LegacyGT.com

The Official Tuning Thread

Infamous1

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

I recently bought a 1991 legacy turbo 5spd. My first subbie. The previous owner installed/did the following:

-enclosed block 2.2 bored out to 2.4

-replaced all exhaust valves and lapped injectors

-04' WRX turbo

-06' WRX top mount intercooler

-excedy clutch

-Manual boost controller (@11psi)

-Turbo back exhaust venting to atmosphere

All of these additions have around 5,000 miles.

The problem I am having is that the engine/clutch slips when driven hard in top gears. 1st and 2nd pull strong, but I drive like my grandfather above that.

I find it hard to believe that this racing clutch is already busted, but I cant think of any other causes. If you guys have any suggestions for the slipping, or any other mods that might help my performance, please let me know

Thanks

Probably referring to the linkage between the clutch pedal and the throw-out bearing inside the clutch housing. I can kinda see how that would prevent the clutch from engaging fully, if it's out of adjustment. I'm completely unfamiliar with 1991s, but it couldn't hurt to look at the mechanical connection between the pedal the and the tranny, and look for obvious signs of adjustability. May need to put the car up on jack stands to get at it.

word em up, ill look in to that. I hope its not an expensive fix, like a full clutch replacement. I was wondering if the added power from the mods is affecting a stock part left on the car; Like maybe a flywheel or something. Im really not that knowledgable about issues like this.

I'm trying to do a little tuning myself right now. Currently I'm just tweaking my protuned map for practice. How do you adjust the parameters safely around tuning boost? For example, if I lower boost a little all around, is there anything else I would need to change?

Im trying to taper boost more and add a little bit of timing, but is there anything else i need to do? Remember it is an already protuned map

Waste Gate Duty Cycle is the other parameter that will control boost. Basically(not always) if you want lower boost; you will lower the boost target and then gradually lower the WGDC until logged boost matches target boost. So if you lower target boost by 1 psi in a given rpm range you will probably also need to lower WGDC until you hit your desired boost and don't overshoot it. At that point you would then be able to increase the timing by 1/2 degree increments until you get knock in that range and then back it down again until it runs clean.

I'm trying to do a little tuning myself right now. Currently I'm just tweaking my protuned map for practice. How do you adjust the parameters safely around tuning boost? For example, if I lower boost a little all around, is there anything else I would need to change?

Im trying to taper boost more and add a little bit of timing, but is there anything else i need to do? Remember it is an already protuned map

Let's kick this pig!

New guy here, so i have a question. I asked my local tuning shop what I can do within reason $$$ to get a bit more out of my 05 gt wagon. He said about 3 hours of his time with my ECU could reveal a more drivable character out of the car. Adding boost, smoothing out some other things, and getting rid of the hiccup in the middle of the rpm's. Does that sound legitimate? I really don't want to start bolting on parts, so this sounds interesting if it truly can add a bit the car. Thoughts or input?

New guy here, so i have a question. I asked my local tuning shop what I can do within reason $$$ to get a bit more out of my 05 gt wagon. He said about 3 hours of his time with my ECU could reveal a more drivable character out of the car. Adding boost, smoothing out some other things, and getting rid of the hiccup in the middle of the rpm's. Does that sound legitimate? I really don't want to start bolting on parts, so this sounds interesting if it truly can add a bit the car. Thoughts or input?

Yes, sounds like your typical stg 1 tune. Depending on how much he is charging you it may be worth it.

He said it was in the $50 to $60 and hour range. That seems worth it to me. What kind of outcomes have you seen in your experience with these stage 1 tunes? Just want to get and idea of what to really expect (assuming it is done right of course).

Good pricing, typical results are in the 15-25whp range.

Sorry for dumbing down the thread, but what good would an SPT intake do for a car about to get a stage 1 tune. Is the money worth it just for the noise it makes, or are there measurable gains?

It'll do more harm than good. Search for threads on the SPT intake, it has serious design flaws.

• 1 month later...

I must admit I haven't done a pump-only upgrade, but I see no reason why a tune would be needed. A new pump adds extra capacity, but the fuel pressure regulator ensures that the injectors still see the same pressure. Our fuel systems have return lines, so unused fuel is constantly being pumped past the injectors and back into the tank, even with the stock pump.

If I'm mistaken, and you have a Tactrix OpenPort, I'll take care of the problem for you. :) But I'm sure there won't be a problem.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Okay. I'm trying to get into this tuning or mapping thing. I have the 2.0 tatrix and RomRaider working just fine. Even on windows 7. ECUflash, however just will not except the new defs. Even in windows xp. I connect my testers, plug up to comp and port and turn on car. Hit read ecu. ECUflash still shows the old profiles. Or worse, no profiles at all. I've gone into the directory and removed all old mitsu and sub defs and replaced them with new defs. I just don't get it. What am I doing wrong? Does anyone have an ECUflash app with the new defs already applied?

BTW, I did pulls with RR and they turned out fine; except they were saved as .excel files. I'll post 'em if it'll help. Thanks.

I've never seen RR saves files with anything other than a ".csv" extension. If you have Excel installed, those might show up as "Excel Files" in Explorer windows.

Getting EcuFlash to work on Win7 was a bit of a pain. If I remember correctly (and I'm not at all sure that I do) the thing that worked for me was to copy the definition files to the EcuFlash\rommetadata\subaru directory using a command line window that I had launched using 'run as administrator.' It was a while ago so I may be leaving out some key details. I remember that I tried several things before getting it to work, but I don't remember what all the things were.

It's easy to end up with files actually living under c:\users\you\appdata\local\virtualstore due to the way Windows tries to prevent changes to files under c:\progra~1. EcuFlash seemed to get confused by that weirdness. I can't blame it... I did too. :)

I've never seen RR saves files with anything other than a ".csv" extension. Really? All the files I've seen are .excel. I'll have to experiment. If you have Excel installed, those might show up as "Excel Files" in Explorer windows.

Getting EcuFlash to work on Win7 was a bit of a pain. If I remember correctly (and I'm not at all sure that I do) the thing that worked for me was to copy the definition files to the EcuFlashrommetadatasubaru directory using a command line window that I had launched using 'run as administrator.'Tried that. Bypassed the ACU and DRM and nada. It was a while ago so I may be leaving out some key details. I remember that I tried several things before getting it to work, but I don't remember what all the things were.

It's easy to end up with files actually living under c:usersyouappdatalocalvirtualstore due to the way Windows tries to prevent changes to files under c:progra~1. EcuFlash seemed to get confused by that weirdness. I can't blame it... I did too. :)

No, once you disable ACU there's no prob. I even ran it in windows xp configuration. I may just need a ROM of my base map to load before I test flash. Hello infamous1?

I've never seen RR saves files with anything other than a ".csv" extension. If you have Excel installed, those might show up as "Excel Files" in Explorer windows.

When I try to open them in RR ECU editor they show as .cvs files. But when I try to open them it says defs not found. I loaded the logger defs into the logger and it works. What other defs are there?

Archived