LegacyGT.com

So I just picked up one of these....Subaru Front LSD

whitetiger

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hmmm.......i wonder where i can get a 3.90:1 rear lsd diff?

07-09 LGT 5mt (viscous)

04-05 STI 6MT (clutch type)

if you want entire diff. Otherwise you can transplant LSD unit from any 5MT LGT or OBXT, WRX, etc. I believe OB 2.5i with "winter package" has rear LSD unit as well.

the ratio does not matter. you keep your old ring and pinion gears. the part# for the front lsd is in the first post of the thread. if you want a rear LSD, you can use the factory LGT one, prolly the cheapest way.

Thanks. I think the final drive on the GT is 4.11:1. i'll have to look up ratios. at least for the rear. i'll buy a front LSD, and i'll just bastardize a rear diff from some other car. ;) I want my speedo to stay the same, so no full GT swap.

the REAL fun is getting all the Cusco Diffs.. running a limited 1-way mechanical LSD of any sort will be a dramatic improvement over an open-diff any day.. of my many miles of tracking the GT, you come to learn how to 'cope' with the open diff (all it really means from a driver's learning curve/standpoint is that you change your driving to match that part). In case of an open diff to get fast lap times, you have to commit to a late apex and clip the apex deep so that you can unwind the wheel ASAP. Open diffs require you to spend less time turning AND flooring the throttle to get through the corners.

Throw in a 1-way diff, then you really can abuse the car and get away with being sloppy through the corners because now the car will actually pull through the corners rather than spin that inside unloaded wheel.

Take another step with the Cusco tarmac center diff (split is 35%/65%) and you'll really start to make the car feel more like a RWD car going into the turn with harder throttling.

Let's go all-out and run a 2-way rear LSD where you get lock-up during trail braking.. talk about a late apex action early on the turn-in point.. (aka drifting the car or a faint simulation of a e-brake turn-in, depending on the ramp profiles on the LSD).

Overall, any mechanical setup will do and be a huge gain in response and behavior over an open diff/viscous diff mix. That is why the Evos still come with helical diffs which makes them handle well on tarmac. Subaru at that time of the 05's STi opted to not go with a dedicated tarmac setup or even bother to one-up Mitsubitshi on that one simply that the car will handle differently on loose pavement.

While it's fun to run with more mechanical diffs, selecting the correct combination to match your road conditions is what everyone should think about. I think most of us drive on tarmac, so talking about driving in mud or dirt is kind of moot. Although having a full mechanical system and running in the dirt sure looks cool with all 4 wheels kicking up 10 feet high rooster tails. Hopefully by then, you will have a rally-inspired side-brake that can disengage the center diff and still be able to be on full throttle to spin the front two tires to pull you out of the muddy corner rather than under-steering into the ditch.

Ah, the fundamentals of rally knowledge.

Keefe

Thanks. I think the final drive on the GT is 4.11:1. i'll have to look up ratios. at least for the rear. i'll buy a front LSD, and i'll just bastardize a rear diff from some other car. ;) I want my speedo to stay the same, so no full GT swap.

07-09 5MT LGT is 3.9 :spin: 05-06 is 4.11.

Keefe, saying "mechanical diff" is vastly imprecise. I suppose you're refering to clutch type differentials. But then you mention helical (e.g. Torsen). There is a big difference between them.

the REAL fun is getting all the Cusco Diffs.. running a limited 1-way mechanical LSD of any sort will be a dramatic improvement over an open-diff any day.. of my many miles of tracking the GT, you come to learn how to 'cope' with the open diff (all it really means from a driver's learning curve/standpoint is that you change your driving to match that part). In case of an open diff to get fast lap times, you have to commit to a late apex and clip the apex deep so that you can unwind the wheel ASAP. Open diffs require you to spend less time turning AND flooring the throttle to get through the corners.

Throw in a 1-way diff, then you really can abuse the car and get away with being sloppy through the corners because now the car will actually pull through the corners rather than spin that inside unloaded wheel.

Take another step with the Cusco tarmac center diff (split is 35%/65%) and you'll really start to make the car feel more like a RWD car going into the turn with harder throttling.

Let's go all-out and run a 2-way rear LSD where you get lock-up during trail braking.. talk about a late apex action early on the turn-in point.. (aka drifting the car or a faint simulation of a e-brake turn-in, depending on the ramp profiles on the LSD).

Overall, any mechanical setup will do and be a huge gain in response and behavior over an open diff/viscous diff mix. That is why the Evos still come with helical diffs which makes them handle well on tarmac. Subaru at that time of the 05's STi opted to not go with a dedicated tarmac setup or even bother to one-up Mitsubitshi on that one simply that the car will handle differently on loose pavement.

While it's fun to run with more mechanical diffs, selecting the correct combination to match your road conditions is what everyone should think about. I think most of us drive on tarmac, so talking about driving in mud or dirt is kind of moot. Although having a full mechanical system and running in the dirt sure looks cool with all 4 wheels kicking up 10 feet high rooster tails. Hopefully by then, you will have a rally-inspired side-brake that can disengage the center diff and still be able to be on full throttle to spin the front two tires to pull you out of the muddy corner rather than under-steering into the ditch.

Ah, the fundamentals of rally knowledge.

Ok, very interested....you've got my attention.

So, being a 2008 Spec-B... I simply hit up the parts dept and ask for an LSD from say...an 06 STI and it's that simple and being a 6spd I'm saving on the labor because they don't actually have to split the case?

What would you suspect the labor to be?

Thx!

Another thing, how to qualify a shop in SoCal to install it correctly? If I don't know how to ask the right questions I will never know until it's too late.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

I have SpecB tranny in my wagon with 06+ STI's front LSD. Cost me around $850 installed. $500 part + $350 labor. Labor seems simple (no need to split the tranny, just pull the bell housing) - however what is not simple is setting the bearing preload and gear backlash.

Drew, you're going to have to rattle some cages in your local regional forum to see who has the expertise in differential work. It may or may not be a dealership.

I live in NH and traveled to NJ to RalliSpec to have mine installed. A few Subie Sport issues back, they did some diff work and mentioned the shop they did it at, which, iirc, was on the west coast.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

Funny thing, I'm excited to soon get my VF52 but I'm more excited about upgrading the front diff...

Weird...

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

it's simple if you know "the trick"

pray tell sir...pray tell. :confused:

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

Archived