leaner w/o any knock then similar set-ups do on our local 91. I may have been able to get even more power out of it, but we only had 1/2 hour to play.

Let the fun begin!!!!:) Now maybe, just maybe I will be able to run 26+ degrees of timing up top on meth (before I could only run 19 or 20 with my AVO380 and TMIC) like some people I know.;)

Its the fuel that makes the difference. Love the cobb statement above.

Did I reAd correctly u are running 310 whp on our gas? Where did you dyno ?

Road dyno, but it compares very close to most Mustang dynos that don't have a correction factor. It matched up almost identically when I spent some time on the dyno in Portland.

It depends a lot on temp too.;)

Yea, I guess it is worth it.

I would consider doing a full STI swap and going with an STI style TMIC, but then I don't think our hoodscoop is really big enough.

Look at how big an 08+ GR chassis scoop is.

LBGT, you mention it takes an additional tenth of a second or so for the car to respond to a throttle increase. My question is--while driving--do you notice that due to this delay, the car feels like the power curve has shifted to the right at all? If so, how much? Just talked to another member with the itsme FMIC and he said his VF46 felt roughly 300rpms slower to deliver power. Since the 68HTA is not the same, wondering what you perceive?

LBGT, you mention it takes an additional tenth of a second or so for the car to respond to a throttle increase. My question is--while driving--do you notice that due to this delay, the car feels like the power curve has shifted to the right at all? If so, how much? Just talked to another member with the itsme FMIC and he said his VF46 felt roughly 300rpms slower to deliver power. Since the 68HTA is not the same, wondering what you perceive?

1/10 of a sec corresponds to different amounts of lag, depending on conditions.

On the dyno, or doing a 3rd gear run from low rpm, it is not even noticeable (logs or feel).

Driving in 1st gear at 3500 rpms, then tromping on it results in a noticeable time 1/10 of a sec or so. Maybe that feels like 300 rpm of loss of spool, hard to say.

In 5th gear that 1/10 of a sec might be 40 rpm.

Archived