LegacyGT.com

How long did your OEM battery last?

Well mine lasted 7 years. Pretty impressive. Officially dead now.

Need some quick suggestions on a quality replacement. Autozone and Advance are closest/most convenient, do they carry any decent brands? There is a NAPA and Sears not too far away either.

Glad I put the v.3 cold side pipe on a while back so I don't have to remove the bumper to replace, just the undertray.

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • I Donated
Need some quick suggestions on a quality replacement. Autozone and Advance are closest/most convenient, do they carry any decent brands? There is a NAPA and Sears not too far away either.

Autozone (Duralast Gold) is supposedly better than Advance (Autocraft Gold). Both offer both Group 35 and Group 85. I got a Group 35 for my 05, but went with a Group 85 for my 07. The Group 85 is much less of a tight squeeze. Walmart (Everstart Maxx) is supposed to be good too, and I used them on my 90 Legacy and my 92 Infiniti G20, but they only offer Group 35, not Group 85, so I went with Duralast Gold for my 07 (Walmart was out of stock on Group 35 when I had to replace my 05's battery).

Autozone (Duralast Gold) is supposedly better than Advance (Autocraft Gold). Both offer both Group 35 and Group 85. I got a Group 35 for my 05, but went with a Group 85 for my 07. The Group 85 is much less of a tight squeeze. Walmart (Everstart Maxx) is supposed to be good too, and I used them on my 90 Legacy and my 92 Infiniti G20, but they only offer Group 35, not Group 85, so I went with Duralast Gold for my 07 (Walmart was out of stock on Group 35 when I had to replace my 05's battery).

Thanks, picked up one and installed today. Fired right up. Ended up just taking off the coupler over the battery and with an extra set of hands was able to remove the old and install the new without jacking up the car and loosening anything underneath.

Won't have to worry about that in the future at all though, as I plan to install your old PW TMIC soon enough. ;)

Battery hasn't shown any sign of being weaker than it was new...I'm obsessive about keeping things clean under the hood, including the battery posts/cables and keeping the battery topped off

. My '96 Ford Explorer's original battery finally blew a cell 4 years ago...That's a lot of years of service.

Battery hasn't shown any sign of being weaker than it was new...I'm obsessive about keeping things clean under the hood, including the battery posts/cables and keeping the battery topped off

. My '96 Ford Explorer's original battery finally blew a cell 4 years ago...That's a lot of years of service.

If that was my luck, it would stop working at 1am on a 15 degree night, in a spot with no cell phone reception. Lol

Still going... 12/2004 build date.. and the car sits at the airport (many times below zero) for days on end.. and the battery still tests perfect.... tick, tick, tick.. just waiting for that 'no start' late night fun :)

I read thru the thread a bit.. what are folks finding to be the most reliable replacements? A new battery from the dealer is $130.. not unreasonable.

• Mega Users
Still going... 12/2004 build date.. and the car sits at the airport (many times below zero) for days on end.. and the battery still tests perfect.... tick, tick, tick.. just waiting for that 'no start' late night fun :)

I read thru the thread a bit.. what are folks finding to be the most reliable replacements? A new battery from the dealer is $130.. not unreasonable.

everstart maxx, costco signature series are the best for the price IMO.

The DieHard brand has incredible lifespan, but cost around 110 i think.

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

I had the original on my 07 last only 3 years. Then I had a due hard gold last only three years as well. I replaced it and traded in the car. Not because of the battery though. The original leaked and ate my positive terminal. Replaced it with a marine grade one.

X

---

• 1 month later...

Last week I decided to replace my OEM battery after 120k/4yrs 4 months. My OEM battery wasn't showing any signs of weakness, and still started the car fine every time. But over the past 6-8 months I noticed it was leaking a little bit of fluid on top, and there was mild corrosion forming on the terminals. I don't know much about batteries, so I don't know how detrimental this is for a battery.

Part of the reason I decided to buy a new battery is because of a good deal advance auto parts had going on, that expired 12/31/12. Code A124 to get $40 off a purchase of $100 or more, and then a $25 rebate on autocraft gold batteries. So After all was said and done, I got a new autocraft gold battery for around $53 or $54 with tax.

I decided to go with the group 85 battery even though the advance auto parts web site recommended group 35. I went with the group 85 battery because my OEM battery said it was group 85, and I was worried the autocraft gold group 35 battery might be too long at 9 11/16". Additionally, the group 85 is a little cheaper, only has 5mins less reserve capacity (95 vs 100), 20 less cranking amps (780 vs 800), and only 15 less cold cranking amps (640 vs 625, still a substantial increase over OEM). Here's a few pics if anyone is interested.

1.thumb.jpg.6c7c23fe4486e0294c877c22baadccd5.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.321660bc10ff12375045c7896c5f7fdc.jpg

I replaced my OEM battery after 101K and 7 yrs with another Subaru battery. It's full replacement up to 32 months and I paid with Subaru Bucks, so it was essentailly free. I had it replaced before the winter got bad here in NE PA although the battery still seemed to start the car no problem. You never know when it would fail after 7 yrs. and I didn't want to get stuck somewhere.

Mine lasted 4 years technically. Although I had a slight wiring problem so it was getting drawn on for like 3 months. I later bought an interstate megatron II battery last week and so far so good . Subaru gets an F for battery security though it just sits in a box on top of a small radius of metal. Rather cheap design. Oh well. I'd figure like 5 years to answer your question

I just wanted to throw this out there since I've read about some people having the same issue I did when putting a new battery in. If your ground terminal doesn't clamp down on the battery post tight enough, you may have to remove the plastic ring that is fitted in the battery terminal. In the attached picture (not mine, found it online), you can see there is a small black ring around the bottom of the terminal. This plastic piece also sits between the terminal nut and bolt. If you take the battery terminal bolt out all the way and remove this plastic piece, it will allow you to tighten the terminal down a little more. Without removing this piece, the terminal wouldn't clamp down enough on my new battery post, after removing it I was able to fully tighten the terminal on the ground post.

groundclamp.jpg.ad074067a4e647e47faf010b0a0cbc0a.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived