LegacyGT.com

INSTRUCTIONS TO: unlock NAV while in motion

XiiiXiii

where is your car drew?

I had to swap my car out with my mother's Honda CR-V to drive it to NY for her. Last year I drove my car on vacation to NE and it was such a great ride. This mod would have made the trip even better.

ProTUNED by RaminiSports :icon_mrgr

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there something different on later models? I can watch videos off my AVOX and my Zune on my 06 with no problem.

Damn, that sucks. I was hoping that the video in motion hack would work. I guess the software of the screen uses the speed sensor to lock you out. I would test cutting that line, but I'm not sure if items such as maintenance monitor will break.

Hopefully this Sunday I have some free time. I want to gut the nav screen out and analyze it. See if that touch panel is easy to take apart to look at the internals.

imouse....

I know I can search all night...but give me a quick idea of how you are getting video on your nav screen and what you are doing....

obviously the DVD player that the nav uses does not play DVDs so what's the trick.... there are lots of ways but I wish there was an easy way...

do the 07 or 08 models allow you to play regular dvds?

what are you doing?

thanks

Nice! It took me a few tries: On the '08 nav (with V.2.0 DVD) there's no PKB. in the Vehicle signals screen. I thought it wasn't connected well. I had to go into the hidden diagnostics screen to see the sensor signal.

I jumpered pin 5 to Pin 2.

So you don't have to use the search button...

Hidden Diag Screen:

Press "Menu"

touch top center of screen for 10 seconds.

Type in 014220.

When Chuck Norris was born, the only person who cried was the doctor. Never slap Chuck Norris. - E.J.S.

The OP has an '07, and it shows "PKB. : On"

That field is blank on my screen. I assume it's a function of the Version 2.0 DVD, since the nav unit otherwise is the same. (Main diagnostics screen reports Kenwood 3100.)

Pin 2 is ground according to the schematic. This should be the same on all units, but verify which NAV hardware you have first. (The schematic I have is for both the Kenwood 3100 and 3200.)

When Chuck Norris was born, the only person who cried was the doctor. Never slap Chuck Norris. - E.J.S.

• 2 weeks later...

great mod thanks a lot! I just stripped both ends of the wire jammed one end in the connector and used liquid masking tape (hopefully it will hold) and stripped the other end and put it under the Phillips screw on the top right corner of the unit. Working great si far to bad I still have to cut and ground the wire on back of the nav screen to get it to play the video input when rolling. I hate taking the nav bezel off! You would think this fix would take care of the other too after all each one is grounded to make the car think the parking brake is up. I just don't understand having to do both?!?

Anyway thanks again for this tip.

Anthony

EDIT: This needs to be stickied in this area and in the basic modification walk through area! There are plenty of pics and it should be abundantly clear to any moron how to get this job done right with all the info that has been posted in this thread. Sticky it save everyone the trouble of telling newbies to search; when they ask how to use their navigation system while rolling.

STICKY THIS THREAD!!

If they don't know how to search, I'm not sure I want them paying attention to the NAV while trying to drive!;)

I've got V2.0 DVD so I guess I'll have to try this again. I couldn't get the PKB to show up so I gave up after an hour.

I'll try again another day.

You won't see it on the 2.0 DVD. You have to go into the hidden diagnostics menu (I mentioned how to find that menu earlier in this thread.)

I've noticed that before the mod, it used to automatically select a route if you didn't confirm within about 30 seconds or so when there were multiples. Now, it now no longer does that. It's a small price to pay, though.

You won't see it on the 2.0 DVD. You have to go into the hidden diagnostics menu (I mentioned how to find that menu earlier in this thread.)

I've noticed that before the mod, it used to automatically select a route if you didn't confirm within about 30 seconds or so when there were multiples. Now, it now no longer does that. It's a small price to pay, though.

Yes. I noticed that as well but, as you say, a very small price to pay for such a great hack.

• 2 weeks later...
I was linked here from another Subaru forum and I just wanted to say that on my 06 Tribeca you do not need to remove the seat in any fashion to do this (I also think it is harder to remove the seat because it is a power seat?). There is a black metal panel covering the back of the DVD/GPS unit and it is secured by two bolts. You access everything under the driver seat from the back seat going under. Jam a wire in there and screw the other end around the right side bolt that secures the black metal plate when you put it back and you're all set. cheers!

I was linked here from another Subaru forum and I just wanted to say that on my 06 Tribeca you do not need to remove the seat in any fashion to do this (I also think it is harder to remove the seat because it is a power seat?). There is a black metal panel covering the back of the DVD/GPS unit and it is secured by two bolts. You access everything under the driver seat from the back seat going under. Jam a wire in there and screw the other end around the right side bolt that secures the black metal plate when you put it back and you're all set. cheers!

Thanks for the input but its definitely different in the Legacy. There are only 4 bolts to remove the power seat. And the wiring in question is in the front, not behind the seat.

Although I am comparing it to an 07 Legacy so maybe changes have been made compared to 06s?

lol

^ When you ground that wire which tells the 'puter that the parking brake is on, the puter no longer automatically selects quickest route after 10 or so seconds while you are in motion. Pretty minor side effect, IMHO.

You're right about that auto select not working anymore. I didn't even think about that but after you mention it I did notice it didn't do it anymore. I just didn't put 1 and 1 together. Oh well, its not even a big deal. Shoot I might even just put a toggle switch in to be lazy. Not like I am always inputing data while driving anyways.

Good to see so many successful results. I've been so busy this summer I haven't had time to even drive my car in the past month. Good thing is I'm dedicating Saturday to work on the Legacy. I'm going to gut the NAV screen apart and start studying it to hopefully hack the annoyance screen.

Archived