LegacyGT.com

Gauging interest: Regular Guy lowering springs for 05-08 Legacy GT and Spec-Biz

RaceComp Engineering

this is a semi-hijack but has some connection to the topic:

is it possible to even out the slant when using pinks? I just bought a set, and while I won't mind the slant I'm just wondering if there's anything you can do to raise up the rear end? i'll be putting them on with Bilstein HD's.

Then, is it safe to mix springs? I.E. pinks in front and the RCE minimal drop in rear? or would that look / combine funny? on weekends I tend to hang out with people and especially in the winter I'll be driving with a full load of gear (snowboards/skis/gear) and people in my car.

I'm leaving the stock suspension setup for this winter and waiting to try them out till early next spring, anyway. I'd definitely be interested in the spring setup still, but my interest isn't for a little while....

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Myles - You've got mail.

snow05gtRI - Search for posts by sactojesse (I think). I believe he has mixed and matched springs to get rid if the saggy look. Also, as NSFW has mentioned, Paranoid Fabrications is making plates for the rear end to "lift" it a bit to get rid of the sag.

Cheers!

Email's on the way, Myles. :) If anyone's curious, 10mm looks like about 0.39" on the drop. Of course that's not exact since we don't even have the spring yet.

I know what you mean about a full tank of gas, and passengers in the rear. You want to see a squat stance? I once had my wife in the front, her three sisters in the back, and a trunk full of stuff.... in my old RS. With an STi V5 suspension. On a 9-hour road trip. Each way. :lol:

It scraped like hell, until you got rolling.

i just checked and it looks like paranoid fabrications has the legacy spacers for sale on their website. I may end up picking up a pair when i finally install my springs/shocks. just gotta determine how big of a spacer is necessary to even out the gap...

http://www.camotoy.com/products/saggybutt/index.php

So you either need a FIRM linear rear spring like coilovers OR, just dont lower it much. The front is not much better.

How would you guys feel about keeping the stock rear height, and only lowering the front? Have a look at this guy's car, with stock rears and H-Tech fronts:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84962

Looks just right, but I'd rather have stiffer-than-stock rears.

If that's what you're going to produce, I'm interested.

I like the HD's much more than the Spec-B Billies, but thats me.

Mw

Doi-sta ano (why is that)?

Ideal setup for me would be a set of HP springs that don't drop the car so much that it takes up the majority of the Bilstein compression stroke to the point that you're on the bump stops more often than not, i.e. Swifts Sport Springs, are somewhere between the Swifts and the Pinks in terms of stiffness, and don't require a roll center kit to compensate for the "drop".

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Doi-sta ano (why is that)?

Ideal setup for me would be a set of HP springs that don't drop the car so much that it takes up the majority of the Bilstein compression stroke to the point that you're on the bump stops more often than not, i.e. Swifts Sport Springs, are somewhere between the Swifts and the Pinks in terms of stiffness, and don't require a roll center kit to compensate for the "drop".

Sounds good. :)

We have a good thread on RS25 about bump stop issues on the Impreza. Seems that I was likely riding around on mine most of the time in my old RS with the STi suspension, even though it was a matched set! Crazy. :)

(What's funny is the old Prodrive WR suspension kit had shorter bumpstops, to go with the improved dampening in the struts (Bilstein, vs. STi's KYB). Those stinking smart engineers at Prodrive had it figured out, years ago!!!)

RCE/Myles -

Do you foresee any problems running these with a 225/45/17 setup? I figure not, but just wanted to check as you have better foresight than I do :)

It's not a dealbreaker either way (yes or no, or whether I'd even go with that tire size)

• 2 weeks later...

Not enough actual interest. The issue becomes like always, the fact that there is a wagon, and or automatic and 5 and 6 speeds. There is also many shock option. This isnt you guy's fault, its just there are only a certain # of cars out there and a certain # of owners who are on the boards and then a certain # who still need or care about making an upgrade. We havent given up, but its going to take time and "time" always means a lack of interest sometimes and or things change. So we have to see what happens.

Myles

Myles,

The better answer would've been "Well, since there is SOOO much interest, we're securing a special Unobtanium metal to make the springs out of.....they will weigh .5 pound each and work perfectly with any top hat and strut combination. But the mining of unobtanium takes awhile."

:)

Joe

Did you specify what the rates and drops would be, or did I miss that post? I won't know if I'm interested until I know what you have to offer.

Not specifically, no. But since they're Regular Guy springs, the goal is minimal drop, and a mild rate increase. My guess is that the rate may feel similar to the STi Pinks, if a little softer. Just a hunch.

I take it that "regular guys" aren't interested in committing to as-yet-not-in-production springs with no promise what the rate will be, or what the drop will be, or what the price will be.

Myles, has this approach worked well in the past?

Archived