press audio button

mute audio

press

sides of almost black screen what says audio off

order is

1 2

3 4

5 6

after that you see the dealer diagnostic menus.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIZHVl_woLo]YouTube - 14082009016[/ame]

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hmmmm, you get the radio stuff through the nav....panther piss.
Thats how the impreza's do it also, and unless you do this mod its even more annoying than not being able to enter a dest while moving as now you cant adjust radio while moving either.

Thats how the impreza's do it also, and unless you do this mod its even more annoying than not being able to enter a dest while moving as now you cant adjust radio while moving either.

:lol: forget it then...I'll keep my current setup and stop complaining! :lol:

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

I just did this on my 08 Spec B. Works!!!!

I wish I would have done this a year ago!

I MAYBE could have done this without unbolting the seat BUT it would have taken A LOT longer and I had it done in 20 mins by unbolting the seat.

Unbolting the seat was a lot easier than I imagined. I used my socket set and had it out in a few mins.

Question I have is how many Ft. lbs of TQ do i put the seats back with?

Thanks

Just switched my supra over to push button start and a key fob and was hoping to do the same to my spec B makes life easier just keeping something in your pocket and not removing it also the lack of bulky keys is good as things stand now I am missing my main suby key with keyless built into the key and only have the key chain version need to buy a replacement for the other and thought I may have found another way,

So I took off my seat today to take a look at the connector. I didn't have the pictures, tools or clip to ground the wire, but just wanted to check and make sure which spot I need to ground. Sorry about the picts, forgot to take my camera with me so it's crappy crackberry pictures.

So I want to ground the slot between the green and purple wires right? I found little pin connectors at radio shack that will fit into the slot

Yes, the one between the green and purple.

Hi, I have an Australian delivered MY09 GT Spec.B with Factory satnav (Kenwood 1200 system). The DVD drive is in the glove box, can anyone tell me if this mod works with this model or has tried it? Thanks!

can someone tell me how i am suppose to remove the navi screen? i removed the vents, the two screws, but behind the screen it seems attached with white plastic pieces to another peice thats black and plastic? urgent since im in the car writing this now! lol

thanks in advance

UPDATE...

i just tried pulling with enough force to pull out a tooth and guess what. it shot out. two deep gashes in my hand later i look back thinking i should have wore gloves. blood and sweat. i guess the tears will be tears of joy.

...The DVD drive is in the glove box...
I recall reading somewhere -- maybe in this thread, maybe somewhere else -- that the configuration had changed in '09 (this mod worked nicely in both '07 and '08 cars). And I haven't seen anything specific to '09+ that suggests an alternative, sorry. Keep searching, though, as there are others out there who are quite motivated, I'm sure. HPH

Wow. This is as simple as everyone says it is. I thought the seat was going to be a pain to remove, but it literally took 2 minutes to remove the 4 bolts and tilt the seat back which made the hack so much easier. I used some left over antenna wire from my home theater system that had soldering on the ends and threaded it through the larger opening on the harness then brought it back through the small opening leaving a little slack. I then secured it to the wire bundle with electrical tape and grounded the other end to the bracket screw holding the nav system. Entire hack took 20 minutes, if that. What a great hack! Thanks!

Reinstalling the seat...I had the same concern. I have a Legacy tech manual and it doesn't say anything about how many ft-lbs of torque to use. I just estimated it based on how much strength it took to loosen it. It's definitely on tight.

I found the right tabs that fit in the connector so I thinking about making a dozen wires or so to see if people want them.

So how many people might want the ground wire with the connector that slides into the black connector block on the NAV unit?

So...I thought I had this little hack complete, went for a drive...and...nope, didn't work. I should've read further into the thread where it talks about the hidden diag. screen, that way I could've tested my connection.

But now, with the seat back in of course, when I access this screen, it says PKB: Off - all the time! Regardless of whether or not the parking brake is actually on or off? What gives? Should this not read on when it's on, even if my connection is bad; and read on all the time if my connection is good?

2013 Ford Taurus SHO

2009 Spec.B SWP Stg 2+ Airboy tuned

2010 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 5.7

From my understanding it should read that the PKB is ON all the time for the hack to work. You must not have the connection right. The PKB sensor is not actually connected and if you ground it, then it thinks the PKB is on and allows input.

Right, but assuming my connection is not good, shouldn't the screen still say ON if the parking brake is actually ON - when parked, car running, p.brake up(ON)?

2013 Ford Taurus SHO

2009 Spec.B SWP Stg 2+ Airboy tuned

2010 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 5.7

Did this hack a few days ago on my 09 spec.B using the photo of the harness from the very first post. I did not remove seat just moved it all the way back. Detached the harness, pulled it out a little, put in some 16 gauge speaker wire wrapped over itself to make it larger. I wrapped it with the other wires using electrical tape. I fished the speaker wire toward the back and then moved the seat all the way up. I attached it to an easily accessible screw on the DVD unit. After the system reboot, I checked the hidden screen using the instructions in this thread and did a test drive. The total time to complete was less the 10 minutes. Works perfect. Wife loves it. As a passenger she can use the system while we are moving. Thanks to everyone who did the work to figure this out.

Right, but assuming my connection is not good, shouldn't the screen still say ON if the parking brake is actually ON - when parked, car running, p.brake up(ON)?

I dont think so. It does not know if the PKB is on or off since the sensor is not wired. That is why we are grounding it. So it thinks the PKB is on and the program is made in such a way that it allows input while moving. Almost like they made for that feature. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Very quick question: Could this mod could be applied to Nav systems in other cars (I have other non-subie cars...)? Not to detract from Subie, but I'm curious if this solution can be modified accordingly and applied to other Nav systems...

• 1 month later...
Does this not work for the 09's? I have tried this 3 times now and no go. I was just using a piece of wire, I folded the end over to thicken it up. It seems like it is in nice and tight, but who knows. Did anyone crimp a pin or something on the end of the wire?

Archived