LegacyGT.com

The Official: Mountain Biking Thread

BDII

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish I had time to tune my bike this spring :frown:

I might take a a whole weekend and strip it down and clean, polish and lube the whole thing.

it hasnt been tuned since last spring :eek:

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

I just put a new pair of Kenda Nevegal's on my bike, but I have not ridden it yet. Anyone try these tires ?

I had a set of Maxxis Mobsters on but wanted to change to something a little lighter weight. It's getting hard to drag this thing up hills every year :(

fromwhat I understand, those are heavy tires. you'll feel it on the climbs
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I just put a new pair of Kenda Nevegal's on my bike, but I have not ridden it yet. Anyone try these tires ?

I know a ton of peeps running the Nevagals. I've been riding on them for a while now; 2.35 in the front and 2.1 in the rear.

The Nevagals are amazing over technical rocks and roots. They will grip over technical sections like crazy. Nevagals aren't particularly fast rolling and they have a thin side wall, although this spring Kenda has released a version with a reinforced sidewall. They also don't hook up well in soft sandy terrain.

If you're not too concerned about weight and you're not racing, these are great tires for riding on technical rocky and rooty terrain.

I ride on Panaracers Fire Comps. Very sticky with minimal tread wear.

I actually like these the best of all the tires I have tested. I ride on granite rocks alot and if you have a too hard of a tire you never get grip. I dont have this problem with these.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I have been out of the Mtn. biking world for about 8 years (since my bike that I loved got ran over by an 18-wheeler) I am back in CO and would really like to get a bike in the next few months. Plus, my wife has been a few times with me on rented bikes and enjoys it, so we both need a bike. I would want a intermediate-advanced fully suspended bike, and she would need a beginner-intermediate front suspension only. Price range, maybe $1500-2500 for mine and $700-1500 for hers...

Where should I start researching, and what brands/components do you recommend :D

:spin:

Praedet,

Talk to the good folks at http://www.ridemonkey.com for actual real-world opinions. For general information check http://www.pinkbike.com and http://www.mtbr.com .

Consider checking out http://www.transitionbikes.com/2007/ . They are owned by a couple of cool PNW guys. Bikes are high quality and are not just marketing hype by the big companies (Trek, specialized, Giant, etc.). The test all there stuff on some burly trails.

There prices might be a bit above your range new, but you might find last years model available from them or even some good condition used bikes. Other than them, you can find good value with the big companies. It can be a toss up one of they're bikes will be ideal for an enthusiast, but I am certain your wife won't complain.

http://www.transitionbikes.com/2007/images/PrestonFR_HomePic.jpg

I would want a intermediate-advanced fully suspended bike, and she would need a beginner-intermediate front suspension only. Price range, maybe $1500-2500 for mine and $700-1500 for hers...

Where should I start researching, and what brands/components do you recommend :D

Pick up one of the Mountain Bike Action buyer's guide issues. They're published annually, but I forget which month.

You'll find that you can get a FS for both of you, as the mainstream companies have largely abandoned the $1000-1500 hardtail in favor of FS. Most hardtails are either well under $1000 or XC race models that cost more than $1500.

You'll probably want to look for a 5-inch travel trail bike for maximum versatility. Something like a Specialized Stumpjumper 120 or a Santa Cruz Blur LT would fit the bill. For your wife, probably more of a 4-inch travel trail bike like a lower line Stumpjumper 100 or Giant Trance would be good.

As far as components, much of it is personal preference, e.g., SRAM or Shimano shifters/derailleurs, Hayes discs versus Avid discs, hydraulic or cable actuated discs, etc. Get to know the heirarchy within the brand you like. For example, SRAM X0 versus X9, Shimano XT versus LX, Avid Juicy 7s versus Juicy 5s, etc. Check around sites like pricepoint.com or jensonusa.com and look at the component prices, descriptions, weights, etc. That should help you get an idea of each brand's heirarchy.

Praedet,

First off..... does she ride hard? if not just get her a Raliegh... they are the highest rated quality for their price. I still have my hardtail and I can kill it.

Dont buy a new bike... they depreciate faster then our cars.

Buy used on Craigs list.

I got my FSR for $500, they are 2k+ new and its only 2 years old.

My buddy has a more downhillish Transition dirtbag that he wants to sell now that he totalled his car. It is a workout riding it around, but you have oodles of forgiveness when you decide to jump it. I have the bike in my garage at the moment... in fact, I know I have photo's of it. It is also in your price range and in good condition for this type of bike.

Imagine the bike below, mostly black with a 888 Marzocchi fork and other cool stuff. Size medium I want to say.

http://www.transitionbikes.com/2007/images/DirtBag_HomePic.jpg

These days, you really have to think about your intended application when picking a bike. For instance, will your riding be mostly cross-country trails, "all-mountain", downhill/freeride/big drop stuff, or something in between two of those categories? There are some great high-spec lightweight full-suspension cross-country bikes that would be totally inappropriate for freeride and big drops; conversely, a 50 lb. downhill/freeride bike would be a poor choice if your riding is mostly cross-country trails, with any amount of climbing. There are all kinds of bikes in between, so you want to make sure to pick one that is appropriate for what you want to do.

As for your wife's bike, you can get a really nicely spec'd hardtail for under $1,000, or a pretty decent full-suspension cross-country bike for $1,500. It might be worth it to pay up and get her a full-susser if it will inspire her to ride more and to take on trails that would be more fun for you.

Well, I will be doing the downhill only type riding every-so-often at the local ski areas, but for the most part, I need to be able to go down or up, or cross-country :D

I don't need STUPENDOUS landing ability.

:spin:

Archived