LegacyGT.com

School me on home brewing

rc0032

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Racked our whiskey barrel stout into a keg last night. Buddy wanted to try carbonating in the keg with priming sugar so that's what we're doing. I think it's silly when we can just force carbonate, but no big deal.

This is the beer I was worried about re: low fermentation, but it's a extract brew so the amount of fermentable sugars should have been fine, and when I tasted it last night it didn't taste overly sweet so I'm guessing the yeast did their thing :iam:

Will know in a few weeks I guess!

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• 2 weeks later...
It all depends on the yeast you're using. I've found that since many Belgian strains like higher temps and many of them will stall in the lower 60's, you will need to bottle condition them at higher temps. Try keeping it over 70 for a while.

Everything I've seen points to those temps being quite a bit low for that beer--warm those puppies up :)

They've been about 68-70 for about 2 weeks now, and have developed some carbonation. Drank two of them yesterday and got about 1/4" of head. I'm going to keep them upstairs where it's warm and see if they get carbed more.

I saw this on reddit, and figured you all would like to see it; a really simple DIY method to etch your brew kettle:

http://imgur.com/a/dCvS5

http://i.imgur.com/XZTxNwf.jpg

And somebody posted a followup discussing the metallurgical aspects:

"yes, probably these etched areas would be prone to corrosion and (worse) might cause your beer to have a metallic taste for the first post-etching batch or two.

All is not lost! All we need to do is make sure the etched areas have their corrosion resistance restored! We can easily do this with materials found around the home. What I would suggest is soaking a washcloth in lemon juice, laying it on top of the etchings (maybe by turning it sideways), and getting it hot somehow - say, 180 deg. F or thereabouts, so we don't boil the lemon juice off but we have some impetus for the passivation reaction. I guess you could put it in the oven on "low". An hour or two should do it. If it dries out you could just pour some more lemon juice on it. Lime juice would work of course. Or just plain lemons. Nitric acid is normally used, but who has that laying around? Plus it's dangerous."

That's only in regards to SS. It sounds like aluminum can be etched the same way, without the corrosion risk.

Im fairly confident my yeast died in my RIS. I popped open a bottle this weekend. No audible hiss as it opened, no card, no head, nothing.

thinking of creating about 4 different starters with different yeasts, popping the bottles open, dropping the starter in, capping again, and waiting

• Moderators
Im fairly confident my yeast died in my RIS. I popped open a bottle this weekend. No audible hiss as it opened, no card, no head, nothing.

thinking of creating about 4 different starters with different yeasts, popping the bottles open, dropping the starter in, capping again, and waiting

Come down to springfield. Open all bottles, pour into keg, we'll carb it up, and then you can GTFO :lol:

• Moderators
Honestly I don't know. In theory it would--add more viable yeast, and if they have food they'll certainly carb things up. However, there might be some math in there for how much yeast you need. Too little and you'll have a similar result (underwhelming carbonation), but too much and I would imagine you could end up bursting bottles...?

Honestly I don't know. In theory it would--add more viable yeast, and if they have food they'll certainly carb things up. However, there might be some math in there for how much yeast you need. Too little and you'll have a similar result (underwhelming carbonation), but too much and I would imagine you could end up bursting bottles...?

Time to science the fuck out of those beers!

Id like to do one batch with a lactic acid, but not sure that work at this stage int he game. At this point, I know the beer is kind of fucked, so why not play around with it?

it was a very ambitious beer for a relatively inexperienced AG brewer. At first I had the "IM NEVER HOMEBREWING AGAIN"

But now that ive calmed down, I think im going to dial it down and get back to making good, simple beers, and working my way back up

It's unlikely (nearly impossible) that your yeast died altogether. It's not uncommon for big beers to carb very slowly. What temperature have the bottles been resting at and how long since you bottled?

Its been about a month since bottling. It also sat in the fermentor with the vanilla and cherries for about a month before bottling. temp is probably ~70

70* is good. Warm it up a little if you can. That will speed up the process a bit. I had a Barley Wine that took about 4 months to fully carb. Prolonged aging can allow a lot of the yeast to settle out. It will carb. it's just going to take some time. Don't open and re-cap them. That will just cause oxidation.

Going forward, it's never a bad idea to add a little bit of dry yeast to the bottling bucket when bottling a high ABV beer or one that has been bulk aged for a period of time.

70* is good. Warm it up a little if you can. That will speed up the process a bit. I had a Barley Wine that took about 4 months to fully carb. Prolonged aging can allow a lot of the yeast to settle out. It will carb. it's just going to take some time. Don't open and re-cap them. That will just cause oxidation.

Going forward, it's never a bad idea to add a little bit of dry yeast to the bottling bucket when bottling a high ABV beer or one that has been bulk aged for a period of time.

Thanks! Ill take your word for it, and give it a shot with letting them chill for a bit. It probably is higher than 70. its on my third floor, which gets nice and roasty

• Mega Users
Give it time. It will happen. I've tried quick carbing a wheat wine and barley wine by holding a few bottles at 80, but it gave them a very distinct booziness that the others didn't have. So keep it between 70-75 for another month.

• Moderators
Just kegged a belgian pale ale and brewed a double oatmeal stout. I can has productive?

Nice!

We just recently finished our kegerator, and while it's pretty great it's definitely going to need to be upgraded to a larger fridge before too long (built with an apartment sized fridge). That said, I'd probably be lying if I said I'm not bitter about this guy popping up right after we finishing building our own kegerator:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/bfs/4364222989.html

:spin:

• Mega Users

That's an awesome deal!

Mine is just an 8.8CuFt chest freezer. So far I couldn't really call it a kegerator, I haven't modified it at all yet, just added a temp controller. I'm going to build a bar around it and solder up a copper tap tower.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Put our keg of whiskey barrel stout on tap yesterday. We fortified it with just a little bit of bourbon before we kegged it a couple weeks ago. Tastes pretty damned good, although it needs a bit more carbonation (we carbed it with priming sugar for only two weeks so I'm not surprised).

Also brewed a Belgian Caramel Wit yesterday. This was still an extract brew but it also called for a bit of a "mini mash" with about 2lbs of grains. Was a fun addition to the brew process and the beer seems like it will be pretty interesting.

Archived