LegacyGT.com

2008 and 2009 owners: beware of bad internals

so like the lady a few pages ago i am a little nervous as well.

i take possession on my sport model legacy (canada) non turbo'd 2.5

i plan no upgrades other than wheels it is a 2009 that is still brand new.

can anyone give me the cliff notes on what vin numbers are effected? 14 pages is a bit much to scroll through:)

thanks russ

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe the problem only applied to turbo engines.

The stop sale issued by Subaru specifically says 2.5L turbos, so you've got nothing to worry about.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f88/subaru-issues-turbo-stop-sale-certain-08-09-models-31757/

Forester Wagon 701045 or later 2008/01/08 or later

Legacy 2.5GT-LTD 222825 or later 2008/02/04 or later

2.5GT-B 222958 or later 2008/02/04 or later

OBK 2.5XT-LTD 353835 or later 2008/02/01 or later

Impreza Sedan 523363 or later 2008/01/08 or later

Wagon 825183 or later 2008/01/08 or later

Wowie Zowie, do I ever feel like I sidestepped a bullet! The new '08 Spec B I bought last month was just before this disaster hit, mine is 212230 and the affected cars are

222958 and later. Dumb luck as I had missed this thread before I bought.

Anytime you mod the car (even changing the air filter) you run the risk of hurting the engine. So even if all you wanted to do was go stage 2, you run the risk of blowing the engine... regardless if the model year is known to have issues with the internals or not. If you are worried about the internals, put in aftermarket ones.

I have a hard time believing that car owners need to have a car tuned every time they change to a none stock, drop in air filter.

Well an update on the white smoke coming out of my exhaust that I was told was normal breaking in... yeah... turbo is blowing through a quart of oil every week. No warranty exists on an inner turbo seal that managed to crack itself sometime between when I had my motor replaced (was in the computer certified in working condition) and blew up under normal driving conditions a few thousand later.

I'm at my wits end... and all this when I'm the most financially vulnerable... I gotta laugh at all this someday, but not today. =(

Weiner, go pound sand somewhere else. It's not your ******* business. If you don't like the guy's posts ignore them. I don't care for his lamets, either, but it's you really who needs to SHUT UP.

I believe I made it my business when I brought out the truth back in day one of his ordeal.

WTF you are you? Self proclaimed truth police? Again, shut up. About this and few other things you don't have enough knowledge about.

I believe the problem only applied to turbo engines.

The stop sale issued by Subaru specifically says 2.5L turbos, so you've got nothing to worry about.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f88/subaru-issues-turbo-stop-sale-certain-08-09-models-31757/

Forester Wagon 701045 or later 2008/01/08 or later

Legacy 2.5GT-LTD 222825 or later 2008/02/04 or later

2.5GT-B 222958 or later 2008/02/04 or later

OBK 2.5XT-LTD 353835 or later 2008/02/01 or later

Impreza Sedan 523363 or later 2008/01/08 or later

Wagon 825183 or later 2008/01/08 or later

thanks for the quick reply i appreciate it and will post pics when i pick her up

thanks russ

The dealership has changed their tune slighly since I've last posted. I've calmed down enough to call SOC and speak rationally..... No one picks up or returns my calls. I should have learned my lesson after my NA legacy had a timing belt go after 11,000kms which had a casscade of issues due to poor service ultimately resulting in a short block replacement.

I would have never guessed that this would happen again. As much as I don't want to drive anything other than a Subaru, I don't think I could buy another one.

Subaru of Canada phoned me back today. My dealership was hoping to surprise me with a new long block tomorrow. Not only had this been expedited, but due to the problems with these motors, Subaru of Japan has been stocking replacement motors here in Canada for advanced replacement.

The time from when it was on the flat bed to when I expect it back tomorrow was 20 days.

The diagnostics are posted at the top of the post.

Full long block replacement with new fuel rail and injectors. The car ran rough for a while and I saw blue smoke out the back when I got it. I was _furious_ until I realized that it was the oil in my exhaust burning off. After about 100kms it seems to have all burnt off and she's running like a champ.

The local dealership provided me with a base '09 impreza through most of the time and I didn't need to rent a vehicle.

When the customer service manager from SOC contacted me she inquired as to wether or not I had winter tires yet, since I have winter tires already I'm hoping they'll throw in the winter mats and a few other things on my list of stuff to get.

Unfortunately T-56 and I are tethered to the same dealer (only one in our city/provence). This presents a problem as he is now the 3rd person I have met personally (not just internet chat) that have had minor to major issues with their car and had average to poor service at that dealer.

I actually met him as he was window shopping my car after coming out of the wash bay @ the dealer after my 28,000km oil change.

I however have had great service, knowledgeable staff, friendly sales person (mine anyway). Maybe that's because I haven't had any warranty issues yet.

Now one of the perks that our dealer offers is free oil changes for life. This includes XX point inspection and lube hinges, locks, fluid top ups etc.... this to me is a bit of a bonus as it gives me total dealer records for EVERYTHING, and I don't have to be bothered with the "lack of records" BS that seems to plague 50% or more of the "blown factory turbo thread posters".

Good luck T-56, I see you have already got your new long block, congrats on that. It was only a short while ago that we spoke about your excitement to take delivery on the only white spec b.

The dealership claimed I miss shifted and that's what blew the motor. I'm in this car because I had a lemon before it.... Timing belt went at 12,000kms and one day when I picked it up from the dealership the oil light came on which was a cracked head.

The dealership is suggesting that maybe it's my fault. They have even gone as far as to tell me that there are no Spec.B's with blown motors in Canada and that Spec.B's were never part of a stop sale order.

Thanks you legacygt.com/forums I'm not really concerned anymore.

you can not blow a good motor from a single miss-shift, that's total BS.

Ive miss-shifted before and my motor is still strong.

Spec B's are supposed to be indestructible didn't you know? :)

The diagnostics are posted at the top of the post.

Full long block replacement with new fuel rail and injectors. The car ran rough for a while and I saw blue smoke out the back when I got it. I was _furious_ until I realized that it was the oil in my exhaust burning off. After about 100kms it seems to have all burnt off and she's running like a champ.

The local dealership provided me with a base '09 impreza through most of the time and I didn't need to rent a vehicle.

When the customer service manager from SOC contacted me she inquired as to wether or not I had winter tires yet, since I have winter tires already I'm hoping they'll throw in the winter mats and a few other things on my list of stuff to get.

get them to throw in a cobb intake to help with your new engine ! :)

kidding of course, although our deal does sell cobb in the showroom :)

Archived