LegacyGT.com

2008 and 2009 owners: beware of bad internals

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So...

05 LGT and STi are 8.2:1 (no 2.5T wrx)

06 LGT and STi are 8.2:1 (first year 2.5T WRX, you say 8.4:1)

07 LGT, WRX, and STi are 8.4:1

08 LGT, WRX, and STi are 8.4:1

The only one that's not the same per model year is the 06 WRX which you say is 8.4 while the others are 8.2... I think that's wrong. And there isn't a USDM 04 LGT

So you repeated what I said but in a different way that made it look like I was wrong. So basically you don't really know either, you're just using a different source than me that may or may not be any more accurate.

04 LGT was an obvious typo (however there *IS* USDM 04 LGT :lol:)....

Geeez. You said compression is same across all 2.5 turbo motors. Again. It isn't.

Here we go again, maybe you'll get it this time:

8.2:1 : 04-09 STI, 05-06 LGT

8.4:1 : 06-09 WRX, 07-09 LGT

Then what on the engine is making that .2:1 difference? I guess they use a thinner HG on the LGT and WRX and a super thick one on the STi.

Piston & head combo.

And before you ask what difference .2 does make? Pretty much none, except to show your incompetence :lol:

incompetence in what? I internetz skills aren't at the level 5 wizard like yours? Maybe I should strive for Level 6 Sorcerer.

No, you should strive to post accurate information. That's all.

I like to think of it as Three Stooges, with Rao throwing in the occasional "Well since the engines are totally different that would make sense."

Of course, all 3 of them are highly intelligent and capable people. Which just makes it all the more fun :)

All we need is for Vimy to appear out of nowhere and add something about the Spec.B*

Joe

*Please note: Vimy is not to be included in the highly intelligent and capable remark. Also, the Spec.B is the king of cars.

UPDATE:

After getting the OEM motor replaced and taking it to get tuned, I found that the knock table and timing were way out of whack. .44 timing advanced had the car feeling like it was choked. The tuner (Agile Auto) was able to fix it all.

Now... here's what has happened in the last 3000 miles.

From point of repair to 500 miles, drove the car gently, putting positive and negative pressure on the piston rings by backpressure and acceleration.

At 500 miles, had the oil changed and oil filter changed.

At 1000 miles, had the car tuned by Agile Auto. They fixed the timing issues and the car gets better gas mileage, better acceleration and is now within thresholds for any mods on the car.

From 1000 - 2500 miles - checked oil regularly.

3000 miles out - oil change, filter change.

3250 miles out, noticing grey smoke during idling of long periods of time. In the morning before work or if I'm at an extended red light. When I step on the gas, a small cloud puffs out, but then no more smoke, even if I drive for a few minutes and then park and look for it specifically.

3250-3750 - checking oil religeously, oil dropped on dipstick from 1/8" to 1/4" below top dot, after engine was warmed and run for less than 10 minutes (no racing conditions), engine bay temp seems hot but not too hot.

4000 miles - I pulled into a gas station and had to wait in line, I let the car idle after it had been on the highway for 1.5 hours. Gas attendant said "woah, look at all the smoke coming out of your exhaust" Smoke was billowing up from behind the car and wafting up the passenger side. Was greyish white and somewhat thick. After I pulled up to the gas pump, I turned the car off. Smoke stopped. Checked dipstick, still oil on it. Stopped and ate lunch and gave the car about an hour. Dipstick still has 1/4 under top dot of oil. No more plumes of smoke on the way home.

Today - started car and let it idle before work. No smoke coming from exhaust while it warmed up till blue dot turned off.

-------------

question: is this normal? Is this the engine breaking in, or a sign of faulty pistons, ringlands or internals? - car is not tracked, but is tuned from a certified speed shop, with cobb airbox, and a catted turbo back exhaust.

I have NOT yet signed the Subaru of America "waiver of laibility" they want me to sign releasing them of liability with the new engine they put in. I have the paperwork but have not signed anything.

I can see the error in my ways the 1st time around, but this is a brand new engine installed by Subaru techs and brought into conforming specs by a certified tuner on a dyno.

UPDATE:

After getting the OEM motor replaced and taking it to get tuned, I found that the knock table and timing were way out of whack. .44 timing advanced had the car feeling like it was choked. The tuner (Agile Auto) was able to fix it all.

Now... here's what has happened in the last 3000 miles.

From point of repair to 500 miles, drove the car gently, putting positive and negative pressure on the piston rings by backpressure and acceleration.

At 500 miles, had the oil changed and oil filter changed.

At 1000 miles, had the car tuned by Agile Auto. They fixed the timing issues and the car gets better gas mileage, better acceleration and is now within thresholds for any mods on the car.

From 1000 - 2500 miles - checked oil regularly.

3000 miles out - oil change, filter change.

3250 miles out, noticing grey smoke during idling of long periods of time. In the morning before work or if I'm at an extended red light. When I step on the gas, a small cloud puffs out, but then no more smoke, even if I drive for a few minutes and then park and look for it specifically.

3250-3750 - checking oil religeously, oil dropped on dipstick from 1/8" to 1/4" below top dot, after engine was warmed and run for less than 10 minutes (no racing conditions), engine bay temp seems hot but not too hot.

4000 miles - I pulled into a gas station and had to wait in line, I let the car idle after it had been on the highway for 1.5 hours. Gas attendant said "woah, look at all the smoke coming out of your exhaust" Smoke was billowing up from behind the car and wafting up the passenger side. Was greyish white and somewhat thick. After I pulled up to the gas pump, I turned the car off. Smoke stopped. Checked dipstick, still oil on it. Stopped and ate lunch and gave the car about an hour. Dipstick still has 1/4 under top dot of oil. No more plumes of smoke on the way home.

Today - started car and let it idle before work. No smoke coming from exhaust while it warmed up till blue dot turned off.

-------------

question: is this normal? Is this the engine breaking in, or a sign of faulty pistons, ringlands or internals? - car is not tracked, but is tuned from a certified speed shop, with cobb airbox, and a catted turbo back exhaust.

I have NOT yet signed the Subaru of America "waiver of laibility" they want me to sign releasing them of liability with the new engine they put in. I have the paperwork but have not signed anything.

I can see the error in my ways the 1st time around, but this is a brand new engine installed by Subaru techs and brought into conforming specs by a certified tuner on a dyno.

I am surprised they let you even have the car. I know We would not release the vehicle back to you until you signed or if you refused to sign, we would put "customer refuses to sign".

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Why not put the car back to stock, remove the airbox and the exhaust, have the ecu reflashed by subaru to bring it back to stock. Clearly your car is not okay and it's not like you are able to utilize these "upgrades" with smoke coming out of your car. Don't you want your car to last another couple of....weeks?!?! Just go back to stock and see if it is still happening, if so, go back to subaru and tell them, quickly!

I purchased this particular vehicle because it boasted power and performance; I did not purchase the car to baby it. I bought it with the intentions of modifying it as a street legal performance vehicle in my price range.

I cannot return the vehicle to stock, because I do not own the OEM parts, they were sold to help pay for the cost of modification.

I purchased the mods so that I could modify the vehicle in a specific pattern.

I was very clear to the dealership when I purchased this vehicle that I was going to modify it, I wanted a car with balls but without the high-school look of an imprezza. We settled on the Legacy GT because it had more power and was mod-friendly.

What helped me decide on this model was the great success I heard from people with the 05 models. I've never heard of a single problem close to what I've had to deal with. What's shaping up is that the 08 legacy GT is a stock-only car that you can't push to it's limits; you have to baby it.

If that's true then I will be considering selling the car in favor of something that might be a stretch on the wallet but I know won't seem to roll over and go belly up because I like to push the gas pedal... like an M3, IS-F or RS-4. To me, subaru had the best of it all, AWD, power, turbo and mod-friendly enough to get me over 300hp.

But enough about that. I'm wondering if the smoke I'm seeing is just excess burn off? Is this part of the 'it's normal for the GT to burn 1 quart of oil per 1000 miles driven' line that SoA told me in person?

Not new, used. But from an internals standpoint, is this type of smoke the tell-tale sign of the issue with this motor? What I don't understand is how it comes and goes. It's not consistent to show an actual failure; it seems that it happens when idling over a few minutes, with no load or back pressure.

And like a watched pot, it doesn't seem to do it when you randomly stop and then look at the exhaust.

I did notice it happens more so after the car is driven for a little bit, then comes up on a rest or long light.

My dealership said they used a 'blend' oil, not synthetic. Perhaps synthetic might help?

Clearly the modifications that you've done have caused problems. You may have been clear with the dealer that you were going to modify, but the car sure didn't hear you. You can either stick to your pride and watch the car blow, or put it back to stock and have a drivable car. If you want a car with more power that you don't have to modify, then sure, go to the m3, is-f, or rs4, but your thinking pattern isn't rationale. Because you bought this car to modify it, you are going to do so regardless of whether or not it will cause the car to blow? You can't sell that car, it's a disaster. Buy the stock parts back, and put them in. It really seems to be your only option here. It's that, throw more money into it with the chance that it may/may not help, or watch it blow. It's a common sense decision. Sorry the mods didn't work out for you, it sucks, I see it was your intention when buying the car. Sometimes you need to know when to back off and make a logical decision. I realize I'm pushing my opinion on you pretty hard, sorry about that, but I couldn't sit around and destroy my car. I need transportation! Sometimes you have to bite the bullet. Maybe trade in your car for an 05 and start over. Maybe you will never buy another subaru, it's up to you.

Archived