LegacyGT.com

The Official Tuning Thread

Infamous1

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
What was the final verdict on shift knock..? I heard that it's caused by that idle overrun fuel cut. Would it make sense to have that modified in the rom somehow vs. partial throttle between shifts?
"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

I had a couple of questions that someone might be able to help with. At what point do you need to get a wideband sensor as far as Stage 1, Stage 2 etc.? Also, what is the best wideband for working with RR? I have read some things that say it is necessary to have one for opensource tuning.
BE committed to DO what it takes to HAVE more of what you want in your life!!!

If you're just going to run a tune that someone makes for you, it's not strictly necessary (provide the tuner is familiar with your intake and injectors), but it can't hurt. If you want to tune yourself, it's a very good idea.

It's possible that you can tune using the stock sensor after relocating it to the downpipe bellmouth, but nobody has really proven that approach yet, and I'm not sure it's a good idea for a tuning novice to be the guinea pig for this idea.

I use a PLX SM-AFR, and I've been very happy with it. It's been completely reliable. The latest version of RomRaider supports it.

There was a final verdict on shift knock? :)

Are you serious:lol:....I have seen/heard ppl cap low load/high rpm timing at 38 deg, richen up the midrange AFR, change MAF in midrange, and tell you to partially hold the throttle during shift.

Oh, there's no question that shift knock happens, I just haven't seen a consensus on how to fix it. Personally I also cap high-rpm/low-load timing at 38, and it does help with knock I was having getting back on the throttle after engine braking but I still get occasional knock counts (FBKC, never FLKC) when I lift throttle at the end of a pull. Not sure what to do about that but it's uncommon enough that I'm not losing sleep over it. And since load is changing fast when I do it, I'm not even sure where I'd make changes to fix it.

Yeah....With my old setup, I hardly made any WOT pulls from 1st to 2nd because during the shift I had a lot of shift knock going into second. By the time the counter added the timing back in, it was time to shift again. It would pull close to 10 deg. in the FBKC. Never FLKC. It wasn't as bad if I slowed down the shift. 3-4 no shift knock...Maybe Cobb has a solution. Or could we change something in the DBW tables to keep throttle open(delayed) between shifts?

• 2 weeks later...
All the downloads show up in the library but I can't read anything. I downloaded all the definitions but when I try to open them it says the definitions need to be configured. Also when I try to open logger it says "cannot view xml input using style sheet." I have no idea what any of this means. Is open source tuning only for those that are computer saavy? I can't get an e-tune from Infamous1 if I can't even get these necessary programs to work properly. Any help would be appreciated

Hummm Windows 7....I use it with XP...I know some ppl were having problems setting it up on a Win 7 machine. I'm off tomorrow and I have my fiance's laptop with Win 7 installed. Maybe I'll try to install it and report back...

If you're just going to run a tune that someone makes for you, it's not strictly necessary (provide the tuner is familiar with your intake and injectors), but it can't hurt. If you want to tune yourself, it's a very good idea.

It's possible that you can tune using the stock sensor after relocating it to the downpipe bellmouth, but nobody has really proven that approach yet, and I'm not sure it's a good idea for a tuning novice to be the guinea pig for this idea.

I use a PLX SM-AFR, and I've been very happy with it. It's been completely reliable. The latest version of RomRaider supports it.

Speaking of WBs, NSFW did I tell you my LC-1 died last week. Going to RMA the damn thing tomorrow....There is 4 hours uninstalling/installing that I'll never get back in my life..:lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished flashing MickeyD's rev 7. Going out for a drive and some logging. What is the best list of parameters to log?

I was going to use:

a/f sensor #1

engine load (g/rev)

engine speed

ignition total timing (degrees)

knock sum (count)

manifold relative pressure (psi)

PWDC %

throttle %

TDI (absolute %)

If there is anything else that I should be logging or anything that I should not be logging?

Just log these parameters only..If you have a Wideband O2 log that as well..

engine speed

engine load

throttle position

primary wgdc

knock sum

total ignition timing

manifold relative pressure

Heres a log from last night after loading MickeyD's stage 1 rev 7. It was 2nd thru 4th gear. I put the learning view up also. I am seeing some huge differences in some numbers from my stock logs.

romraiderlog_20100307_225655.csv

LearningView_3-7-2010 11 11 00 PM.csv

Heres a log from last night after loading MickeyD's stage 1 rev 7. It was 2nd thru 4th gear. I put the learning view up also. I am seeing some huge differences in some numbers from my stock logs.

That is not a WOT log, looking at your Learning View you have knock all over the place.

I noticed I did absolute pressure instead of relative on the log. I forgot to do throttle opening angle as well. I did about seven different logs. Several 2nd thru 4th and a 4th gear from about 2.5k up to 5.5k. Some of them were partial throttle pulls and some were wot pulls. I thought I had read somewhere to do both.

Question about the rear O2 sensor...

What actually happens when you disable the P0420 code? Are you only stopping the comparator of front vs rear? BTW I am using a Crucial shorty catless DP and was throwing P0420 CEL's. Normally I use catted products but I wanted to fast-track STG2 on the cheap.

I searched around but could not find a suitable answer. Seems the rear O2 is used ( primarily ) for idle fuel trims then cat efficiency, is there more?

Thanks for any info, just trying to understand a bit more about the sensors and what the potential consequences of turning off certain codes.

• 1 month later...
Question about the rear O2 sensor...

What actually happens when you disable the P0420 code? Are you only stopping the comparator of front vs rear? BTW I am using a Crucial shorty catless DP and was throwing P0420 CEL's. Normally I use catted products but I wanted to fast-track STG2 on the cheap.

I searched around but could not find a suitable answer. Seems the rear O2 is used ( primarily ) for idle fuel trims then cat efficiency, is there more?

Thanks for any info, just trying to understand a bit more about the sensors and what the potential consequences of turning off certain codes.

It's my understanding that when you disable a code, the checks still happen, and they still fail. The difference is that after detecting the failure, the failure code doesn't get stored, so code readers don't see it and the CEL doesn't get lit. Far as I know, there are no side-effects.

Merchgod (who did most of the reverse-engineering) wrote something about this on RomRaider a while back. Some searching of those forums might turn it up if you want more details.

• 2 weeks later...
Are you serious:lol:....I have seen/heard ppl cap low load/high rpm timing at 38 deg, richen up the midrange AFR, change MAF in midrange, and tell you to partially hold the throttle during shift.

Does anyone have a good stg-1 base map for a 05 5eat car ???

Mickyd's map wont seen to load straight in. My ecu is a A2WC510C.

the graphs dont seen to line up. Is his map for a 32 bit ??? Mine might

be a 16 bit ???.

I have compared the graphs to my ecm to a 05 STi I used to own and

it seems to be the closest, But it is still not dead on. Is it something

to do with maybe being a 2005 1/2 car ??? I guess I could hand install

cell by cell from other maps to create my own ??? log it till its good ??

No maps I look at seem to have all the same parameters.

Can anyone help with this ???:confused:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have the very first version of the Mickey D stage 1 map ???? Before

all the revisions ??? Already copied from the spreadsheet ??? Id like to load this

map straight in and tune from there if needed. Thanks if anyone has that.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived