LegacyGT.com

Gas Prices...what's your breaking point?

We should be thinking about the real price of gas, not the nominal price. "How many miles can I drive on one hour's salary?" After working one hour in my case, I could drive 100 miles in 1996, 200 miles in 2000, and 275 miles in 2008. By this measure, gas will have to cost over $10/gallon for me to 'feel' like I'm back in 1996.

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whatever makes you all sleep better at night haha.... bottom line is we're all getting screwed and there is nothing we can do about it :) So grab your ankles and take it. All these excuses as to why the cost of gas isn't hurting you is crap really. When I got my license it was about $1.40 per gallon and 20 bucks would fill my tank. So for $40 bucks a week I could be commuting my 25 miles one way to work and have plenty of gas to travel to wherever I want. Now it costs me $70 per week and I have to plan out my little vacations because it could easily turn into $100 per week. Think of the toys you could purchase if you weren't spending this extra $120+ every month. Or how much faster your legacy would be paid off

It's $2nz/Litre here for 'Premium' (98 RON) That's about $6us/gal. I commute in my mums mirage now, which only uses 91 RON, and uses literally half the gas. When you drive 60 miles a day at least, it makes a big difference...

Whatever makes you all sleep better at night haha.... bottom line is we're all getting screwed and there is nothing we can do about it :) So grab your ankles and take it. All these excuses as to why the cost of gas isn't hurting you is crap really. When I got my license it was about $1.40 per gallon and 20 bucks would fill my tank. So for $40 bucks a week I could be commuting my 25 miles one way to work and have plenty of gas to travel to wherever I want. Now it costs me $70 per week and I have to plan out my little vacations because it could easily turn into $100 per week. Think of the toys you could purchase if you weren't spending this extra $120+ every month. Or how much faster your legacy would be paid off

whats that have to do with the price of rice in china?.... oh wait..

Unfortunatley, we're in a bit of a loop with oil demand rising in developing nations because americans want cheap goods and american workers want high pay retirement and benefits. Not to say thats immoral or wrong in any way, but thats one factor. I heard on the news this morning at least in ATL that the rise in prices has peaked. But all it will take is Iranian or Venezualan (sp) leaders to say ANYTHING AT ALL and the prices will go back up again. Or should I say, all it will take is the media to carry the message of these leaders. The media in this country is just having a ball stirring the pudding these days.

I agree with you tho, there's really nothing we can do about it for now, theres no reason to go out head hunting or grabbing pitchforks and torches , we'll just have to wait for the squeeze to find a market solution. Hopefully an actually viable one thats not going to starve half the world and use more oil than gas itself.

On this note however, this morning I tried as hard as I could to get to work w/o topping 2500 rpm. It worked ok.. keeping my foot out of it is really hard lol.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

So, so true bro! I remember gas @ .97cents a gallon :spin:

I hear that the CEO of Exxon has so much money that even if he dies, his grand-kids cannot even spend the "$$$" he has.:eek:

Like we're really running low and $hit! I say; dig in ALASKA! ;) --- Or --- we need to get some other competitors out here that's in the oil business so we can get some out bidding to the competition. I hate Monopoly!

LOL :D Yeah if you think its not affecting you you're either really bad at the math or you're in denial. The speed of the rise has been the real damaging thing. If this had happened over a 30 year period America would probably have handled it better.

Just talked to the father-in-law on the phone yesterday, he's in Euroland. Gas hit 2 Euros a litre in some places, it's mostly at around 1.5 Euros/litre. A litre is roughly a quart. 2 Euros is about 60 thousand US dollars? :D

I bought a motorcycle. It takes 87 octane gas, is faster than my car, and costs me next to nothing to fill. On days where it's crappy outside, I take the bus (work pays for a bus pass and also pays me $1 per day I ride the bus).

50mpg rules.

I must say I commend all of you who are taking sacrifices to reduce the demand of gas thereby if anything slowing the growth rate of what we pay at the pump. For those of us who are unwilling or unable in any practical sense to take alternatives to the long lonely commute, you are really helping out.

In my last job we had a van pool and I loved it, but I pretty much live half my commute away from everyone else I work with so that's not happening here, and last time I checked the park N ride doesn't stop in this obscure little business center.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Gas price won't go down due to decreased demand.

I wish I was responsible enough for a motorcycle.

I'm trying to convince my wife to get a Yaris as her next car. As it stands, she's in love with the Golf and Mini.

Gas price won't go down due to decreased demand.

I wish I was responsible enough for a motorcycle.

I'm trying to convince my wife to get a Yaris as her next car. As it stands, she's in love with the Golf and Mini.

All three of those choices are economical, though ofcourse the Golf and Mini compromise some mpgs for added safety/performance/luxury.

prices wont go down as demand goes down? I'm curious to know why you think that. Why have gas prices gone up? Is demand not a factor in that at all either? China.. India, and all the crap we import from them have nothing to do with it? I'm not trying to be rude or anything but I'm just curious your perspective on this.

I suppose they could use the mafia tactics like diamond mines do to keep demand high by cutting back on supply, but is that where you're going with that? I mean the dems are breathing down the necks of big oil now, if they start doing that hillary will turn green and rip them in half at the belt line.

If demand goes down, profit margins also go down. Gues what's going to have to happen? Prices won't go down to stimulate purchasing because guess what. Exxon doesn't give a shit. If you don't buy, they'll happily sell to the Chinese. There are certainly a lot of theories floating around, some solid, others not so much, in regards to the price going up. Oil harder to get? Our consumption might go down but don't forget that the price of oil is not an American market, but a world market. You pretty much answered your own question: China and India.

As easily available fields of crude oil are drying up, we will have to invest more money into refining hard to get oil, which is a lot more expensive. It's one thing to stick a shaft in your backyard and another to suck up oil out of porous rock.

Fuel efficiency is only part of the answer. The other part is to do away completely with the reliance of the world-market of oil.

If I remember correctly the profit margin is not even that big for oil companies, somewhere as little as under 10%. Taxes is what really drives the price up. How else do you explain that gas here is less than a buck a quart and in Europe is over 2 bucks a quart when it's coming from the same damn source?

All three of those choices are economical, though ofcourse the Golf and Mini compromise some mpgs for added safety/performance/luxury.

I dunno about luxury and Mini in the same sentence though. Last model I ever touched and test drove was a 2002, have they changed anything since then in terms of interior build materials? Because otherwise our LGTs are worlds above it. I might be becoming an elitist asshole but I say "no thanks" to painted brushed aluminium plastics all over the place and/or hard plastics. Yes, we have "brushed aluminium" in the LGT, but not as much. The Golf is nice though.

Archived