LegacyGT.com

So I just picked up one of these....Subaru Front LSD

whitetiger

OK peeps. just has the car out and about in the rain. IT IS AWSOME!!! you can really feel the front end working now. with rain and fallen leaves on the ground the rear tires break away quickly under power and you can feel the delay you get with the center diff warming up and sending power to the front which then, due to the diff, immediatly pulls the car foward. I havent driven agressivly yet in turns but the car just feels more grippy under power.

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply
kept the stock one for now. the front is the one that requires the most work to replace since you have to split the trans. the center is in the transfer case at the rear of the transmission and can be seperated and removed without taking the trans off the car so i can do that any time in the future.

tires are still the #1 most effective handling/braking mod one can do to the car. Im at the point where ive done pretty much every bolt on mod one can do, so a diff upgrade was the next step. For me, this diff upgrade was definitly worth the money. for others, its prolly not necessary.

Bottom line is that i can now get on the power so early in turns, the front pull the car through and it whips the back around. 4wheels drifts seem to be very easy to do if you want to with the whle car "tank" turning through the drift untill you let of the power and then it just grips and goes. Its fantastic fun.

whitetiger i pray for your center diff and r160 rear end :)

Hate to say I agree. It was an 180* cone on an autox course, left foot braking and holding boost, that ate my rear diff :(. Just be mindful.... or full steam ahead and upgrade as needed :lol:.

the car is amazing. no understeer at all under power. It really feels more like an sti now. I was able to get over 5mph more on some turns i like to take on the limit. if you have the option to do this mod, DO IT!!!

I have an option to have a brand new sti front diff installed for ~$900 total (the tranny is out of the car, so that saves on the cost of labor). The guys I am talking to had brand new take off, which would run me $750 installed.... gone though.

I guess I still should jump on it.

Is the STi front diff a stubless design, if not it will only fit with replacement of the axels

It's stubless, besides stubs can be eliminated and replaced with proper axels.

No worries, a member did this to his SpecB tranny without issues.

^i think the suretrac is a helical where torsens are alittle different than a true helical diff. Ihve heard of some putting the suretrac in 05+ models becuase it was a better front diff.

Hmm. Pointer to a source or explaination why suretrac is better?

Since I'd be putting new diff, I have a choice, plus the price of suretrack and helical is the same.

EDIT: here is a very interesting writeup about Suretrac with pictures:

http://www.mycaterham.com/66828/117416.html?*session*id*key*=*session*id*val*

The author claims suretracs are not best for higher power levels. Not sure if it's true, but with alleged better longevity of helical units I'll stick to 05+ sti unit...

IMO the helical is the way to go. on nasioc.com in my diff research, i though i read some where that helical or suretrac diffs are better than torsen diffs but i dont know if i can find that thread again, or even tell if its true. have see what the difference is between a torsen and helical ATB diff.

Archived