LegacyGT.com

iPod Integration Kit

Wedge

Edit: Figured out my iPod problem. I just reset it/reformatted it, and let it charge up, and now it's fine! Sweet!

Also, did anyone else lose a screw trying to get one in/out on the three on the sides of the radio, the one that is really deeply recessed? I couldnt fit my fingers in there, I'm sure no one else could, and I didnt have a magnetic phillips head. I'm hoping a lost screw won't hurt anything.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Edit: Figured out my iPod problem. I just reset it/reformatted it, and let it charge up, and now it's fine! Sweet!

Also, did anyone else lose a screw trying to get one in/out on the three on the sides of the radio, the one that is really deeply recessed? I couldnt fit my fingers in there, I'm sure no one else could, and I didnt have a magnetic phillips head. I'm hoping a lost screw won't hurt anything.

It should be fine, but if you want to replace the screw it wouldn't be hard. Just take one of the other screws to a hardware store or home depot and they can match it up for you.

It should be fine, but if you want to replace the screw it wouldn't be hard. Just take one of the other screws to a hardware store or home depot and they can match it up for you.

I did end up going to the hardware store to get another screw that was close. What Im concerned with, though, is the missing screw. I have no idea where it went, and I guess Im worried its going to get caught somewhere it shouldnt and start rattling. I just hate that its lost somewhere in there where it shouldnt be. I dont know if I should be worried about that or not.

King08, mine is an 08 Limited and it works fine. I got mine from subaru genuine parts and the bracket bolts in perfectly, no modification necessary.

I did end up going to the hardware store to get another screw that was close. What Im concerned with, though, is the missing screw. I have no idea where it went, and I guess Im worried its going to get caught somewhere it shouldnt and start rattling. I just hate that its lost somewhere in there where it shouldnt be. I dont know if I should be worried about that or not.

King08, mine is an 08 Limited and it works fine. I got mine from subaru genuine parts and the bracket bolts in perfectly, no modification necessary.

Thanks for the reply!

I just did Jazzy's ipod kit for the wife's 05 LG.... worked out well.

So now, i have the Subaru ipod integration kit for my 07. I was just looking at the instructions, and it should be a bit easier, now that i practiced on my wifes car, and you dont have to tear apart the head unit.

However, im puzzled at step 9 in the instructions... it shows them dropping the panel under the steering wheel (do we really need to do this???), and then what appears to be disconnecting a cable of sorts...? It appears the cable is from the climate control center. im guessing this frees up space temporarily to work in the dash board, and makes installing the interface easier, but im wondering if anyone has done this, and if you really need to do this step.

PS - this step doesnt apply to cars that have automatic climate control.

^That only applies to the manual climate controls system. The cable is connected to the knob on the left. If you do not disconnect the cable from under the steering wheel, it's really a huge PITA to get the headunit out. I got it out because i did not have the instruction manual available.

If you do not want to disconnect the cable first. Once you pull out the headunit, there are I remember 2 bolts on each side you need to loosen first, separating the cable frame from the climate control.

○ ○ ○

Instagram: itshangertime :spin::spin::spin: ○ ○ ○

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone have a problem with shutting the car off, then turning it on again a minute later, and the screen saying ATTACHED but not working? I dont know if its my iPod or the system. If I shut my car off to run into the ATM, when I come out and turn it on again, it hasnt been working.

I had that problem with my old iPod. The battery was shot and couldn't hold a charge, and if I left it for too long I'd get that (usually overnight, never something as quick as a trip to the ATM).

It usually only said ATTACHED as the iPod was booting up. Once that was done, I could get it to start playing again, but it wouldn't start automatically.

I get the 'attached' message pretty regularlly, usually when I turn the car just on, then start it after a minute or short trips do it too, I just unplug it and replug it in, oR, what I discovered recently was turning the headunit off and on, or switching inputs fixes it. I also get random 'pause' which I don't even know how to do. It just turns on, plays for a second then says 'pause' which is when I figured out the off/on fix, and then prompted the switching to another input fix, which is slightly faster

Sorry for spelling / grammer, on my BB

• 3 weeks later...

Just to clarify:

1. I need a $400 07 head unit and a $130 ipod interface kit

2. I can use the iPod touch screen to navigate music and the stereo volume for control?

3. Is this a better sound quality than the Jazzy aux in?

I have no problem using the Jazzy aux in if the sound quality is good.

I would gladly trade my 6 CD changer for iPod integration.

My other car is a 1993 Chevy S-10 Tahoe! (Currently being driven to failure by my nephew)

The Ipod interface will cease to function (at least with my Ipods it has) and a "Subaru Ipod" screen will show up. Everything has to be done either before being plugged in, ie: play your artist / song / playlist and then plug it into the stereo, or by using the 1-2-3.. u/d/l/r buttons on the stereo. This can be VERY cumbersome if you have lots of music / playlists

Jazzy will probably sound about as good as the ipod port, at least by the time the stock headunit is done with it. if you were buying an alpine head unit and crossover, and 10pc speaker system and replacing everything, youd probably be able to hear the downside of the jazzy, but were using the stock unit... its more of a funtionality thing to me. The Jazzy is great, cheap and pretty easy, but having to set the CD to repeat all the time :/ ehhhh

oh and the units are not really that expensive any more, you can find the 07 units in the junk yard for like 150-200 now probably. and might even find an 08 with a ipod in there already as a bonus

• 2 months later...

For those with a 2007 Legacy Spec.b - the head unit should have SRS WOW on the 6 disc cd changer.

The pac-audio uPAC-SB1 works for iPod integration. If you are running iOS 4 on your iPhone then you'll need a new firmware revision. Pac audio says this doesn't work on the 07's but the Spec.B got the newer headunit so their kits for the 08 work.

You can also search their site as it looks like they have a newer model ISSB571 that will work as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Just read all 26 pgs.... I'm at work and bored :rolleyes:

I've discerned this much....

The kit will work on any 6 disc HU that has SAT capability

You CANNOT use WITH SAT, it's either or

It WILL NOT charge a 5v iProduct without an additional passthrough converter

PAC makes a product that says you can keep XM.... Is this so??

Basically I have an iPhone 3Gs with intentions on getting a 5G when it comes out (I'm waiting for 4g connectivity) I want to be able to connect it to my stereo with full integration + charging AND retain my satellite connection. Any solutions other than what I am currently doing? Which is using a lineout/usb cable to connect to my Aux-In and charge via a 12v-USB charger.

My setup avoids using the headphone out, so quality is a little improved and I can hold my iPhone comfortably to choose songs. To those who have this integration, how nice are the controls after getting used to them. How annoying is the delay?

PAC makes a product that says you can keep XM.... Is this so??

My setup avoids using the headphone out, so quality is a little improved and I can hold my iPhone comfortably to choose songs. To those who have this integration, how nice are the controls after getting used to them. How annoying is the delay?

Don't have the OEM iPod kit, but have the PAC one I think you are referring to, also called the iSimple Gateway (http://pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=916&CategoryID=36). It's not clear from their description if Sat radio no longer functions or not. It says it needs to be disconnected, but the harness has both the male and female sockets to go between the sat radio and the head unit. Maybe ask a reseller of the product such as Crutchfield or Autotoys.com

From an interface stand point, there were 2 options for controlling the iPod from the PAC unit.

1. Full. Meaning the ONLY way to control the iPod is from the head unit. Browse playlists, artists, etc from the head unit. This is very cumbersome and (IMHO) worthless. The iPod goes into "attached to controller mode" and you have to use the head unit. Used it for about 2 min and gave up.

2. AuxMode. This allows control of playlists and selection directly on the iPod/iPhone. The only controls which are available via the head unit are next/previous and pause. Have been using this mode exclusively. Much easier.

• I Donated
From an interface stand point, there were 2 options for controlling the iPod from the PAC unit.

1. Full. Meaning the ONLY way to control the iPod is from the head unit. Browse playlists, artists, etc from the head unit. This is very cumbersome and (IMHO) worthless. The iPod goes into "attached to controller mode" and you have to use the head unit. Used it for about 2 min and gave up.

2. AuxMode. This allows control of playlists and selection directly on the iPod/iPhone. The only controls which are available via the head unit are next/previous and pause. Have been using this mode exclusively. Much easier.

I personally much prefer the Full mode, as I can use it without taking my eyes off the road for too long due to the larger text size, and I can use it one-handed (the iPod requires two). It's easy to use -- just press Preset 2 to enter the menu, select Playlist, Artist, Genre, etc. with the track skip rocker, press 2 again, select your playlist, artist, or whatever, press 2 again, select the starting song (no need to select if you want to start from the beginning of the list), press 2 again, and the music starts playing. If you mess up your selection, press Preset 3 to go back to the previous step. I have had a few times where the interface froze up and I needed to switch out of iPod mode, but overall, I find Full mode to be much better than Aux mode.

I personally much prefer the Full mode, as I can use it without taking my eyes off the road for too long due to the larger text size, and I can use it one-handed (the iPod requires two). It's easy to use -- just press Preset 2 to enter the menu, select Playlist, Artist, Genre, etc. with the track skip rocker, press 2 again, select your playlist, artist, or whatever, press 2 again, select the starting song (no need to select if you want to start from the beginning of the list), press 2 again, and the music starts playing. If you mess up your selection, press Preset 3 to go back to the previous step. I have had a few times where the interface froze up and I needed to switch out of iPod mode, but overall, I find Full mode to be much better than Aux mode.

Totally understand the "eyes on road" argument.

Most recently I've ended up completely ditching the iSimple's iPod interface (cable) altogether and have just been using the A2DP streaming option using the ISBT21 add-on. This way I can just hit "1" (voice dial) and say "Play Playlist Most Recent" or something. In my case I have used iOS 4 on a iPhone4 and 4G Touch. Also, since there are no cables I can toss the iPhone back to my son in the rear-seat and let him control the next song all the while streaming through the radio. Using the A2DP I still have the ability to Next/Previous track and Pause (2) from the head-unit.

Of course, with a SpecB already having the Bluetooth as part of the HU (it does, right?) an additional bluetooth connection probably wouldn't be a good idea. That's the nice thing about this iSimple unit, it brings some bell-n-whistles to the otherwise mundane single CD HU of the 2.5i.

AFAIK the SpecB has the same HU as other LGT's.. maybe Bluetooth is part of the DVD/Nav?

I am very intrigued with the A2DP option, however, I don't tend to use my iPhone on short trips for streaming and on long trips I would much prefer to keep the battery charged while streaming. My wife is usually the one DJ'ing so the cable isn't such a problem.

The main reason I would want integration would be for the controls, quite honestly next, back and pause are plenty. I would probably choose Aux mode too. But I am not willing to sacrifice XM. I listen to it much more than I do iPhone....

Maybe my next Subaru will have full integration.... 6th Gen Legacy integrated to my 18G iPhone :lol:

• 1 month later...

Bump for a quick Q.

I'm considering buying an 08 or 09 LGT shortly. My research shows that the 09 seems to have the kit installed as it claims to charge it and control through headunit. I had previously read that 08's had an iPod connection, but since many people on here claim to have 08 LGTs, maybe it was just referring to an Aux-in cable. I suppose its clear to say it can be put in an 08 if it doesn't already have it.... but i can't figure out on what model year these kits were included stock? and if they were in the 2008/2009 stock... was this at the expense of a SAT radio setup?

Archived