LegacyGT.com

Gauging interest: Regular Guy lowering springs for 05-08 Legacy GT and Spec-Biz

RaceComp Engineering

Add another one who is interested. Since I decided to keep this car and not go with a new sti, I began to really look on a set of springs for my spec B. I narrowed it down to swifts and STi pinks. The swifts might win since the GB has them almost $150 less then pinks. But after reading all the reviews, these two springs work perfectly with my stock struts. I might wait out another few weeks to see if you guys come out with anything.

Color, I really don't care. My struts are bright yellow, not like black springs are gonna hide anything. LOL

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will also be interested in a set of these springs for my SpecB. I like the fact they will not drop the car down into the weeds and make it impossible to navigate the lovely PA roads.

While I really cant complain about the handling of the Spec, the only thing I haven't gotten used to is the body roll, I guess I am used to my WRX with the full Spec-C setup. Will these springs help with that at all or is this a sway bar issue?

I really like the regular guy spring color, it almost matches my Spec ;)

As I have just recently bought a pair of pinks I'm not DIRECTLY interested, but would have been just to give you some feedback. I was looking for an increase in handling with minimal drop, and not going to the stock Spec B route (though was possible). So for right now I'm content, but for the future it could be a possibility.

I have a 2005 GT Limited wagon. I'm looking for a Bilstein setup with springs that doesn't lower the car but gives me greater handling like the Japanese Bilstein suspension does. I was looking into Spec B wagon springs with a Spec B wagon Bilstein strut. Something similar would be nice. How does this compare to what you are thinking (minus the springs of course)

From the Short Review on Bilstein HDs and Swift Springs Combo thread

http://www.5-starperformance.com/servlet/the-987/Bilstein-Legacy-GT-Suspension/Detail

I second the vote for this idea. I considered sourcing JDM Spec B RevC Wagon springs, but they were going to be close to $500 delivered.

I like what you've discussed earlier in the thread, Myles. I would be interested in a good set of springs that mate up with the Tokico HTS (and/or Konis/Bil HDs), that can improve the actual suspension performance of the car without the drop, or with a very minor drop (<= .5in).

My current Cobb springs are just too low, and while the car handles well due to the lack of front/rear pitching on accel and braking, and doesn't really roll to the side much at all, it just doesn't seem like the excessive amount of lowering was necessary to do all this if the strut/spring combo were simply better designed.

Well I'm a definite, dude. I waited forever to get the P1s, and painstakingly sold them with the RS. To have a spring that would serve a similar purpose, but for the LGT?

Yeah, that spring's got Siper2 written all over it. :)

Just curious what would be the estimated price for these springs?

Keep it coming guys. After a short time I will ask you guys who are VERY interested, to email us so we have a "real list" of who is "in". At that point I would do a prototype and everyone judge on ride height etc. I would need to do 25 to make this happen.

Myles

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

Myles - You can put be down to the "definitely interested" category for you prototyping it on my car. I will happily drive down multiple weekends in a row if the end result is a free prototype installed. Bwahaha :)

And my commute back to PA is fantastic for road-testing....tons of twisty backroads.

:)

I have to say I'd be serious (as a buyer) once you guys could comment on what struts they would pair up with and how they'd do on stock struts.

Joe

I would be willing to test fit them on Konis, if you decide to support that strut. Wouldn't be able to install them until November at the earliest, and once winter hits, probably not till March/April. I'm sure you guys will need some time to design and gear up a prototype run anyways.

Still leaning towards the T1's though... :)

P.S. 10kmi on my setup and still no problems with the tophats! ;)

That is the conclusion I've come to. Based on my measurements in this post (in the thread I linked to in post#5) I'm sitting -2.13"F/-1.5"R on swifts. My guess is that the swifts were designed for the JDM market (rationale in that same post) and when paired with the spec.b tophats, you would be closer to -1.75"F/-1.5"R.

The forward rake is nice and doesn't look drastic since the wheel gap is even all-around. However, if RCE believes that you get better handling out of a near stock-height setup, along with the comfort and bump travel, then I would consider making the switch.

I'd like to have a little bit of a drop, just enough to give a nice even wheel gap all the way around. Stock, of course, has a lot directly above the tire.

I'm thinking a 1" drop or a little less would be right on the money!

I'd like to have a little bit of a drop, just enough to give a nice even wheel gap all the way around. Stock, of course, has a lot directly above the tire.

I'm thinking a 1" drop or a little less would be right on the money!

Aren't there already multiple aftermarket springs that offer a 1" drop? That is a fairly significant reduction in ride height.

Aren't there already multiple aftermarket springs that offer a 1" drop? That is a fairly significant reduction in ride height.

That's why I said "or a little less." Most of the springs that claim 1" are actually more like 1.5" anyway.

Swift claims a pretty mild drop, and I suppose it is, compared to a slammed look... but they're still pretty low for my taste.

I've read multiple accounts that say that lowering the LGT much more than stock height (which I assume is 1" or more) is a sure way to lose actual handling capability.

Not linking any information right now, but that leads me to believe a .5"-.75" inch is really the most I would want to go down that road....

Joe

P.s. I might be a good candidate for testing the springs on stock struts, since I have no plan on switching stock struts for another 30,000-40,000 miles or more (I'm at 9,000 miles at the moment).

I'm not sure if I buy that. :) The part about lowering, I mean.

If a car is lowered PROPERLY, there shouldn't be any problems. Meaning a good, quality suspension, with a proper alignment afterwards. Of course I'm generalizing, but people lower exotics... don't see why the Legacy would be any different. :)

I'm no expert, but generally speaking the more travel the shock has to work with the better. putting a shorter spring on means the shock has less travel to do it's job. some shocks can handle this better than others. a good coil-over like the KWs can provide the same or more travel than stock and lower the car. but working with stock size struts is more limited.

Right, but that's why I said to go with a good setup. A specifically-engineered spring will not stress out your struts, regardless what type you use. RCE is definitely in that boat. :D

For the record, I want a very mild drop, as previously stated. I just would like to even out the wheel gap. That wouldn't take much; again, an inch TOPS. Probably less.

^ In my opinion, the only properly engineered suspension past a certain drop is going to be coilovers. Especially for the legacy. ;)

With springs, you're going to have consequences no matter what when you pass that point. You can make some compromises, but that's just the way it is for the Legacy since travel is not the most abundant resource.

- Andrew

Archived