LegacyGT.com

Gas Prices...what's your breaking point?

I say bring on high gas prices, it shall help increase and revive the Darwinian forces that technology has erased over time. Only those who can adapt will survive, if you can't oh well. Weed out the herd of those that are wasting resources.

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If people actually drove with intelligence your overall fuel economy will improve by at least 10% without needing to change your car, but more so your driving habits. Last year I averaged at most 27mpg, but now that I drive conservatively I've improved to above 30mpg on the same commutes (ofcourse I'm driving a 2.5i if you guy stayed out of boost you'd all be essentially driving N/As too).

Drive with intelligence? Huh, I might try that sometimes instead of my usual neanderthal attitude. Maybe if I stop drooling like a retard on the steering wheel will also help with the sticky .... steering wheel issue I've been having lately.

Just givin' you a hard time :)

Driving with intelligence you probably mean civil and restrained. I would characterize my driving style to be normal. My wife's automatic ZX3 Focus gets an average of 26mpg. I get 20-22. Do I regret those 4 extra mpg for the ballz this car has? Shit no.

I am not too concerned with mileage yet, my wife just got a job at the same place I work so we can potentiall carpool AND we will move somewhere closer too. So for my situation I think I am OK to go until gas hits ... who knows. 10 bucks?

Maybe in the next few years we will get some nice, spirited diesels that get 40+ mpg... That would at least give us some decent alternatives to the (likely) lower hybrids we have now. I guess we will be getting a couple of German diesels soon (Jetta, 3 series, C-class?), so its at least a start.

Obviously, the Legacy would be a nice option to have as well (damn you California, it is your fault right?).

Also, where the hell are the diesel hybrids? It seems a logical step... more efficient diesel + hybrid drivetrain = more efficient hybrid... right? I am curious if there is some technical issues associated with diesel's low rpms or something...

Tell me if I'm just being a whiner and having to much of a conscience, but I might be reaching my breaking point on continuing my relationship with my LGT because of the high gas prices. I live in CA, and have been paying right around $4.20 a gallon for crappy CA 91 oct for about a month now. Then, the local news ran a story last night with a hypothetical but very realistic sounding scenario where in 4 more years, we could be paying up to $7.00 a gallon for gas. :eek:

I love my car. Having been raised by gearheads, I have always been drawn to sports cars and my LGT fits that desire perfectly. But at what cost is it all worth it? With car payment, Cali insane insurance premiums, and now out of control gas prices with no signs of them ever coming down again (especially for poor quality 91 oct), I am looking at the damage to my wallet every month and starting to wonder if it is all worth it. I only use my car to commute to work and find it hard to find places and times when I can open the car up and truly enjoy it. I really want to just ignore how many fun tickets ($$) a month I spend on the car, but my conscience is beginning to get in the way. I can afford what I'm paying now but I could easily save myself $300 a month or more by getting rid of the car and going with a cheapo commuter.

If gas continues to rise, especially if it hits $7 a gallon, I don't see anyone continuing to drive large SUVs or high HP cars. I see the early eighties all over again with the only cars being gutless piles of junk with the only difference now being that there will be a bunch of hybrids thrown in the mix also. Is this the beginning of the end for fossil fuel burning cars? God I hope not. Will I break and dump my LGT for something more economical...the verdict is still out on that one.

:lol: you need one of these:

scooter1.jpg.e6f3990db92a2f94b835e0ed08b82aea.jpg

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

The largest cost is depreciation of a vehicle not fuel in car ownership. I have paid for my car and insurance is not terrible($500/year).

I plan on driving for the next 8 years no matter what fuel costs.

It's cheaper than Pepsi, it's cheaper than bottled water!! I realize that it is pricey, but there is no way that I would ever completely stop driving my car.

http://www.wisebread.com/why-is-gasoline-so-cheap-a-cost-comparison-of-40-common-household-liquids

With gasoline prices rising, finally we will have an economic reason to find renewable portable energy. Going green means nothing for most of society. It all comes down to money. Same reason most people shop at Wal-Mart. We NEED the price of gasoline to go up if anything is ever going to change.

By the time we are paying $20/gallon, car companies will have his 100 miles/gallon. Yay economics.

Yes, I'm ranting and I apologize. So to answer the original question, I'd pay > $25/gallon

:lol: you need one of these:

SOLD! (just kidding). I'm still solid for a while. Not bailing out of the LGT. Like I said, I can afford it, no problem. If gas hangs right where it is now, that is okay fine with me. I guess what is really hurting is where I live. California = piss poor 91 oct for $4.26 a gallon, retarded smog restrictions, and super high insurance. I think if I lived somewhere less restrictive and could get 93 oct for $3.50 a gallon, I'd be happier than a pig in sh*t.

I agree that once it gets near $7 a gallon, people will begin freaking out. I know right now some of the almighty politicians are considering dropping the federal gas tax and some states are also considering doing the same with local gas taxes. If so, that could translate into a $1-$2 per gallon savings at the pump. But I am also sure that those tax funds generate a large chunk o' change for uncle sam. I don't think they will part with it so easily.

And if gas went to $10 a gallon. No way would I fill up and not care. I couldn't just driving sparingly either. For me, I paid a good chunk of money for the car, upgrades, insurance, etc. To just let something sit there barely used that I have so much invested into doesn't seem like money wisely spent.

With gasoline prices rising, finally we will have an economic reason to find renewable portable energy. Going green means nothing for most of society. It all comes down to money. Same reason most people shop at Wal-Mart. We NEED the price of gasoline to go up if anything is ever going to change.

By the time we are paying $20/gallon, car companies will have his 100 miles/gallon. Yay economics.

Yes, I'm ranting and I apologize. So to answer the original question, I'd pay > $25/gallon

Yeah, but that change will also most certainly mean the end of gas engines altogether. They need a clean fuel source that will still yield a horsepower breathing yet sweet sounding motor. Otherwise, I'm afraid we'll all be driving little tree-hugging, silent electric motors. Booo!! Boring!

Forgot, premium here is from $3.60 up. I currently pay 3.80-3.90.

I don't have any expensive vices like a pack a day of cigarettes or a $6 morning mocha :)

Well, that'd still be cheaper in a week but you get the idea ;)

You know, pretty soon, when we get taunted at a stoplight by some domestic elitist with the typical "your car is a riceburner" or "that thing run on rice" at least we can come back with "well, rice IS cheaper than gas, so ..."

I DD my car for work and average 3-4 fill ups per week. I do get reimbursed completely for mileage which generally nets a profit for me when the expenses get paid out, but if this trend continues the way it is, there will be a certain point where the cost for fuel will overcome the expense reimbursments. When that day comes, I'll think about getting a different car. Until then, I'll continue to enjoy my time at work driving from place to place.

FYI bought the car in August 07' at 37,300 miles. I'm at 58,500 today!

21,200 in 8 Months!

Yeah, but that change will also most certainly mean the end of gas engines altogether. They need a clean fuel source that will still yield a horsepower breathing yet sweet sounding motor. Otherwise, I'm afraid we'll all be driving little tree-hugging, silent electric motors. Booo!! Boring!

Put this thing on your tesla and make it sound fun :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fake-Turbo-Sound-Whistler-BOV-Stock-Exhaust-All-CARS_W0QQitemZ370046783776QQihZ024QQcategoryZ50140QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Just kidding, I completely agree with you. I don't care about gasoline as much as I care about the freedom and the fun of driving. I can't live without it. I love the sound, but could do without it as long as I can still hear my tires slip when I take off from a stoplight.

I DD my car for work and average 3-4 fill ups per week. I do get reimbursed completely for mileage which generally nets a profit for me when the expenses get paid out, but if this trend continues the way it is, there will be a certain point where the cost for fuel will overcome the expense reimbursments. When that day comes, I'll think about getting a different car. Until then, I'll continue to enjoy my time at work driving from place to place.

FYI bought the car in August 07' at 37,300 miles. I'm at 58,500 today!

21,200 in 8 Months!

So YOU are the guy driving up and down Route 59 :lol:

Personally, I think anything over .99 cents per gallon for premium is recockulous. I'm sick of this crap. Subsidize already, sheesh. And since they tax gas already, I have an idea, why not use the money to impove the roads like it was ment for. Or better yet, get rid of it entierly, FOREVER!!

At least I could eat out of the vending machine at work for .25 cents... per item. Drinks too. I loved that job... :icon_cry:

Just think, more money for mods, YEAH!!

If I had something important to say, I wouldn't tell you anyway.

Archived