LegacyGT.com

INSTRUCTIONS TO: unlock NAV while in motion

XiiiXiii

You're right about that auto select not working anymore. I didn't even think about that but after you mention it I did notice it didn't do it anymore. I just didn't put 1 and 1 together. Oh well, its not even a big deal. Shoot I might even just put a toggle switch in to be lazy. Not like I am always inputing data while driving anyways.

Good to see so many successful results. I've been so busy this summer I haven't had time to even drive my car in the past month. Good thing is I'm dedicating Saturday to work on the Legacy. I'm going to gut the NAV screen apart and start studying it to hopefully hack the annoyance screen.

I'll paypal you $10 if you find a successful mod that doesn't require any add-ons to the circuitry.

lol

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks XiiiXiii for this excellent hack~!! it works like a charm.. LOL

but i had a question.. after this mod tho, my nav is completely lost..

it keeps on telling me that im going in circles.. what the heck.. ? anyone familiar with this.. ??

it tries to catch up with sat. i guess so it occasionally corrects itself in terms of location, but then it goes in circles again..

is there an extra procedure that i forgot to skip.. ?? how do i fix this.. ?? :S

• 2 weeks later...

It's REALLY nice not to have wires, have to take the unit down when heading to less "safe" areas (even the safe areas are not safe anymore for electronics.) and have to carry around extra equipment (I have a PDA and Bluetooth GPS, chargers for both, and had to get a vent-mount or suction cup cradle to prop it up.)

I find the OEM NAV to be pretty easy to use, and offer decent routing. My Garmin is a little more advanced in terms of programming in custom routes, but it's not a show stopper for me.

You also have the gyroscopes and speed sensors that will keep your screen updated when going through tunnels, or areas without a clear shot of the sky.

I'd definitely get it again in my next vehicle.

When Chuck Norris was born, the only person who cried was the doctor. Never slap Chuck Norris. - E.J.S.

The OEM nav/info system works just fine.

When the Spec.B first came out, there were a lot of detractors on this site as to the nav's functionality. I use it all the time in ever evolving ways because there seem to be a huge number of way to use it. The down side is that the one update made available is realatively expensive at $200+ and so far are really just updates of some stored data. The hard drive is pretty powerful so programming updates could and should also be made.

^ Make sure that you're zoomed in enough to find some minor streets. I'm not saying that they're in the data base but it's something to be aware of. I've not run across any missing streets in my area but I'm sure I will as developement continues.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did the mod this afternoon - works like a charm. Took about 45 minutes. The longest time was to unbolt/re-bolt the seat.

1) unbolt the seat so you can tilt it back. I left the rear bolt in the center tunnel in and just pivoted the seat on it.

2) unclip the connector shown in pictures in this thread and attach a jumper from pin 2 to pin 5. I used a crimp connector like those for a phone tap.

3) strip and double up the end of the jumper and stuff it in the pin 5 hole. It didn't completely fill the hole, so I stuffed a small section of paper clip in to make it force the finer wires of the jumper to the 'bottom' of the plug.

4) put it all back together and enjoy. I played with it a bit and basically can now do anything moving that you can do while stationary.

Thanks to all who talked this through and supplied pics and diagrams. Couldn't have done this without it.

300k miles, BNR 16g, CryoTune, 'Bullet-Proofed' IC, Motor rebuild @ 250k b/c of a cracked exhaust valve. Original 5 EAT. Oil changed religiously @ 3,000 mi.

I'm so glad that somebody resurrected this old thread recently, or I never would have noticed it...

I did this wiring hack today, and it works like a charm! I unfortunately ran into a couple of problems at first, so I'll post my experiences here in case it helps anybody:

I used a 4-inch piece of heavy-gauge solid (unstranded) wire. I'm not sure of the gauge, probably about 14 gauge (at least twice as thick as a paper clip). I crimped a solderless ring tongue terminal to one end of the wire, and threaded the other end into the socket described above. It was too loose, so I doubled up the end, squeezed the fold together tight enough so it would fit inside the hole in the plug (it was a very snug fit), and then connected the ring end to the bolt on top of the DVD drive bracket. I put everything back together and took it for a test drive, and it didn't work. :icon_frow I had actually checked the nav diagnostic screen before I put the seat back together, but I misread what I was supposed to be looking for (it said that the parking break was "off," and I should have been looking for it to read "on").

I figured that the doubled-up wire didn't go far enough into the hole to make contact with the pin, so after the requisite period of cursing, I took everything back apart, un-doubled-up the wire, put it all the way through the hole until I could see the tip of the wire at the other end of the connector plug, then I jammed a short piece of cut paper clip in alongside it to hold it in place. This unfortunately broke the tiny plastic divider wall (septum) that separates the end of the pin hole from the adjacent smaller hole on the plug (hard to describe what I mean without a picture), but I plugged the connector back into the socket, and it seemed to be holding okay... though the wire isn't especially tight in the hole--I could easily pull it out with a light tug, so I hope it will hold. Apparently this was good enough, because this time it worked!

In the process of reinstalling the seat bolts, I somehow managed to cross-thread one bolt (a bolt which I actually had some trouble removing, so I wonder if it was improperly seated in the first place). At the first sign of resistance, I backed the bolt out and tried to reinsert it, but it still wouldn't thread properly, so I had to force the bolt through, and it took all my strength, using a pair of work gloves to keep the socket wrench from blistering my hands, to get the bolt back in. :mad: I was basically trying to create new threads. I kept worrying that the bolt head would snap off or the threads would completely strip, but it didn't, and I eventually managed to tighten it completely (after about 3 rest breaks).

Anyway, thanks so much to XiiiXiii for posting the hack! I can't believe I've been driving this car around for a year now without having this simple fix in place. This will make it so much easier (and potentially less disruptive of traffic) than trying to type in a destination in phases each time I stop for a few seconds at each of several traffic lights.

I hope there is a similar hack for the 08 Impreza's. I thought it was dumb to disable entry in the first place, did this hack and I got so used to this in the Legacy that now it is 1000x more annoying in the Impreza. There is nothing like pulling over on the side of the highway to enter a destination while you have a passenger doing nothing.

I am very much considering just replacing the entire Premium Sound/DVD/Nav in the Impreza and going with an aftermarket double din unit, but I would much like to use this hack in the meantime.

EDIT: In the Impreza it actually IS worse though, it is an upgraded system and has more options, unfortunately 'Previous Destinations' (something normally unlocked) is now on page 2 and you can't get to page 2 while in motion. Also, since the nav controls the stereo, you cannot adjust stereo settings (bass, treble, balance, fader, eq, etc) while the car is in motion, and what is the point of including a DVD player and AUX video input if you shut it off when the car starts moving? Why even include those features if you can only use them in a parked car draining your battery or pointlessly polluting the environment.

E-brake sensors FTL!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived