LegacyGT.com

Gas Prices...what's your breaking point?

You wimps.

Gas here is already 5.00 per gallon. Economists predict 5.65 per gallon by the summer time.

Summer's here in 2 months!!!!!1

I take pride in knowing my LGT gets beter mileage than my wife's minivan. What pigs those Caravans are...

it have the 3.5 or the 3.2 (maybe its 3.3)

I had two lHS one the old body style (like the newyorker with the smaller engine and a 99 with the 3.5) both engines didnt to great on MPG but were pretty reliable...

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Getting approx 20mpg now is a huge improvement over my last vehicle, my 01 Dakota r/t with a 5.9 v8 that I got about 10mpg if that was bad. Gas is a living expense that I'm prepared to pay for, its not like everyone else doesn't have to pay the same thing, oh well, nothing I can do myself to drastically change it. Just chalking it up on the "oh well" board. I'm gonna drive my car the way I enjoy driving it and pay the price to do so.

You can't attack the oil companies because that would be attacking capitalism, plus they would just pass on the charge to consumers. Instead the only way we can make a differences is to all collectively "act locally" meaning reduce your own demand and oil needs. If we had the average fleet mpg of Japan or Europe (which are higher today than what the US is suppose to be 2015) we wouldn't be as vulnerable. Japan and Europe seem to be able to maintain relatively high (sometimes higher) standards of living why can't we?

I also want to add in general terms, they drive less over there as well. Their houses and appliances, although smaller for most, are generally more energy efficient. In pure money terms, their standard of living isn't better. Basic items cost more and they make less money on the average. In other intangibles of standard of living, they seem content. This what I don't understand.

Here in northern CA, theres a gas station off highway 80 in Colfax that I used to visit frequently, as it's right in the middle of my daily commute. It's always a little bit more expensive, but it was worth it for convenience.

As of today, gas at the Chevron in Colfax, CA is $4.37/gallon for 91 octane. Needless to say, I don't buy gas there anymore, especially since I can save nearly $.30 and buy it 10 miles down the freeway.

Do the gas prices suck? Yeah. But during the last gas crisis (couple years ago when we freaked about $3.65!) I accepted that there is close to nothing I can do about it. Sure I can buy a more economical car, and honestly I probably will (been drooling over a Mini Clubman!!). But gas will continue to go up, and my $60 tank will soon become a $100 tank. It's the way it is, and unfortunately we're not ready to live without using gas, so until then there's not a lot we can do.

I know that gas station well. I spent 22+ years living in Grass Valley...but alas, I'm living in Sacramento now. I used to commute for many years from GV to Folsom which is a good 45 miles each way. If I still had to make that commute now, there is no way I'd be driving my Legacy. Not just for the gas but the depreciation. I put 110,000 on a car in 3 years using the car for commuting and pleasure.

Then again, it's very possible I'm just talking out of my ass based on retarted information that I picked up :lol:

no, what you said makes a lot of sense. The US has classically been one of those nations that has no hesitation about running over people to get theirs.. like a fat guy getting off the bus at a free buffet. China's growth isnt going to slow down unfortunatley. Good for them, bad for us.. oh well... we'll survive or die trying.

I tell you all I TRIED MY BEST for the last 2 days to keep my foot out of it and I juts cant do it! my foot is magnetic! its like walking on the side of a spaceship in those movies..

However.. I did find a route home thats quicker, less miles, and a lot more fun so long as someone doesn't get in front of me. I turn the radio down to hear the tires :D its nice n twisty for a short bit.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I am actually selling my 04 M3 (I need a 4 door now ) and have been looking into a few options, the LGT Spec B, being one of them. The only FWD car that I will consider is the GTI, as it's quite roomy and the ideal car for NYC, especially given the price of petrol these days. That said, I prefer either RWD or AWD having had an Audi S4 (most unreliable car I've ever owned) and going from the power and handling of an M3, I thought perhaps I could get close to the handling and acceleration times (with some mods) with the LGT.

Well you'll be at least increasing your mpg if you go with the Legacy (17/24), but ofcourse the GTI would be much more fuel efficient especially in the city. Plus a new GTi has the 6speed DSG i believe if you want an automatic.

No breaking point here, I have 100 mile round trip to work. My GT get avg. 25mpg & it's paid for. It's still cheeper to gas the GT now. Then when you add up the old car payment + old gas price, when I bought my GT in Aug. of 05 = alot more $$$$. Off the top of my head, about $300 more.

Plus, 93 oct. is only .20 cents more then 87.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

http://money.aol.com/news/articles/_a/analyst-sees-oil-prices-reaching-200/20080506103909990001 Good article. I love it! I'm hoping oil prices keep rising, and rising, and rising. Because in the end, that'll help those of us who are financially stable and seeking greater investment opportunities.

yep so they can take anyone that is trying to get financially stable and throw them under the bus! ..............Super plan

you know theres been a lot of people thrown under the bus lately.. its eventually not going to be able to move. :lol:

I think these reports from the AP and other things about oil prices reaching $200 are a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy. The media reports this stuff to get public reaction, mainly viewers rivetted to their TVs/computers/newspapers trying to stay up to date on the latest "crisis" its doing nothing good for us!

Articles like this are the reason so many people have a negative outlook on our economy and as such the economy is going towards negative. Every evening news junkie I run into at a store (such as a home depot employee the other day) makes comments like "yea.. well its only gonna get worse" a negative attitude about all of this is only going to make the problem worse/bigger. The media LOVES to get a reaction, they're kind of like that guy you see in movies thats like "woa are you gonna take that from him?" cos he wants to see a fight.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I know that gas station well. I spent 22+ years living in Grass Valley...but alas, I'm living in Sacramento now. I used to commute for many years from GV to Folsom which is a good 45 miles each way. If I still had to make that commute now, there is no way I'd be driving my Legacy. Not just for the gas but the depreciation. I put 110,000 on a car in 3 years using the car for commuting and pleasure.

I hear ya. I've put almost 22,000 miles on my OBXT in the first year, and I don't see much of an end to the amount of my daily driving at least not for the next couple years.

While the gas mileage isn't great, on Highway 80 I can manage a solid 24 mpg, but then as soon as I get to the fun twisties between Colfax and Grass Valley, my avg goes down :lol:

I agree with others around here chalking it up on the "oh well" board. It is indeed a living expense, and as long as I can afford to pay it, I'm not going to change my ways (except maybe buy that nice British racing green Mini Clubman that's been screaming my name! :eek:)

you know theres been a lot of people thrown under the bus lately.. its eventually not going to be able to move. :lol:

I think these reports from the AP and other things about oil prices reaching $200 are a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy. The media reports this stuff to get public reaction, mainly viewers rivetted to their TVs/computers/newspapers trying to stay up to date on the latest "crisis" its doing nothing good for us!

Articles like this are the reason so many people have a negative outlook on our economy and as such the economy is going towards negative. Every evening news junkie I run into at a store (such as a home depot employee the other day) makes comments like "yea.. well its only gonna get worse" a negative attitude about all of this is only going to make the problem worse/bigger. The media LOVES to get a reaction, they're kind of like that guy you see in movies thats like "woa are you gonna take that from him?" cos he wants to see a fight.

The reason people hold a pessimist outlook is because WE are Americans too. We know how selfish, arrogant and ignorant we can be. We know that when a future disaster can be averted, most people rather have short term profits, instant gratification for doing little rather than making long term commitments to solving the sources of our problems.

I can't wait for the days of 4-cyl mustangs and the like again. As gas gets worse, less 'fast' and 'cool' cars will be made and bought, rewarding those of us that stick it out with having 'faster' cars. Well, the ability to go faster if we wanted to. Look at the American muscle before the first gas crunch, and how it died but was just starting to be rekindled before this set of price increases. The cars that are around now might be the pinnacle of performance for a long, long time.

And hopefully some of this will cut down on the disposable income of the local ricer population? And minimize police use of v-8 cruisers.

:lol: Are you for real? A negative attitude will only make it worse? How about, people getting in over their heads will make it worse? The market is very much in a reactionist state right now, with any sort of potentially positive information sending it spiraling upwards. Then the reality sets back in, and like today, Wednesday, it's down 200 points. This is not emotion - it's fact. And our fancy high gas prices, you can thank liberals and extreme environmentalists for lobbying to avoid domestic independence which includes building new refineries, increasing production, etc. :spin:

frankly.. I like everything you said. :lol:

the point I was trying to make tho.. is if people change their behavior because they think something bad will happen.. it will only make it that much more certain that it WILL happen.

for instance, if people are afraid our economy is tanking (whether it is or not this is a hypothetical) so they stop spending money.. the economy tanks.. the economy requires the circulation of money, even on needless and stupid purchases. Theres a lot of businesses that make stuff that I consider garbage, but if people stop buying that garbage the company is doomed unless they change products heh.

thats all I'm saying, a pre-conditioned mental attitude that things are going to be bad, alters behavior, and can make the event occur or make it worse.

As such, in regard to gas prices, dont panic and start hoarding it and filling up 50 gallon drums at the stations, cos then we'll have crazy high prices AND shortages. I think the media is trying to cause this level of panic because it makes great news for them. (sometimes the media reminds me of the villians on captain planet.. its like.. dont you live here too?)

The problem is that OPEC is not regulated. The gas industry is an oligopoly where in this situation it might as well be a monopoly the way gas companies are raising prices. Anyone at 4 dollars a gallon yet for premium?

I filled it up the other day with 4.17 a gallon (premium). Since, the prices have went up another 5. And I do not even fuel by my house but rather travel up a few (3) miles into the northern suburbs where it is cheaper because politically, I still live in the city - at the edge, but in the city, so we have higher prices.

is that full service? I think theres some states where the govt has regulated that full service is required.. I guess some govt bloating to create jobs at the price of the consumer's spending cash..

how can we regulate an organization that is in no way based in our country? also.. we DO get oil from sources other than opec members, so its not a total monopoly feed for our nation, they're just one of the biggest contender.

oh btw.. citgo is hugo chavez.. boycott them sumbiches. All the citgo stations here are doing poorly/changing suppliers. It seems to be a very popular thing here to boycott that guy.. but it may just be because people have more choices heh

Archived