LegacyGT.com

INSTRUCTIONS TO: unlock NAV while in motion

XiiiXiii

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was by was of the easiest mods that I have ever done to any car.

The seat came out very nice and easily, piece of cake. Only question, does anybody know the torque specs for the seat? (yes, I am one of those). I used an 18 gauge wire and folded it over a few times to really stuff it in there nice and snug. I used some electric tape for extra security. I then used a circular terminal for the other end of the wire to ground it to the nav chassis with a screw and nut - again, I piece of cake. Works beautifully just like expected. Thanks for the tip on the hidden settings for the 08, that was a life saver!

Like Lothar was back in December, I'm happy to see that this thread was bumped again yesterday. For those of you who have done it, perhaps you can address this question:

What kind of fastener is it that attaches the little piece of carpet (that little apron) to the base of the front of the seat?

If I just pull hard enough, will it come out, like many trim fasteners do? Or is there a trick (like unscrewing)?

Both of our cars have this little apron, and I'm sure that I can get to the connector with a wire I've prepared without unbolting the seat. But I'd like to unfasten that apron without destroying anything.

Thanks in advance, HPH

Unbolting the seat is the easiest part of the entire process, you can do it with a 14mm socket and a socket wrench while drinking a beer with the other hand...

I don't think that apron comes off, and I sure wouldn't want to find out. Don't learn the hard way not to take shortcuts and do it the right way. It almost always comes out better in the long run with less problems.

Uh, you mean to say that you don't have to unfasten the apron when you unbolt the seat? Huh? I thought it (the apron) was fastened to the floor and the seat(?). I do have the tools -- it's just that there are two cars, and it looks so easy, except for that silly piece of carpet. HPH

Well, crud.

As suggested in no uncertain terms above, I finally unbolted the seat in my 08 Spec.B to get at the Nav unit.

But the weenies at Kenwood, or Subaru or somewhere, have changed the connector. In this model (and I don't know about 08 LGTs), it's a 10-pin, circular DIN connector, sealed on the back. Locating the pin in question therefore needs the new manual or schematic, and serious surgery on the wiring is needed. Ya can't just stick a pin or a doubled-up wire in there any more. Rats. HPH

http://www.hphanson.com/LGTB/DIN-13.JPG

It's a ten-pin version of this guy (three rows of three instead of three rows of four; plus the single one), with, of course, the female socket on the Nav unit and the male plug on the cord. And the cord is sealed, like commercial TV/Stereo cable is, dipped in plastic or something.

By "surgery" I meant: acquire a male & female 10-pin compatible plug, straight-wire everything through except the PB ground, and ground that separately (or jump it to another ground on the plug) as in the mod discussed here. Finding that PB pin would need the schematic or some work with a voltmeter. HPH

Well, I did this on my bro's 08 3.0R back in November. The connector was that rectangle one as seen on the first post. Not sure what your build date is, or if SOA changed anything midyear.

Are you looking at the connector at the lower right hand side? I can grab some pictures of the 08 tomorrow night when I'm back in town to compare if ya want.

There is a circular one that goes to the nav screen, the pin needed is not in that one. There should be a rectangluar plug next to it that will have the pins needed.

Oh! http://www.emotihost.com/glass/18.gifhttp://www.emotihost.com/glass/18.gifhttp://www.emotihost.com/glass/18.gifhttp://www.emotihost.com/glass/18.gifhttp://www.emotihost.com/glass/18.gif

That connector. The hidden one, right there in plain sight. I guess I need new glasses.

All's well that ends well, though. Again, thanks for your patience. HPH

• 2 weeks later...
Well I just tried to do this mod to my MY07 Australian delivered model and it does not work for me. It just makes the navigation have this funky loading screen while it boots for the first time and then soon as I start moving the nav menu disables the buttons. Any ideas, I see someone has made the modification to an australian delivered model and had results.

Maybe I can make up for some of my previous doofus-ocity here...

I've done this on two cars now, an 07 Outback and an 08 Spec.B (both US).

When you unplug the rectangular connector to insert the new wire or connector, the Nav system loses its software information and needs to reboot -- that's the "funky" screen you're seeing, and it's normal.

It took me four tries with the Outback to get the it wired properly so that this hack would work. (It must be that I got lucky with the Spec.B, because it worked the first time. If it hadn't I would have had your reaction. But because I knew I'd done it, I kept at it on the Outback.)

What seemed to finally make it work was (1) a long enough stripped end on the wire, stiffened with solder, that it reached all the way through the plug and (2) a small extra blob of solder on the tip of the wire so that it didn't get pushed out of position when you plug the thing in. This was, I think, 18-gauge wire; perhaps using something fatter to begin with would help, although it needs to slide into the plug all the way. HPH

You should go to the hidden diagnostics menu and verify that the model is the same. I grounded the pin to another pin, so I don't have any wires hanging off. You can see in that diagnostics menu whether the ground is connected.
When Chuck Norris was born, the only person who cried was the doctor. Never slap Chuck Norris. - E.J.S.

Archived