LegacyGT.com

Has anyone ever used the KYB GR-2 struts?

Tinman

I have over 104k miles on my '05 Legacy Wagon GT. Wish I had the money to by Koni's or Bilsteins but I just had the timing belt done.

Anyone have any comments on these struts? I am looking to do springs as well. Recommendations? I was thinking either Cobb or Swifts.

Did you see this recent thread?

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118271

KYB GR-2s are low-pressure struts/shocks that are typically billed as original equipment replacements, not necessarily a performance upgrade. I would imagine that they are roughly analogous to the stock KYB dampers. If you're going to go w/ aftermarket springs, use one that is designed to work w/ the KYB/stock LGT struts and tophats such as the Eibachs, Rallitek, or Cobb springs. Swifts are designed for use w/ Bilsteins.

The GR-2s I put on my '02 LGT are significantly stiffer than the OEM shocks and went a long way toward taming the suspension; no more wallowing before taking a set in turns. Although not high-tech or high-end, they are definitely a performance option. If your car will be a daily driver, consider keeping the stock springs as I did to maintain ride height to deal with obstacles and snow, and go with stiffer sways to keep the car flat in corners. Adding more bar in the back than the front will also make the car understeer less and raise the limits for hard cornering.

I believe the GR2s only feel more stiff because they're brand new, compared to the stock struts which probably have 60k+ miles on them....

I replaced my OEMs at 30k miles/3 years (no real wear) and the difference was dramatic; the car had NEVER handled that well before!!

Oh and I had a set of GR-2's on the wife minivan too.

Right from the KYB website:

"The GR-2 restores a vehicle's orginally designed performance".

"The Gas-a-Just is designed to increase vehicle perfomance and stability"

The GR-2 is not a performance strut, the Gas-a-Just is.

Oh and I had a set of GR-2's on the wife minivan too.

Right from the KYB website:

"The GR-2 restores a vehicle's orginally designed performance".

"The Gas-a-Just is designed to increase vehicle perfomance and stability"

The GR-2 is not a performance strut, the Gas-a-Just is.

That's consistent w/ my understanding. I've using KYBs for years on old air-cooled VWs and my Nissan truck. The GR-2s have always been a low-pressure gas shock/strut, i.e., a performance ride compromise, and the Gas-A-Just is a performance high-pressure gas shock/strut.

I believe the GR2s only feel more stiff because they're brand new, compared to the stock struts which probably have 60k+ miles on them....

Absolutely. I've seen a ton of tire reviews on tire rack about how what are known to be crappy tires are "OUTSTANDING" or "Way better than my old ones" or "Holds the road amazingly" Meanwhile they just came of a set of tires that have 40-50k miles on them. Even the worst NEW tires will be better than old ones!

-mike

Our take on struts for the Subies...

GR2s- Stock Replacements

AGX- Nice bump for Auto-x and street performance, adjustability is nice especially if you drive civilians in your car often.

Tokico D Specs- A step up from the AGXs very nicely constructed units.

Konis- Top notch adjustable struts best thing short of going to coilovers for street, auto-x or track applications.

Bilstiens- Great struts, but lack the adjustability of the Konis so I'd rate these as the best non-adjustable setup you can get.

-mike

If you want your car to ride similarly (maybe slightly stiffer) than it was when new, the Gr-2's are a good choice. THEY ARE NOT a performance strut, and you won't be happy for tracks days or any serious auto crossing.

Having said that, I had a set on my previous street driven only legacy and liked them. They also seem to hold up better than the OE struts IMO.

Archived