LegacyGT.com

School me on home brewing

rc0032

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bottling is a pain in the ass, but fundamentally easy as hell. Kegging has a bit more components to it, however once you get it all put together, you're right; clean and sanitize one container.

When I have a few hundred bucks of disposal income to use towards brewing, I think i'll lean towards kegging. For now, bottling is working just fine.

Coming from having a homemade kegerator for bought kegs... then bottling my first brew, I was thinking, "what the F#%$???" Sanitizing, drying, filling individually while pinching off & trying not to spurt product all over the kitchen... I knew my next batch would be kegged. I just need to grab a garage fridge somewhere, and I'll be good to go.
Tits mcgee

Coming from having a homemade kegerator for bought kegs... then bottling my first brew, I was thinking, "what the F#%$???" Sanitizing, drying, filling individually while pinching off & trying not to spurt product all over the kitchen... I knew my next batch would be kegged. I just need to grab a garage fridge somewhere, and I'll be good to go.

Well thats where you went wrong! Drying? StarSan-DONT FEAR THE FOAM!

And pinching off? Bottle wand, y0!

http://www.homebrewstuff.com/bottle-filling-wand-standard-3-8.html

Well thats where you went wrong! Drying? StarSan-DONT FEAR THE FOAM!

And pinching off? Bottle wand, y0!

http://www.homebrewstuff.com/bottle-filling-wand-standard-3-8.html

:lol: apparently this is the case. Different interpretations. I think of this when I hear/read bottling wand.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/beergun-stainless-bottle-filler.html

Referred to as a beer gun there but I always refer/have heard it referred to as a bottling wand for carbed beer.

• Moderators
Why would you use a bottling wand if the beer is not already carbed? Unless you guys have a different interpretation of bottling wand than I..

It's not like a growler filler, if that's what you're thinking. It's a "cap" that goes on you siphon tube. You stick it into the bottle you're filling and when you press it down it releases the valve and lets the beer flow out. Makes it so you don't have beer spilling all over the place when going from one bottle to the next.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Why would you use a bottling wand if the beer is not already carbed? Unless you guys have a different interpretation of bottling wand than I..

Look at what hipsterdoofus linked - that's the type bottling wand we're talking about.

There's a little needle valve at the end, which opens when the needle is pressed. I have a short piece (maybe 3 inches) of tubing connecting the spout on my bottling bucket to the wand.

You leave the spigot on the bottling bucket open, then just stick the wand in the empty/clean/sanitized bottles, and press down on the bottom of the bottle.

I put my bottling bucket on the counter and sit in a chair right in front of it.

And we use those so you don't do what DeltaNu is describing :lol:

edit - beaten to the punch

It's not like a growler filler, if that's what you're thinking. It's a "cap" that goes on you siphon tube. You stick it into the bottle you're filling and when you press it down it releases the valve and lets the beer flow out. Makes it so you don't have beer spilling all over the place when going from one bottle to the next.

Look at what hipsterdoofus linked - that's the type bottling wand we're talking about.

There's a little needle valve at the end, which opens when the needle is pressed. I have a short piece (maybe 3 inches) of tubing connecting the spout on my bottling bucket to the wand.

You leave the spigot on the bottling bucket open, then just stick the wand in the empty/clean/sanitized bottles, and press down on the bottom of the bottle.

I put my bottling bucket on the counter and sit in a chair right in front of it.

And we use those so you don't do what DeltaNu is describing :lol:

edit - beaten to the punch

Read the following post. I know what that is and how to use it. Done so veeeeeeeery many times. I also have about 10 growler fillers so I know the difference there too :lol:

Carry on brewers.

A vinator, bottle rack, and bottling bucket with a wand, and I've got 5 gallons bottled in about 45 minutes

I've only used my auto-siphon for one batch, but it was awesome. No screwing with priming the siphon, or worrying about infecting by beer with my dirty mouth. I also got the 1/2" one, so transfers are very fast. The end-cap filter thing also seemed to work better than the one that came with my racking cane.

I'd definitely recommend one of those to anybody that's been siphoning the old school way.

Took advantage of the snow day yesterday to brew a batch. Made Northern Brewer's Caribou Slobber:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/caribou-slobber-extract-kit.html?gclid=CPyLpf3hy7wCFUYOOgod3G4AhA

Also had my first 2 bottles of the Belgian Strong Dark ale I bottled two Sundays ago. It tasted good, and after 2 of those (~8%) and an American Pale Ale homebrew (~5%) I had a little buzz, but there was pretty much zero carbonation in the Belgian :confused:

I've seen recommendations for minimum 3 weeks of bottle conditioning for bigger beers, but I've tried my other brews after just 1 week and they were at least partially carbonated already.

• Mega Users
Took advantage of the snow day yesterday to brew a batch. Made Northern Brewer's Caribou Slobber:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/caribou-slobber-extract-kit.html?gclid=CPyLpf3hy7wCFUYOOgod3G4AhA

Also had my first 2 bottles of the Belgian Strong Dark ale I bottled two Sundays ago. It tasted good, and after 2 of those (~8%) and an American Pale Ale homebrew (~5%) I had a little buzz, but there was pretty much zero carbonation in the Belgian :confused:

I've seen recommendations for minimum 3 weeks of bottle conditioning for bigger beers, but I've tried my other brews after just 1 week and they were at least partially carbonated already.

It all depends on the yeast you're using. I've found that since many Belgian strains like higher temps and many of them will stall in the lower 60's, you will need to bottle condition them at higher temps. Try keeping it over 70 for a while.

It all depends on the yeast you're using. I've found that since many Belgian strains like higher temps and many of them will stall in the lower 60's, you will need to bottle condition them at higher temps. Try keeping it over 70 for a while.

Will do, thanks. The bottles have probably been around 60-64.

Archived