LegacyGT.com

2008 and 2009 owners: beware of bad internals

I'll admit, I don't know what caused your motor failure... any root cause determined?

I practically tried to beat an explanation out of them, but they couldn't give me a definite cause of failure. I'd kill for the real answer to the problem.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Short block or long block?

unsure, i know that the dealer didn't even open the motor, straight swap of turbo, manifolds, etc.... i looked at the motor they put in..... shiny! like it came right out of manufacturing line. i'm up to 12k now, no worries.....

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Personally, I have never babied any vehicle I have had... and never had a problem. My friends recount the same story...

Granted i haven't babied a vehicle nor my sportbikes during break in over the years. I also do not subscribe fully to mototune's methods as gospel either. They are not administering your warranty, Subaru is.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

I didn't exactly take it easy on mine when it was new, and the end result was a borked longblock. I'm also not sure of the exact failure (they send the engine away and never here from it again i guess), but got a new car eventually anyway.

I broke this one in MUCH nicer, just in case ;)

2013 Ford Taurus SHO

2009 Spec.B SWP Stg 2+ Airboy tuned

2010 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 5.7

unsure, i know that the dealer didn't even open the motor, straight swap of turbo, manifolds, etc.... i looked at the motor they put in..... shiny! like it came right out of manufacturing line. i'm up to 12k now, no worries.....

I imagine it was just a short block, because Subaru doesn't produce replacement long blocks. If the entire motor does need to be replaced, they have to get an assembly line motor with everything from the alternator to the AC compressor already installed. My local dealer has only ever done one of those, and it was because the tech didn't tighten the drain plug after an oil change and the motor fried itself in the first 15 miles.

I imagine it was just a short block, because Subaru doesn't produce replacement long blocks.

Yes they do:) We have put a long block in before. All we had to do was swap over the intake, turbo and accessories as such. First one we have seen being normally we get short blocks which is the block with rotating assembly, oil pan and pretty much that is it.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Yes they do:) We have put a long block in before. All we had to do was swap over the intake, turbo and accessories as such. First one we have seen being normally we get short blocks which is the block with rotating assembly, oil pan and pretty much that is it.

Lol, I'm not going to waste my time getting into a pissing match with you over this, but Subaru does NOT produce replacement long blocks, period. At least not in the US. If a long block is replaced, they are either using an assembly line motor or they ordered the short block and heads separately and assembled them at the dealer.

Yeah, per Subarufast there is no replacement part number for a brand new long block, there is one for the entire motor assembly.

Also new short blocks do not come with an oil pan, at least not for 05-06 LGT. Some remanufactured N/A short blocks come with oil pump and some other crap already attached.

Lol, I'm not going to waste my time getting into a pissing match with you over this, but Subaru does NOT produce replacement long blocks, period. At least not in the US. If a long block is replaced, they are either using an assembly line motor or they ordered the short block and heads separately and assembled them at the dealer.

I can assure you I know more about what Subaru does and doesn't send a dealer;)

Our dealership service dept, myself, and my technician had a long block sent to us for a customers Forester XT last year by SOA( being we couldn't order the long block, they had one sent in) already assembled in a crate minus the turbo/intake manifold and those top end components. We had to replace the turbo and swap over the intake manifold and other top end parts.

They may not sell replacement motors for every dealer to order as protocol, but they do produce them for certain circumstances. As in our case, we were told not to even go into the engine and they were going to ship us a new long block. So yes technically they do make them, the dealership just can't go an order one. My bad, I must lay off the damn drugs then:lol::rolleyes: No better yet, I won't waste MY time arguing with you because you don't know what the hell you are talking about. :)

I can assure you I know more about what Subaru does and doesn't send a dealer;)

Our dealership service dept, myself, and my technician had a long block sent to us for a customers Forester XT last year by SOA( being we couldn't order the long block, they had one sent in) already assembled in a crate minus the turbo/intake manifold and those top end components. We had to replace the turbo and swap over the intake manifold and other top end parts.

They may not sell replacement motors for every dealer to order as protocol, but they do produce them for certain circumstances. As in our case, we were told not to even go into the engine and they were going to ship us a new long block. So yes technically they do make them, the dealership just can't go an order one. My bad, I must lay off the damn drugs then:lol::rolleyes: No better yet, I won't waste MY time arguing with you because you don't know what the hell you are talking about. :)

Lol, save the bullshit stories for the naive walk in customers. Don't waste your time here.

Lol, save the bullshit stories for the naive walk in customers. Don't waste your time here.

Actually I have a pretty good rep here and a few other Subie sites for not being a bullshitter. If you are bored enough you can actually do a little research before you have diarrhea of the mouth.:rolleyes:

I am here on my time to help out as is Opie. But don't worry I won't waste anymore of my time in here trying to help. You have it all figured out champ.

Captainhook, knock it off. I am with you with hate towards stealars, but there are exceptions and blackfang appears to be one. SOA may do weird one-off custom repairs, so while there is no part # for a longblock it doesn't mean they can't supply one under special circumstances.

I am here on my time to help out as is Opie. But don't worry I won't waste anymore of my time in here trying to help.

I wouldn't consider spreading inaccurate information as "trying to help."

Captainhook, knock it off. I am with you with hate towards stealars, but there are exceptions and blackfang appears to be one. SOA may do weird one-off custom repairs, so while there is no part # for a longblock it doesn't mean they can't supply one under special circumstances.

Then let's see the repair bill from said "custom" SOA repair . . . cause I'm not naive enough to buy it. Should be interesting to see what they charged for a part with no billing code. :rolleyes:

Btw, I have absolutely no ill will towards either of my local dealers. They've always taken care of me and I'm personal friends with a number of technicians and service writers from both. So I have no hate towards the dealers, only towards bogus stories and inaccurate information that helps no one.

I wouldn't consider spreading inaccurate information as "trying to help."

After this post, I am done with the argument. If you don't want to listen, then fine. Everyone wonders why "we service advisors" ( i know Opie has said this in this thread as well) do not like to offer help and info? It is because people like captainhook is the reason right there. I grow old and tired real fast when I offer help and info and this is how it becomes. What I say is dismissed or slandered and arguements are made that I am wrong. Makes me wonder why I bothered to help.

I do not have the time nor patience, so guess what? You won't have to worry about me spreading my "inaccurate info" or any info anymore.:rolleyes: I will just stay out of this section and refuse to help despite the fact I have been asked by many and the mods to have a presence in here to help. This place is as bad if not worse than Nasioc.

Then let's see the repair bill from said "custom" SOA repair . . . cause I'm not naive enough to buy it. Should be interesting to see what they charged for a part with no billing code. :rolleyes:

Btw, I have absolutely no ill will towards either of my local dealers. They've always taken care of me and I'm personal friends with a number of technicians and service writers from both. So I have no hate towards the dealers, only towards bogus stories and inaccurate information that helps no one.

You will not see my customers repair bill that has her info on it. The motor was sent to us by SOA after i call them and my FSM about the issue. They ordered it and paid for it and shipped it to us. It does not get billed on the repair as we did not order it. Infact, we were told to destroy the old motor and render it useless instead of sending it back to SOA which is normal protocol. There is even a seperate operation code in warranty wizard for an entire engine replacement and a different one for a short block replacement. But I am sure since you know so much about this and I am just spreading inaccurate info. :rolleyes: I am done trying to prove myself to some internet asshole who thinks he knows what he is talking about, when he doesn't have the slightest clue and his only source of info is hearsay on the internet where mine is from my day to day job and talking with and dealing with SOA.

/\ Umm, we proved yesterday that Subaru does not produce a replacement long block, so why are you still talking?

Btw . . . I wouldn't call talking in depth to numerous service writers and technicians (which are personal friends) about this topic constantly over a 3 month span "hearsay on the internet." I just went through a motor replacement myself, I know personally what it's like AND what I'm talking about. Not to mention I have an objective opinion about the entire situation unlike yourself.

Ya know what? Screw it. Here is a screen shot of that invoice without her personal info.

Ya happy now? Notice there is no billed part number for the long block like i said. See ya. Ask your buddies now how that was possible. Just because you did not get one doesn't mean it can't happen.

I dont work for a stealership, and I claim to have no secret knowledge of the inner workings of SOA. But, I did race professionally for two major manufacturers and in MY experience, parts can be had that are not in any catalog or counterman's database. Circumstances arrise that require special accomodations. I would imagine that SOA could come up with a long block if they needed to. Even with aftermarket manufacturers, parts not normally available can be had for a minimum quantity order. I've got 3 pistons on my shelf that JE swears don't exist. I only needed 1, but paid them to make me 4 just to get the 1 I needed. Now that that motor is blown, I finally have a use for the second piston from the batch (only took 5 years). I have 2 sleeves sitting on the shelf that LA Sleeve swears don't exist. I had to buy 3 to get the 1 I wanted. Got 2 extra Seizco, I mean Wiseco pistons to go with them (they don't exist either). Should I go into the crank that Powroll made for me that doesn't exist? Or the swing arm, the upper A-arms, steering stems, TI nuts and bolts, brake master cylinder oh hell the list goes on. The point is, if SOA feels the pressure, they will produce it.

Sorry again about your troubles captainhook. F being nice to that thing and pin it! If the damn motor is going to break, its going to break. So you might as well get it over with. Once the cam lobes have been lubed good and the oil is up to temp, rip it. It used to scare the crap out of me when my mechanic used to take a brand new $5000 single cylinder engine and pin it 1 minute after starting the thing for the first time. Not rev it, pin it and hold it to the rev limiter for a while. Then he would get on the street and run 5th gear pinned till he ran out of road. Last time I babied an engine through break in, she seized on practice day. Only time I had 1 fail from ripping into it right away was my fault. Failed to measure exhaust valve clearance and sent the valve through the piston. Lazy never pays.

Intriguing . . . I look forward to sharing this with my pals at the dealership and hearing their explanation.

My only guess, assuming this really did take place, is that Subaru produced a limited number of replacement 09 motors once they realized they were flawed and started failing left and right.

blackfang pulled it (I understand why) but it was there. I saw it and the invoice showed a long block delivered by SOA at N/C.

And the winner is....(drum roll) blackfang!

Haha, perhaps. We'll see, I'm going to run that repair bill by my people to see if I can get some further info regarding this.

Btw . . . that was the customer copy, that's why it said N/C for everything.

It is pretty bad when I have to go that far to prove that I know what the hell I am talking about and the fact I have helped so many out in my own free time. I don't know everything, but I am not one to BS either.

I am still finished helping out in this section because I really shouldn't have to go that far and really ticked off that when you try and help, it leads to this. I will stick with Nasioc and IWSTI. They seem to be less defensive and more understanding and willing to accept things.

Archived