LegacyGT.com

So I just picked up one of these....Subaru Front LSD

whitetiger

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^I seem to recall that as well, but there was very little feedback from it.

It was Gator GT. I pmed him and he said it kinda initially understeers more in turns but then being able to put power down, he can turn in more and get on the pedal more.... so his impression overall was very positive.

Why does the product description say "Sealed maintenance free operation with no special lubrication requirements." Is it really a sealed unit? Is it not lubricated by the transmission oil?

it means there is no need to rebuild it after a while or use special friction modifiers in the trans oil. it is just lubed by regular trans oil and requires no maintenance.

the viscous units are sorta ok. they only work after the wheels begint to slip. helicals senses the slip before it happends and tranfser power before the wheel slips. also, you cant overwhelm helicals since there are no friction plates like in the viscous units. with this unit in my car i will have 3 LSDs which is more than enough for 99.9% of the time. I mey be beneficial to get a helical diff for the rear in place of the viscous unit, but the bag for you buck there is alot less since you already have a LSD there and are just replacing it with a better one. The cusco tarmac 35/65 diff is actually a biased open diff so its not so great for daily driving in sow or foul weather. They do make a helical center diff but its $$$$$. The best thing for a DD car is to have helicals all around. For drag/rally cars, then make a stronger viscous center diff, but it causes lots of understeer in tighter corners on tarmac.

Are you saying that the stock '05 LGT comes with a rear LSD?

no, all subarus excpet the STI came with a open front diff. IMO what makes the sti so good is the fact that it has a front LSD. A font LSD will give a subaru TRUE AWD in any situation.
The STi has the helical front, Torsen rear, and a mechanical center diff with DCCD and the ability to shut off VCD or put it in a performance mode. It's not just the front diff.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

The STi has the helical front, Torsen rear, and a mechanical center diff with DCCD and the ability to shut off VCD or put it in a performance mode. It's not just the front diff.

well i have an 05 lgt so my vdc is already off;).

The point I was trying to make is that the main advantage the sti has is the front LSD. Sure the DCCD and torsen rear helps too, but our viscous diffs can do 90% of what the sti's diffs can do in most situations. the lack of a front LSD is the biggest difference between our cars and the sti in terms of traction.

That's not accurate. Pre-07 STI had clutch rear LSD. Also there are differences in DCCD implementation between 04-06 and 07+. 04 STI had Suretrack front diff, where ares 05+ has helical (essentially Torsen).

Anyways, I got my car back. First impressions driving the 1/2 mile back to my hous is that it feels exactly like stock under just daily driving, as it should. I havent pushed it yet as my trans need alittle bit of a break-in. no NVH or axle bind in turns.

Anyways, I got my car back. First impressions driving the 1/2 mile back to my hous is that it feels exactly like stock under just daily driving, as it should. I havent pushed it yet as my trans need alittle bit of a break-in. no NVH or axle bind in turns.

Booo! You should rip that! ;)

Archived