LegacyGT.com

INSTRUCTIONS TO: unlock NAV while in motion

XiiiXiii

Does this not work for the 09's? I have tried this 3 times now and no go. I was just using a piece of wire, I folded the end over to thicken it up. It seems like it is in nice and tight, but who knows. Did anyone crimp a pin or something on the end of the wire?

It should work, you probably aren't making contact inside the plug with the pin on the back of the DVD unit. I would see if you can find a female pin that fits in the plug. If you can't find a pin a piece of 12awg wire could work also.

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Dyno Video - Had a big lean spot as you can tell in the second pull

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It should work, you probably aren't making contact inside the plug with the pin on the back of the DVD unit. I would see if you can find a female pin that fits in the plug. If you can't find a pin a piece of 12awg wire could work also.

I tried that yesterday, bought 18-22 guage molex pins, they were the male ones though, and round. I notice the ones in the harness look to me square or rectangle. I tried the pin I bought and still no go. Does this work on the 09's? I ask because I notice that the lights on the nav unit stay lit while you are moving slowly, like 2-3 mph, once you get above that they dim out. Seems like it is tied to the speedometer somehow. Oh well, no big deal.

It should work for every year since all the units are basically the same. I believe they are indeed a square molex pin. The nav is hooked up to the CAN-BUS system which tells the nav things like speed, throttle position, fuel economy etc...

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

The pins in the nav's harness aren't Molex. If someone can post some good, in-focus, close-up pictures -- looking straight on at the pins side of the car's harness and the socket on the nav unit -- I might be able to identify the correct pins.

The pins in the nav's harness aren't Molex. If someone can post some good, in-focus, close-up pictures -- looking straight on at the pins side of the car's harness and the socket on the nav unit -- I might be able to identify the correct pins.

I would agree, the molex connector goes in, but obviously not down to the bottom where the contact must be. Maybe I an auto parts store would have them.

R226 DVD Drive (mine as two extra wires since its not the OEM subaru harness/plug)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/StevenCole/Auto%20Photo%20Shoots/Legacy/DSC_0793.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/StevenCole/Auto%20Photo%20Shoots/Legacy/DSC_0795.jpg

I119 or I120 DVD Screen (forget which one it is)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/StevenCole/Auto%20Photo%20Shoots/Legacy/DSC_0789.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/StevenCole/Auto%20Photo%20Shoots/Legacy/DSC_0788.jpg

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

• 2 months later...

A belated thanks for taking and uploading those. Great pics!

The 16-pin connector (your second pair of pictures) is from the same family as several other connectors used on the back of the OEM HU (aux/SWC/sub, A/C, CD changer bus). i119 is the harness with that same plug that plugs into the video display above the HU. I have those pins. Unfortunately, that's not the connector we care about.

The 10-pin connector is still a mystery to me. In the wiring diagram in this post [thanks, KKhiedr!], Subaru designates it as i50 (that diagram is probably for an earlier year).

XiiiXiii has a good angle view of the bottom and side in post #1...

1038568310_closeupcropped.jpg.adcc2a49b0f00bc398d74f98136bb67f.jpg

Can you post one more pic of the top? And the socket on the underseat unit (without this harness present)?

What's the center-to-center pin spacing in mm? (measure across the 6 pins on the bottom and divide by 5)

• 2 weeks later...
Quick and painless, finally got around to doing to my 08' 3.0R, I used a pin connector from a small motor to a paintball hopper. It was square fit right in and used a 18 gauge solid tucked underneath the wire to make sure it was sturdy and 1st try a success. Good thread.

• 1 month later...

Just did this in about 20-30 minutes without removing the seat. The most difficult part was plugging the connector in again since there is no room. Yes, it would have been much easier if I had removed the seat, but I'm a little lazy today and am woeful of tampering with things that keep me in place should I get in an accident.

I used a wire/pin from an old computer power supply (the floppy disk connector), then the pin snapped in the nav plug like it was meant to be there. Works like a charm.

Will this work for the MY10 GT?

I have seen the DIY way of doing it by pulling the whole deck out but I'm just wondering if this method works also for the new model.....I get nervous thinking about taking the dash apart but doing the hack via the amp under the seat seems a lot easier. Thanks.

The 2010 nav HU is a single-piece unit in the dash, analogous to the one used in Imprezas since 2008. Sorry, but you'll have to open up your dash.

Just search for walk-throughs, apply protective masking tape around all of the trim pieces you'll be working on, work in bright daylight, and go slowly. You can do it!

• 2 weeks later...

OK, does anyone know how to enable the aux video while the lights are on? When I turn on the lights, the aux video gets disabled and it goes bak to the last nav screen that I was viewing. I thought that I had jumpered to the wrong wire while I was under there, but I checked today and it was correct, 2 to 5, or in other words, 2 to ground.

I'm trying out my Magden M1 and I'd like to use it at night as well as in the day :lol:

lol

are you using the aux plug on the back of the nav screen unit? what do you have the video wire connected to - the magden? I am in the middle of my install - and did not see that issue with ipod video, but really need to check it so I can tell you if it is happening in my car. I think my screen just dims (no switch back to nav) when the lights go on, and then I can fix that by turning the lights off an on. will check and post back here.

• 1 month later...

Just completed this mod on a 2008. Works great, I used the Test diag screen to determine if the parking brake line was toggling. My 08 didnt have the parking brake listed in the regular vehicle signals menu. First I had a connection issue, then I used a random pin from a computer fan wiring harness and that did the trick.

Thanks for the info! Now if we could just get that "I agree" to go away ;)

VBG1 gauges available at www.gtboostgauge.com

• 3 months later...
In my diag screen, the PKB only shows off. Even with the ebrake up, and I didn't even do the mod yet. What gives??

Subaru never hooked up the parking brake. This mod uses that to make the computer think the parking brake is on.

Are you guys just putting a wire in there? I tried this several times using regular wire, and then grounding it on the nut that holds the metal guard on it, but it never works. I went to an auto store to look for some pin connectors but they didn't have any small enough. Also went to radio shack and tried the molex ones, but that didn't do it either.

Are you guys just putting a wire in there? I tried this several times using regular wire, and then grounding it on the nut that holds the metal guard on it, but it never works. I went to an auto store to look for some pin connectors but they didn't have any small enough. Also went to radio shack and tried the molex ones, but that didn't do it either.

I pulled out a molex connector from an old computer power supply I had laying around. It was from the plug that would connect to a floppy disk drive. Then I stuck it in the nav connector and it clicked in like it was supposed to be there.

!cid__1028101055b.thumb.jpg.f83a0742d8312c3b5f0781ae8616e3fc.jpg

I pulled out a molex connector from an old computer power supply I had laying around. It was from the plug that would connect to a floppy disk drive. Then I stuck it in the nav connector and it clicked in like it was supposed to be there.

Nice, this was a good idea, I had a harness stashed in a drawer and tried it. The pin was actually so small that I had to stick 2 in there, but it worked right away. Thanks for the tip. Now if I ever have the ambition to try and take that plastic dash off without cracking it I can do the same on the nav screen so I can play the dvd's from the rear entertainment system on it.

• 1 month later...

Thanx for the trick

Only problem: i have a 2005 Outback, as i live in Europe the unit is in het glove box at the side of the centerconsole...

a real pain to reach as its tucked away...

but it worked: put a soldered wire in open space en made ground tot a chassis bolt.

really nice!!!

The other connectors for the back of the radio - do you know who makes those pins/connectors and what series they are? I have been searching high and low forever and keep coming up empty.

They appear to be similar to the ones used for the clock connector and cig lighter plug that I also want to extend.

Archived