LegacyGT.com

iPod Integration Kit

Wedge

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice price on the head unit!

Why didn't you get the Legacy iPod Integration Kit?

Still curious to see how this works compared to the Impreza one.

I just felt that the only difference between the Imprezza and Legacy kit was the bracket.

• 1 month later...
This might have already been addressed but whatever. I have a 2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i with stock radio. Can I just buy a wire and hook it up to the ipod and it'll play through the radio. I don't mind not having steering wheel control over the ipod.

Sweet. Mine showed up a day early :D

I installed it in about 10-15 minutes (including drilling the hole) and then sat and played with it for about 30 more minutes before coming back inside.

Its pretty slick. And it seems to work pretty well with my iPod Touch, as well as my old 4th Gen 20GB model.

Its one of those things that you'll actually need to read the manual for.

You basically use the satellite pre-set channels to use the iPod. Channel 1 controls the repeat/shuffle behavior (shuffle albums/shuffle songs), Channel 2 is your playlists. Channel 3 is your Artists and Channel 4 is your Albums. Channel 5 is your Podcasts and Channel 6 is your Audiobooks. Once you've chose a category, use the up and down arrows to scroll between artists. This is where the jog dial on the Impreza radios is much nicer than the up/down buttons on the Legacy radio.

There is also a hierarchy too which goes Playlists->Artists->Album and that basically says, if you hit playlists first and select a playlist, when you switch to artists mode, it'll only show you artists that are on that playlist. Some button or another clears that hierarchy (I forget what, and the manual is still outside).

Its a touch slow, and a little cumbersome, but its awesome to finally stop using the FM modulator for my iPod :p

Bumping this with a question - When you connect the iPod touch does it disallow any other functionality, or could i still use an installed app? I've got dynolicious and love google maps to help me get around when i need it...i would hate to lose any of that just so i can use my steering wheel controls.:lol:

I have steering wheel controls...I want to be able to change tracks on my ipod with them.

Thats a valid point. On most of the headunits I was checking out, crutchfield offers a cable for $60 that connects it and enables the steering wheel controls. Do you think it doesn't work?

Head unit i was looking at : http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130P7000BT/Pioneer-DEH-P7000BT.html?search=pioneer+deh

Compatible steering wheel control set : http://www.crutchfield.com/p_127SWIPS/PAC-SWI-PS.html?tp=3405

Bumping this with a question - When you connect the iPod touch does it disallow any other functionality, or could i still use an installed app? I've got dynolicious and love google maps to help me get around when i need it...i would hate to lose any of that just so i can use my steering wheel controls.:lol:

I can still use the apps on my iPhone 3G, I would assume the same would be true on the iPod Touch. I've actually been able to listen to music through the Pandora app on my iPhone as long as I can keep a decent data connection.

When you install it make sure you leave a long enough tail coming out of the center console so that you can pick up your device and look at the map if that is your intention.

Anyone install either the Impreza or the Tribeca ipod integration kit into a 09 Legacy 2.5gt have full control over it along with using the steering wheel controls?

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Dyno Video - Had a big lean spot as you can tell in the second pull

• 2 weeks later...

I am confused if I have an '07 outback with a an aux input jack in the center console and aux option on the radio do I still need an itegration kit to connect an ipod? Or do I just require a connector from the ipod to the jack. What about power?

As you can see i'm definitely non-technical and cannot find a clear answer from the threads I have searched

I am confused if I have an '07 outback with a an aux input jack in the center console and aux option on the radio do I still need an itegration kit to connect an ipod? Or do I just require a connector from the ipod to the jack. What about power?

As you can see i'm definitely non-technical and cannot find a clear answer from the threads I have searched

If you want to use the AUX-IN jack for your ipod you can, and you wouldn't need the integration kit (however, you wouldn't be able to control the ipod with the head unit/steering wheel controls). If you want to use the aux-in for the ipod, all you need is a male to male headphone jack cable. You can get them at radio shack. You then control the ipod from the ipod itself.

The iPod integration kit uses the Satellite-IN bus on the back of your head unit, and you would need to select SAT on the head unit to hear the iPod. You can control basic functions of the ipod with the head unit/steering wheel controls.

To use the aux in AND to keep your iPod charged you can use the jack cable zmarko linked and one of these. You can plug the jack cable into this belkin charger and the aux in jack in your cubby so you've only got one cord coming out to your iPod.

Cheers!

Oh yeah, strange thing happened yesterday. I plugged my iPod into my integration kit and got "ATTACHED" to show on my HU but never got the "SUBARU" logo to show on my iPod. I was able to control my iPod with the click wheel but not with the HU or the steering wheel controls. Not sure what's up with this? ;)

anyone know if theres a way to do that on a permanent basis

i have so much music its impossible to control through the headunit, and usually i just disconnect, find an album, hit play and then connect it, but it would be awesome if i could mod the connector to just allow it to play/charge through the hu but not control it with that crummy interface..

I ordered the ipod adapter last week and just got it in yesterday. Was a fairly easy install though I took my time not to scratch anything. So far I haven't messed around using the radio to skip artist. I just have it on a random play lists, though the steering wheel controls are great so far.

Here's a photo of the mess in the car once I got every thing out.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/StevenCole/Auto%20Photo%20Shoots/Legacy/DSC_7935.jpg

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Is this the adaptor for the Legacy or the Impreza?

If it's the Leggy one could you scan the quick reference guide and post it here? I'd really like to see how the functions are different.

Thanks and enjoy!

Its the legacy one. Every thing seems to work, headunit controls, steering wheel buttons, though if you skip a song it takes a second or two to go to the next song which is no big deal. Shows all information of the song/band, I think the other ipod adapters do the same.

Crappy scan though I probably could do better if I took a photo of it with my camera.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/StevenCole/scan0002.jpg

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Its the legacy one. Every thing seems to work, headunit controls, steering wheel buttons, though if you skip a song it takes a second or two to go to the next song which is no big deal. Shows all information of the song/band, I think the other ipod adapters do the same.

Crappy scan though I probably could do better if I took a photo of it with my camera.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/StevenCole/scan0002.jpg

Sweet! Thanks Windy!

This confirms my suspicion!

It looks like all Subaru did was create a new user manual to show how the Integration kit works on the Leggy stereo. From what I can tell with what you've posted this works EXACTLY like the Impreza kit I have in my car. :lol: :lol: ;)

I would love to get a nice pdf of both that quick reference guide and the full length user guide. I know I've seen it online at subaruparts.com for the Impreza kit. Hopefully they'll add the Legacy kit sometime. ;)

Thanks again!

Cheers!

No problem, I still have yet to read the user guide :)

Changing the artist is a little bit of a pain in the ass some times especially if I'm driving but I just leave it on random play most of the time.

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

No problem, I still have yet to read the user guide :)

Changing the artist is a little bit of a pain in the ass some times especially if I'm driving but I just leave it on random play most of the time.

I hear you there. If I'm the only one in the car I do the same. If there's something specific you want to hear it's best to find it before you start driving! :lol: :lol: ;)

Archived