LegacyGT.com

So I just picked up one of these....Subaru Front LSD

whitetiger

I bought my SpecB tranny almost new from a race shop. One time deal. I got the front lsd installed by Rallispec in NJ.

It's less than 2200 rpm at 60 mph. And like 3000 rpm or so at 80 mph.

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So do front and rear LSD's from a 2004 STi fit our 5MT transmission ? Perhaps the rear one I imagine ?

Front no.

04-05 STI rear diff has 3.90 final ratio so it theory could be mated to 07+ LGT 5MT, which also has 3.90 ratio, unlike 05-06 LGT which has 4.11.

Other years won't.

Is there an OEM Subaru front LSD that fits our cars ? I imagine now, I will have to get everything aftermarket.

You don't read answers you were already given?

Front no.

04-05 STI rear diff has 3.90 final ratio so it theory could be mated to 07+ LGT 5MT, which also has 3.90 ratio, unlike 05-06 LGT which has 4.11.

Other years won't.

If they make a 4.11 ring and pinion for the r180, then it can be put on a 05-06 LGT too.

If they make a 4.11 ring and pinion for the r180, then it can be put on a 05-06 LGT too.

I don't think so. R180 come only in 3.54, 3.9 and 4.44 afaik. Well, on Subarus at least. Maybe some Nissan R180 applications use 4.11.

What's your take on having VC Center and rear diffs but a helical front? I don't have any concrete reasoning but it just "feels" wrong.

I love the idea of the Cusco 65/35 center diff (no LSD though :() and helical front/clutch rear, or even full 6MT swap similar to Gator GT's setup. Mucho dinero either way...

What's your take on having VC Center and rear diffs but a helical front? I don't have any concrete reasoning but it just "feels" wrong.

I love the idea of the Cusco 65/35 center diff (no LSD though :() and helical front/clutch rear, or even full 6MT swap similar to Gator GT's setup. Mucho dinero either way...

right now, thats what i have. helical front VC center and rear. It feel slot better than a open front but ther is room for improvement. the cusco tarmac diff is nice if the car never sees foul weather, but in my case as with most others, a helical center will be better. the choice of clutch or helical for the rear reall all depends on application. Generally, a helical is more daily driver friendly, but a clutch can be more fun. ;)

Thanks. Ok, for whoever wants this: 2004 STI LSDs for sale cheap. I will keep looking.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1694033

Is there an OEM Subaru front LSD that fits our cars ? I imagine now, I will have to get everything aftermarket.

I've been looking at this one. I called and they have an application for our cars (5MT). Check it out.

http://www.teammfactory.com/products.php?category=Helical%20LSD

• 2 weeks later...
I dont, but it looked different than the one you linked to. I think the 99 sti ra one is a suretrak diff. the one i installed is a helical gear type diff. the one i put in has little gear teeth sticking out all over the place.

93turbo, look up the 04 USDM STi front LSD and see what that one looks like. I've got a helical type as well for my front LSD.
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

ok, Ive now autoxed 2 events with r-comps now with this new diff. It is amazing. I cannot believe how early i can get on the power now during the event. the car is a traction monster. Best mod i ever did was to add this Diff.

yeah, I just got my summers on and am very much looking forward to another summer with the 3 LSDs....I'm glad other Legacy owners have jumped on this mod,....once you have it, you'll never want to go back.
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

Okay - I'm too tired to look it up but does the stock LGT 5MT have male or female axles? What about the STI/Spec B 6MT? Uncle? Anyone?
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived