LegacyGT.com

The Official Tuning Thread

Infamous1

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
i have a 2005 subaru legacy gt, heres the mods, k&n typhoon intake with mafs, x02 cat back 3" dual exhaust, turbo turned up to 14psi, stage 2 clutch, aluminum flywheel, heres my problem the cats are all punched so my o2s go off, when i clear the codes the car spits and sputters and shuts off while driving and dosent idle right etc. also whenever its running fine my rpms between 2-4000 are spuddery u could say. so iam guessing its a tuning problem with the ecu right? if so im gonna have to get it on the dyno then get my buddy to hook his laptop up to it?

i have a 2005 subaru legacy gt, heres the mods, k&n typhoon intake with mafs, x02 cat back 3" dual exhaust, turbo turned up to 14psi, stage 2 clutch, aluminum flywheel, heres my problem the cats are all punched so my o2s go off, when i clear the codes the car spits and sputters and shuts off while driving and dosent idle right etc. also whenever its running fine my rpms between 2-4000 are spuddery u could say. so iam guessing its a tuning problem with the ecu right? if so im gonna have to get it on the dyno then get my buddy to hook his laptop up to it?

Sounds like you have a lot to learn about tuning... Our turbos run 14 psi stock. Do yourself a favor and take the typhoon intake off and replace the factory airbox and snorkel. The factory intake is proven to be effective and non-restrictive to around 400whp. Your ecu is scaled to the stock intake and is probably causing all your problems. Try this and see. And do LOTS of reading before swapping out parts on the fly. That's what we're here for.

The factory intake is proven to be effective and non-restrictive to around 400whp.

This is definately not true, it will maxed its self out voltage wise in the 310-320whp range. But I agree with everything else for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think it's worth it, even if it really can do what they claim. Hardware-based tuning tools like those are not cost-effective for modern Subarus. Our ECUs have been reverse engineered pretty thoroughly by hobbyists, and they can be retuned with inexpensive hardware and free software.

And with that system, you'll be dependent on that one company to make time for you every time you need to retune for a new upgrade (turbo, exhaust, whatever). Whereas with EcuFlash (or Cobb's AccessPort) there are a ton of tuners out there to choose from.

Hey guys, this is actually my first post on this forum. I'm relatively new to turbo powertrains/tuning but fairly knowledgeable about most engine related things.

My question is about the COBB AP. I know that they offer their own maps (valet, 91 octane, 93 octane, economy) and that their stage 2 is tuned for a TBE only. I'm wondering if any shops have duplicated maps such as these for cars that have a full exhaust, IC, turbo, or anything that the AP does not support. I think that it would boil down to whether the AP can be used to store custom maps (as opposed to only being able to store COBB maps) or if when going the protune route, it is used only as a device to load the maps onto the car.

I see one of the benefits of just going COBB stage 2 as having a variety of different maps to choose from, but I thought that one would lose that flexibility if they chose to go with a protune. Does anyone have similar maps that they are able to choose from? Have any tuners loaded corresponding maps onto an AP?

I have not bought a Legacy GT yet, but am beginning to shop around. My question stems from a friend who has a 93 octane map on his Audi A4 and had to drive 25 miles, essentially running on fumes, to find 93 octane since he couldn't switch maps on the fly.

the AP can store the protune map and the COBB maps, and you can switch back and forth as far as I know. Also, the V2 has a feature that you can use to retard the timing on your protune map a few degrees across the board in case of bad gas or the inability to find 93.

protuners have maps that they start with, but tweak for each car. as far as just getting someone elses protune map, not really possible because tuners lock their maps with PINs so they can't be "stolen"

• 4 weeks later...

Here is what I'm installing:

BNR HTA68

AVO IWG actuator

850cc witch hunter injectors

walbro fuel pump

grimmspeed EBCS

IPR TMIC

STi uppipe

autospeed downpipe

magnaflow catback

93 octane OS tune from shamar

I need advice on the following (need Shamar's input)

Intake - planning a KStech 73mm w/heat shield

BOV - GFB 50/50, cobb xle 50/50 or forge full recirc? I like the option of the 50/50, for the sound if wanted :). Can the same tune run full recirc or 50/50?

turbo inlet - GMS or perrin?

is the K&N large enough diameter if i switch to E85 in the future? I've heard of other running out of range with this intake and thats why I was leaning toward the KStech. I don't plan on E85 initially because there isn't much available near me, but you never know :) so I'm just trying to be as well prepared as possible and not have to change parts/tunes a whole bunch :lol:

Archived