LegacyGT.com

iPod Integration Kit

Wedge

Has anyone recorded a video of the system in operation?? It'd be nice to see how it works, including this delay that everyone is talking about.

I installed a Parrot Mki9100 in my Spec B and the iPod integration works decently. The things I don't like are:

-You can't use the steering wheel controls

-The wireless remote control is not 100% reliable as sometimes I need to press a button twice to get it do anything

-One of the most annoying things is that the random mode setting is not remembered between power offs, I have to set the mode on every time I get in the car.

-It's also pretty much impossible to navigate the song list to pick something, it just takes forever, but I think this would be similar in the official Subaru kit.

I also have been unable to find a decent spot for the screen so I have it inside the glove box for now.

I'm thinking about sending it back for a refund but I do like the ability of having a hands free kit for my phone.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having an Ipod Nano 4th Gen, I have not been able to use the current Subaru Ipod Integration kit for my 2007 Outback since it will not charge the Ipod (5 volt required for 4th gen as opposed to 12 volt for 3rd gen and older.)

I have found the following Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) integration kit which claims to not only charge the newer Ipods (including the 4th gen Nano,) but also claims to leave the satellite functionality intact.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360167454046&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123

The OEM claims that this product will work on the 2008 and newer Outbacks, but is not sure if it will work on the 2007's. My question is will it work on my 2007 if my head unit (HU) comes with satellite capabilities? IS there a change in the electronics of the HU from '07 to '08?

Very interesting indeed.

Thanks for the link Surfingbaboon!

I believe it should work with the '07's as well. I think someone compared an '07 and '08 head unit here somewhere. I'm too tired to look now. ;)

Please keep us updated in this thread if you decide to give it a try.

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...
What about this product? I have a 08 LGT with Nav and Satellite Radio...I wonder if this will work? Does anyone know?

That looks a lot the one Surfingbaboon linked. Maybe somebody will step up and give it shot. If you do, please report back your findings!

Cheers!

To charge an iPhone 3G or whatever later device, you can simply use one of the voltage adapters. You can pick them up at most electronics places or Apple stores. I use this with my Impreza adapter on my 08 LGT and it works fine and charges:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-Charging-Adapter-touch-iPhone/dp/B001HN6CVA]Amazon.com: Scosche Charging Adapter for iPod touch 2G, iPod nano 4G, iPhone 3G (Black): Electronics[/ame]

That looks a lot the one Surfingbaboon linked. Maybe somebody will step up and give it shot. If you do, please report back your findings!

Cheers!

I took the plunge and decided to try this out. I spoke to PAC auto who manufactures this item and they said it will work and it will retain the steering wheel functions as well. What they said is that it won't work with models that do not have nav and an in-dash 6-disc CD changer. I have no idea if this will work with my system (nav/ sat radio/ CD changer deck) but we'll see!

That's interesting as the advertisement explicitly states that it works with all systems including nav and non-nav.

I may give it a try, especially if you find that it's faster than the Subaru kit.

My wife just got a BMW and their iPod integration kit makes instant changes.

Cheers!

Ditchhanger - what year model etc did they have? I'm wondering if my head unit is the same as an 08 head unit as the spec b's got the srs wow head unit. I believe those weren't used throughout the legacy's until 08 but I could be wrong.

UGH --why is this is so hard?

As there were no responses, can I assume that no one knows whether or not the 09 Impreza interface will work?

Thanks,

Andy

Why not just get a Legacy interface that you KNOW will work?

For $30 isn't it a good enough deal to find out for yourself? If it doesn't you could always resell it on NASIOC or even Ebay for that matter.

I bought the original Impreza interface for nearly $140 on the chance that it would work with the Legacy.

My guess is that it would work just fine.

Cheers!

Hey, I have a 2008 Legacy 2.5i with Sat-option radio. I have been using the Aux jack to play my ipod through and I have a separate cig-lighter charger for it. This works fine. But I was wondering if anyone could comment on the sound quality difference on the ipod cable, if there is one at all.

I would get the ipod cable if there was a perceptible difference in quality. With the Aux cable, I have my ipod at like 90% volume to get it to sound decent on the factory HU. It sounds OK, but not as good as I would like.

Also, is it just me, or is there like no difference in volume on the HU from about level 13 to the top (30?)? Would be nice if the the volume were a little more linear.

Andy

I'm not an audiophile but I would guess the sound quality would get a bit better since the dock connector is a level line out versus the headphone jack.

Seems worth a try especially if you can get these adaptors for $30 like the poster above found one for on Ebay (the Impreza one will work fine).

Cheers!

Once I get an extra $130, I will be getting this kit http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUBARU-LEGACY-2009-09-iPOD-DIRECT-INPUT-ADAPTER_W0QQitemZ360167455253QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar_Audio_Video?hash=item53dba73a15&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245.

iPod, HD radio, and XM/Sirius all in one. The install video at the bottom of the page looks like a piece of cake. There is also a video showing its use in a Legacy here [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkLdt7ZByKU]YouTube - Coming Soon - PXAMG Operation in 2009 Subaru Legacy[/ame]

Thanks for the video!

This looks to be the same unit that Ditchhanger and Surfingbaboon linked above. Looks like it should work fine with the '07 radios as well (or anything with satellite radio compatibility). Cool stuff!

I just recieved this in today...and I'm going to install it now (much to the chagrin of my gf). I'll let you know what happens.

The device above is the exact same thing that I have purchased. However, the one thing that obothers me is that it says it will not work with double-din stereos with a 6-disc in-dash changer...which is what I have, but I also have SAT radio and Nav...so we shall see.

The other member who PMed me said:

"it does absolutly nothing. when you hook it up, the instructions say to press and hold the scan/seek button. well i did every possible button and when i press the "sat" button nothing happens. My installer who works as a professional audio video installer (for 20 years) could not get it to work. on the instructions it says that "will not work on cars with double din head unit". thats the only thing i can think of. im going to try the 1-800 number this weekend to see if we can figure out what went wrong.

I ipod cable charges my ipod, but other then that nothing else seems to work."

Like I said...we shall see...he had a 08 LGT I think...

Well, I did the install last night and it works! It was very simple to do (the only hard part was trying to figure out where I was going to put the iPod...in the center console or in the glove box).

The controls take a little getting used to considering accessing the menus arent as easy as what I'm used to (I have an Alpine iPod system in my STi and everything works great and easy from there), but other than that, it seems to work pretty darn good. I'm wondering if the Subaru system actually allows for text scrolling, since this system does not. It does charge my iPhone and I can actually stream music from Pandora as well on my iPhone.

I ended up running the cable into my glove box and leave the iPod in there. If you turn off the car and leave the iPod plugged in, the tracks will resume from where you left off and if you change to CD or SAT or to regular radio, the tracks will resume as well. I think if you have SAT radio and want to keep it, this option works very well.

Archived