LegacyGT.com

24 hr Beater Race

urfsin

The street value of a reasonable 2.5L is actually right about $500. I've actually seen some go for as low as $300. None turned up locally though up to this point. I was trying to buy a 2.5L shortblock in Chicago that the seller had listed for $70. So suffice to say the motor is not going to raise any eyebrows. Especially since it is more or less just like the one we pulled out. We didn't swap up to a more powerful motor. I think if we showed up with an STi motor with a GT35R then people would take issue with it... ;)

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think if we showed up with an STi motor with a GT35R then people would take issue with it... ;)

that's what plastic engine covers are for.

ever look in an rx8 engine bay? cant see shit.

DEW IT

:lol:

car for sale. PM me!

2.5 DOHC. Just like what came out of the car. Once we get it's going off to the machine shop to have the block and heads decked. That will hopefully give us a nice flat surface for the new head gaskets to seal against and bump up the compression a bit for some more power.

Sweet. So are you just going to sell the heads you got on e-bay? They won't be good for a DOHC right? I guess with a nice new engine, my big worry is how the 4EAT is going to hold up. Did you look into the valve body upgrade, can we still do it?

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

Change of plans, but the story is just as good. Tim Bailey called us and he is now shipping us a complete motor from a 2001 Impreza RS. Fully dressed and ready to drop in the car. That is a SOHC motor. I'll keep the SOHC heads for now so we'll have spares for the race. If we can also bring the 2.2L motor, then we'll have the motherload of spare parts to keep us running.

The motor will be shipping from Portland tomorrow and we should have it by Friday. We are going to ask our buddies at the tranny shop in the complex to look over the 4EAT and see if anything is on its' way out. No guarantees on that since they are usually very busy, but we are going to ask. Tim Bailey's company (Surgeline Tuning) is picking up half of the $200 shipping cost. THANKS SURGELINE TUNING. You rock Tim!

Travis from Subiesport will be attending the event to cover it for the magazine, but we are now a little unsure if he will be driving with us. I need to talk to him and see if he still would like to join our team.

It's ALMOST alive again! :) I worked through a couple of issues today, but suffice to say the the new motor is tucked in peacefully in to it's new home tonight. I just have to find a 2.0/2.5L turbo upper radiator hose to work with our new STi radiator, drain and refill the oil and coolant and she'll be ready to fire up. Yim and I are also planning on wiring in his old S-AFC to see if it does anything on the dyno. Leaning it out should allow us to make some power... we'll see how much ;)

She is alive! We blew chunks of the old motor out of the exhaust the first few times I blipped the throttle :eek::lol: Found 6 or 7 chunks of the failed cylinder liner and another chunk of piston.

I have a little more work to get the ECU happy with some of the new sensors and I'm probably going to have to swap on the old throttle body since the new one has an IAC that the old ECU cannot control and is always partially open so the car idles too high . I also have to relocate one of the coolant temp senders from the old motor as the temp gauge is not working correctly right now. All in all, just minor issues that I should be able to work out in relatively short order.

We did dyno the car and it's down about 15 whp over the old motor. The reason is that it is now running pig rich. Above 4500 rpms it pegged the wideband rich. Probably something like 9:1 AFR. Waaaaaaaay too rich. For giggles we took a leaf blower :lol: and directed it in to the intake and we picked up 10 whp as the AFR leaned out to 10.5:1. We are going to try and figure out the wiring for the S-AFC tomorrow and hopefully tune the car to around 13.5:1 AFR. That will almost certainly pick up a good bit of power. I'm just hoping for about 5 whp more than the old motor, but Yim is guessing a bit more than that.

It actually worked. The car is currently pissing me off, because even with the AFR's cleaned up and it not making any power. We are currently down about 10whp and 5wtq from the old motor. Can't figure it out, unless the old motor was just a factory freak. Who knows.... going to try a few more things before I throw in the towel.

Midrange torque is about the same, but the top end is kinda flat and the motor falls on its' face after 6000rpm. I know the SOHC motors don't flow as well up top as the DOHC motors, but the loss kind of sucks. That is AFTER we wired in the SAFC and dialed in the AFR's. We are running it at 14:1 in the midrange tapering down to 13:1 from 4500 to redline. The AFR's are pretty steady, so that's really not the problem. We tried leaner, we tried richer, and it likes it lean, especially with the roughly 97 octane mix we have in the tank.

Before breaking for dinner I rewired the SAFC, double checked the gap on the plugs and bought some new plug wires. While the plugs were out I did a compression test and all 4 holes were super healthy at 185 psi. No variation at all. It's a tight, tight good condition motor, which pisses me off more because it really should be making some good power.

I might head back to the shop to work on it, but even if this is all it has, it does run well and will hopefully prove far more reliable than the old motor.

Archived