LegacyGT.com

School me on home brewing

rc0032

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am about a week away from kegging a Belgium custom quad that will be around 12% and the wifes Robust pecan porter. 10 gallons of goodness in about 2 weeks

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

• 4 weeks later...

Well the beers turned out but my 12.8% quad is not the exact flavor I had hoped for. Its very drinkable and puts you down after a couple but it could be better.

The pecan porter is perfect and the wife should be proud.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

Making a proper starter and maintaining proper fermentation temperature are the difference between crappy home brew and awesome beer.

Fermentation temps aren't an issue. I've got a ST1000 on a ferm chamber. It's solid. I think I just get impatient at the end of a brew day and my pitching isn't effective because I don't have a starter ready and I'm at the high end of the pitch temp range.. I haven't gotten the rigorous fermentation I'd like to see on my last two batches, and I've missed my number each time.

Tits mcgee

Hello there,

I can tell you my biggest challenge is fermentation temps. The current "off" flavor of my quad and the pineapple notes in my 10% killer kolsch were specifically caused by to high of fermentation temps with a violent fermentation :)

The difference is the pineapple notes were a welcome addition and made that beer way too easy to drink, the quad is a steak in a bottle so any off flavor sits with you a little longer. Its great to drink, just not what it could be.

I just don't have the room currently for a better method of storage but a keezer w/temp control is on my Christmas list, just don't know where to put it.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Moderators

I have a space under my basement stairs. Thinking about turning it into a fermentation chamber with some rigid foam installation on all sides and a lightbulb for heat, lol

I really need to brew again.

Regarding pitching, we brewed 10gal of a DIPA and then split it into two 5 gal parts to ferment. One fermented ok and we kegged quickly, the other fermented longer and I think completely. First one was likely under fermented due to poor pitching, second one had time to recover. The second one with proper fermentation was an exponentially better beer.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Fermentation temps aren't an issue. I've got a ST1000 on a ferm chamber. It's solid. I think I just get impatient at the end of a brew day and my pitching isn't effective because I don't have a starter ready and I'm at the high end of the pitch temp range.. I haven't gotten the rigorous fermentation I'd like to see on my last two batches, and I've missed my number each time.

Just started using yeast nutrient, wyeast, and it's helped my last few batches attenuate a little better than normal. Try not to cut corners at pitching time on a brew day, I know it's been long day but pitching at the right temp is critical. If you pitch a little warm and then cool the yeast can go to sleep/drop out instead of starting the reproductive phase. Pitching enough healthy cells will help as well.

Kegged a hoppy blonde and an IPA last night. Was aiming for a nice creamy mouthfeel with a little higher mash temp and some flaked barley. My session IPA just kicked damn it. It was killer and I'm sad it's gone, got a 40 on it at the state fair.

I just don't have the room currently for a better method of storage but a keezer w/temp control is on my Christmas list, just don't know where to put it.

Dave

Have you tried placing your fermenters in a water bath? A wet t-shirt over the fermenter will keep it a couple degrees cooler. You can also use a deeper water bath and drop in some frozen bottles of water a few times a day to help keep it cool. It's no ferm chamber but if you have time to babysit it, it will get you by. The first few days are the most important as far as temp control.

• 1 year later...

yeah I called it an imperial kolsch lol....We did it once before a couple years ago but this one came out even smoother. I have done a couple scary high gravity beers in the last few batches. I had a 12.8% quad that was an after dinner half pint kind of beer...

I always measure OG and FG and sometimes have to go back and look at the pictures I take during the process to make sure I'm not calculating wrong due to them being so drinkable....

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived