LegacyGT.com

The Official: Mountain Biking Thread

BDII

Dude I didn't know you started a MT bike thread!!?? Sweet!

I put the rack on yesterday and I'm hoping to ride tomorrow night in Hampstead or around Masebesic.

Randy tends to do very inhumane things to his bikes. I asked him how long he has had his hardtail (since it's pretty beat) and he said "oh maybe 6 months. "

I chased him for over two hours and went home with a few band-aids but it was fun.

Here are my rides:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/RC-NUT/MT%20BIKE/SJUMP1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/RC-NUT/MT%20BIKE/JAMIS1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/RC-NUT/MT%20BIKE/2BIKES.jpg

should be nice next weekend:cool: Bring both the Jamis and the Stumper, I want to try out the Jamis. When we go to ride I'll put it in my wagon:cool:

Is Masebesic open?

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you wanna ride this weekend? I'll have to check and see if the trails are open. I believe the trails around the lake are seperate from FOMBA in that they stay open year round. I figured some nice single and double track would be a good way to start the season.

The Jamis is no longer mine as of this weekend but it's going to stay at my house. I sold it too my brother in law who will hopefully be riding with us soon. The bike was a steal!! I found the guy online who built it over the winter for his girlfriend and she rode it once!! If you look it still has the stickers on the brake levers that need to be removed.

It's an 05' 25th Anniversary Dakar. It came with a Minute:3 with remote travel adjustment, a fox float that's been pushed, Avid Juicy seven brakes, and lots of other goodies. He built it from the ground up. I ended up working him down to $700 and I drove about 2 hours to get it.:)

For New England Types:

L.L. Beans is going to host the Specialized demo truck next

weekend.

The dates and locations:

Friday April 27, at the L.L. Bean bike store, the focus will be the

road bikes.

On Saturday April 28, at Bradbury Mountain, we can demo the

Specialized mountain bikes.

On both days the times are form Noon until 6pm.

I have no idea what is on the trailer, but I am sure that they will

have a decent selection from across their lineup. I have also heard

rumors of some S-Works bikes.

Bradbury is in Pownell, Maine- just across 95N from LL Bean...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/RC-NUT/MT%20BIKE/JAMIS1.jpg

How do you like your Jamis? My LBS has be interested in a 06 or 07 Dakar XLT, and for the money, I can't find anyting better.

I just need to sell one or two of my bikes.

Anyone insterested in a Haro Escape 8.3?

How do you like your Jamis? My LBS has be interested in a 06 or 07 Dakar XLT, and for the money, I can't find anyting better.

To tell you the truth I don't have an opinion.:lol: I bought it during the winter and only took it up and down the street to check the components. My brother in law has about 10 miles on it and is in heaven. For the money its a very nice bike. The only problem I know of is the rear swing arm likes to crack along the weld closest to the rear bolts. Another buddy of mine rides a 2005 XLT and his snapped while we were riding fairly smooth terrain. They hopefully have that problem fixed at this point.

I really miss my Cannondale. For some reason the geometry fit me much better than my FSR.

Been MTBing since `92 off and on, mostly on. My original mount was a `91 Bridgestone MB-2 stiffie which I upgraded with a Manitou 3, then Manitou SX front fork. It still has the original 7-speed thumbshifters, Diacompe canti brakes, Edco BB, Shimano DX/XT cranks/derailleurs, Shimano/Ritchey rear wheel and Ritchey seatpost/stem/handlebar/headset. I just moved to FS this past summer with a ~`00 Santa Cruz Superlight w/ SID front fork, Fox Float R shock, Shimano mix, Race Face cranks and Mavic Crossmax wheels. It's a nice bike but still a little twitchy for my tastes. I almost bought an `06 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert off eBay a week or so but I've really been jonesing for a Blur LT or Intense Spyder so we'll see. I may even revert back to a ferrous hardtail w/ a more modern setup of 9-sp rear and V-brakes.

My bike is one of the higher end models w/ Ritchey Logic Prestige tubing, made I believe by Tange of Japan. I had a NOS pair of 8-sp XT thumbies I was going to upgrade to but I sold them a couple of years ago. Now I'm wondering if I would be better off upgrading my bike to 9-sp and V-brakes or just buy a newer Bridgestone, Ritchey or other lugged steel bike. As you noted my bike has a 1" threaded steerer, and it would be almost impossible to find a decent replacement fork, even if I upgraded to Aheadset.

Retrogrouches unite. My previous mtb was an Ibis SS. That bike was heavier than my current Marin with dual suspension. Heck that Koski rigid fork weighs more than most front suspension fork. I miss that bike especially the Hand Job rear brake cable stop that was painted flesh color.

You are pretty much screwed on upgrades. Just buy a new bike instead of trying to upgrade obsolete items.

I remember those old Bridgestones- 4130 chromo with a 1" headtube, right? Can't find a fork for them anymore. Those thumbies are vintage, tho- let me know if you ever want to sell or swap them...

I believe the higher end models (MB1, MB2, MB3) had a Japanese built lugged frame. Very cool! :wub:

Don't forget the MB-0 (or MB-zip if you prefer). The MB-2 has Ritchey Logic Prestige main triangle and Ritchey logic seat- and chainstays. The MB-1 and MB-0 are full Ritchey Logic Prestige. The -zip has component upgrades such as a beautiful Mavic crank. I remember I was in Singapore in Jan 95 and a bike shop there had 2 NEW 1991 MB-1s. They were spotless - even the wheels were in plastic. They were selling them for US $500 each:icon_mrgr I seriously considered buying them both and bringing them over, but at the time it seemed like too much hassle for the money.

Hey, I still have my Mavic parts, SSC crank, SSC front derailleur, SSC rear derailleur. The crank and front derailleur are still on my road bike. The entire derailleur is fully rebuildable, only problem is no one has the parts.

BTW, there are a few pro riders using a new version of biopace. Bobby Julich is one of them.

Question...

How long does the Hydrolic fluid last in most bike brake systems?

depending on how much you use it, I'd change the fluid mininum once a year. I've got avid mechanicals and love them. very easy to adjust pad distance at the rotor.

search MTBR.com.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Question...

How long does the Hydrolic fluid last in most bike brake systems?

What is Hydrolic fluid? Hydraulic brake fluid on most disk brakes are DOT brake fluid. Just change it when you have to bleed the brakes. Some like Hayes brakes, if you are bleeding the system, you pretty much end up flushing all the old fluid out.

Archived