• Last Reply

Few more photos...

http://www.subaruboxer.com/24hours/dsc_0338.jpg

http://www.subaruboxer.com/24hours/dsc_0339.jpg

http://www.subaruboxer.com/24hours/dsc_0341.jpg

http://www.subaruboxer.com/24hours/dsc_0344.jpg

http://www.subaruboxer.com/24hours/dsc_0374.jpg

http://www.subaruboxer.com/24hours/dsc_0395.jpg

Hey guys. Just checking in from Tracy, CA (the site of the race) :) We just got the car ready in time to leave early this afternoon and got to the track around 7:00pm. We passed an admitedly cursory tech inspect with flying colors. There are an incredibly wide variety of cars represented and an even wider disparity in the level of preparation an support for the cars. Last year's race was largely a purely fun event with many team approaching it with more than a little whimsy. I figured that since the race got a lot of press attention last year, that this years race would feature some far more serious efforts. If the early check-in crowd is any indication, I was right about that assesment.

Our car and level of preparation within the rules would have made us one of the best prepped cars last year, but will likely only have us around midpack, or upper middle pack this year. Let's put it this way, a couple teams showed up in 18 wheeler full race trailers... the kind that wouldn't be out of place a major motorsports event :eek: There are a bunch of cars that should be fast out there. An Alfa Romeo Spyder was tearing up the track during a practice session when we were pulling in. There are a number of Mazda RX-7's and Miatas that look formitable as well as a Volvo 740 Turbo that looked like it might pack a serious punch under the hood. We even heard rumors of a Civic with a fully built motor with forger pistons, Ti rods and such (all impossible to fit in to the race stipulated $500 max budget). I still like our chances to runs a lot of laps and remain in contention even though our car might be a bit down on power in comparison to some of the potentially fast competition. Hopefully Subaru reliability will allow us to stay out on the track while some of the hotter cars are sitting in the pits. Our car feels great on our admitedly very limited test drives. It might be a bit tail happy and we didn't have the time to get it aligned, so we might be making some guesstimated on the fly suspension tuning changes. Hopefully we can make the car stick to our satisfaction.

That's about it for now. Gotta get some sleep and be back at the track at 9am in the morning. Wish us luck! :)

lol the paint job looks awsome.

reza looks like he is dropping a load in the last pic.

That is the work of our teammate Mike Lewis. He is a custom painter by trade (and a damn fine one!) and a midget and dwarf car racer. We really lucked out recruiting him for our team. The kicker on the paint job is that the paint was free. It was a bunch of different old remnant cans of paint from the auto body shop across the street from Yimi Sport. Mike mixed them all together while Yim and I sanded down the car and gave it a quick rinse. Mike shot the car and then speckled it to give it a stone like appearance. The total time including prep for the basecoat was 1:45. He took quite a bit more time to air brush on the details, names, sponsors and numbers, but it wasn't a big production at all and it was all practically free. Quite a few people in the pits walked up and complimented us on the paint job. If they only knew!;):lol:

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/07/07/24-hours-of-lemons-saturday-madness-begins/

noooooo to the 3:21PM update.... Any news from you guys?

Unfortunately yes:( :( :(. We were EASILY the FASTEST car on the track. Mike Lewis was our first driver and he was absolutely blazing up the track. We were running in second place for a while, but only because the first place car had been awarded a 10 lap head start by virtue of winning the qualifying event (a slalom run in reverse:lol:) We had passed every car in the field at least 2 times when the motor let go.

My forensic analysis is that a (or both) headgaskets let go and then the car spun a rod bearing. The motor seized up and we are done. There are a bunch of things that could have gone wrong that we could have fixed and continued on with, but our failure is terminal.

Up to that point we were likely the most popular car in the race. Tons of people came by our pit and complimented us on the car and just about everyone who walked by took pictures of the car. We were interviewed by a number of camera crews and Car and Driver magazine is coming back to interview us for their website tomorrow. The funniest thing is that when we were black flagged at 3:15pm, the race official (Jay Lamm, the organizer) told Mike: "It's obvious you are the fastest car on the track because you've passed everyone at least twice already, so I figured I'd bring you in so we could talk about it..." :mad::rolleyes::lol: Kinda f'ed up, but funny at the same time. We blew up 6 minutes later.

I'm obviously disappointed, as the car handled amazingly well and Mike drove it like a bat outta hell. We have already talked to the race organizers about running the October race and he guaranteed us a spot, and assigned our car a $0 value, so we have $500 to put a motor back in the car and make it even faster. I'm weighing our options, but suffice to say, that if they thought we were fast this time around, they'll be in awe in a few months.:spin:

^^^^^

Thanks for the updates Paul. That really sucks about the motor. But hey, now you can come back stronger then EVARZ!!! :spin:

Can't wait to see the C & D interview. Make sure to post some links for us. :D

We're pround of ALL OF YOU GUYS!!! :D

EDIT: WTH?!?? I don't even know what this pic is?? I didn't even post a pic :iam::confused:

\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/

DSC00529.JPG.8a6aa2165ab6cb2db3e5ebe46bceeecd.JPG

:munch:

Nice find. Mike Lewis was driving. Given our limited time out there, he was the only one of us who saw seat time. That pic came right after he had been taken out by a Mercury Sable that he had just passed. The Sable nailed him right in front of his inside rear tire and spun him right in to the truck tire. Mike straightened it out, drove right over the tire and passed the Sable before the end of the next turn.

We had an in car camera running the whole time and I gotta say the driving was EXTREMELY impressive. The other thing I discovered is that the car ran hot almost right from the get go. Really hot. I'm pissed because I had just flushed the coolant and replaced it with water as per the rules, but I left in the stock thermostat because there wasn't a cooler one available off the shelf. Since the car had always run great in our limited test drives and on the dyno, I figured I'd leave well enough alone. From the vid, where the temp gauge is clearly visible the whole time, the thermostat was likely stuck at least partially closed. This obviously shot the temps skyward, overheating the motor and killing it. Sucks when a $5 part kills your weekend, but I guess that's racing.

After seeing the car run in person, and watching the in car vid, I'm probably going to rebuild the N/A 2.5. It had plenty of power and I'm sure we can build a good one that will last.... as long as the freaking thermostat opens up...:rolleyes:

I'm very proud of you guys despite the unfortunate glitch. I could sense from the beginning that the team had put more thought, cleverness, and heart into the endeavor then anyone else. You're heroes to us all!
...sporting the hottest Legacy on the westside of my block:icon_bigg

I've been keeping up on your efforts for 1+ month and congradulate all of you. I think it great that an idea started nearly 1.5 years ago and realized by additional enthusiasts is what can culminate here at/on legacygt.com. KUDOS TO Y'ALL......

Archived