LegacyGT.com

Gas Prices...what's your breaking point?

I'm sorry knight, but you missed my point it sounds like. The point I was trying to make is that if we take an attitude that "you dont need that car" or "those people dont need that many vehicles" or "you should get rid of those old classics they guzzle gas" then we open ourselves up to regulation of the transportation industry.

public transit is a government owned and managed thing, its great, I'm not saying its not something that we should have or have an efficient and complete set (trying to take a stab at marta with its whole 2 lines :lol:) but simply put, if we rely on the government to move us about they will put us where they want us to be rather than where we want to go.

I think you interpreted my statements as a current status kind of thing, I was looking at projected trends with a continued mentality of regulation of justifiable transportation. I believe that vehicle ownership and the priviledge of driving DEFINES freedom of movement. Public transit doesn't go out to the farm lands, it doesn't go down the dirt trails, it doesn't go out to nature walks and up mountains.

We have seen (according to AP articles anyway) that despite these record prices that vacations are still taking place, people are still going to these destinations. I think its important that we maintain this throughout the fuel issues. Starting to regulate peoples driving is simply not the answer.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well to implement a government biased against SUVs (and other gas guzzlers) I believe higher gas guzzler taxes are needed NOW (not 2020 or whenever the new CAFE kicks in).

But I'm sure that will not be needed as $3.00+ gas becomes a norm and then fuel economy WILL become a top consideration for new car buyers. People are just going to have to learn the hard way since they take everything for granted (ie cheap gas/food). This learning process will weed out the people that actually need SUVs from those that bought them as a status symbol or from misconceptions.

If you live in a place with constant severe winter conditions, have a large family or need it to haul around alot of people or equipment for work, those will be the people that can justify keeping a SUV (on their own).

I live in coastal New England and my 2.5i AWD sedan has been more than enough to overcome blizzards here.

And I'm not arguing that everyone drive the same car (ie a Subaru), I just hope that as the SUV market collapses, automakers will start to offer many more varieties/trims/models for sedans/compact cars to the degree that Europe/Asia has. In Europe for example many small compact cars come with the same luxuries that in America are only alloted for midsize/large-sedans.

"driving is a priviledge not a right."

driving is a privilege

That's a common misunderstanding. Driver's licenses are in fact not a privilege, but rather a protected property right subject to the constitutional protection of Due Process Clause in the 14th Amendment.

If it was a privilege, the government could revoke or limit it at any time. Because it's a constitutionally protected right, any attempt to revoke or limit one's license to drive is guaranteed some degree of procedural due process.

driving is a privilege. u don't need to drive.

Nice of you to judge.

I used to live in Somerville and commute to Boston via subway -- till my work involuntarily relocated me to New Hampshire. Don't get me wrong, I hated living in Boston and love it up here, but you must drive if you want to get anywhere. My workplace is an industrial park off a highway exit with woods surrounding. Same situation for many people throughout suburban/rural US.

I just saw 4.13/gal for 93 oct this morning, last week i only paid 3.92/gal. And when I saw the prices, oil didnt even hit its 126 high yet. I bet Ill see like 4.25/gal tommow morning.

Looks like I hit my breaking point, when the AP gets back from COBB its Econ mode time combined with I mode in SI drive

I've hit my breaking point....................
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

:lol::lol:

I bought an engine for my project truck a few years ago and found one of those things in the air intake. I sold it for $35.. money back is money back :)

why do automakers commercials say "EM PEE GEE" now instead of miles per gallon anyway?

according to my instant mpg meter thing, to get 47mpg I would have to drive on a perfectly flat road pretty much with no throttle. Last week was 19.5 at fillup, this was w/o topping 2500 rpm on average, there was a few 3ks but I tried.. I had people treating me like trash on the road for being so slow tho..

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I bought this little Vortex thingy off ebay and now my 2.5i gets 47MPG

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/437828/2/istockphoto_437828_giant_smiley_big_smile.jpg

just got 93 at stop and shop gas for $3.80

damn thats cheap. I just drove by gas station and its $4.17 for 93oct. And I live in the suburbs where its usually 20-30c cheaper than in the city.

damn thats cheap. I just drove by gas station and its $4.17 for 93oct. And I live in the suburbs where its usually 20-30c cheaper than in the city.

Im at college in RI but as i will be graduating im scared to go back to CT... S&S gas is cheap as is, then with your card you get 5 cents off 87 and 89 and 10 cents of 93

this thread was getting a little depressing so I had to throw some BS in there...

I thoroughly enjoyed :lol:

I found this cool map of the US that shows how much people are paying on average by colorcoded counties . http://newhavengasprices.com/price_by_county.aspx

Thats pretty nifty, I wonder what makes souther arizona and wyoming so special :confused:

lol

I wonder if we overlap that map with concentration of environmentalists if we see a correlation. I'd imagine these prices are almost directly related to environmental regulation.

At the same time, cost of living would also be an interesting overlay, as well as political spectrum. Employment/industry type, and population density.

if I werent about to die of allergies right now I'd look closer.

Archived